MBTI
    eNTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    LIE

Default Do you agree with this?

Do you agree with this? why/why not:

"Everything is a paradox, nothing has meaning, and there are no given morals. Neither side of an argument is right until man, by his own will, chooses to take on a side as something to build his facade with and give himself a personally designed meaning and purpose. But what is intellect without action and the pursuit of the execution of consummate performance. If one does not strive to be an asset to society, then he runs the risk of falling by the wayside and becoming a liability. If a man is a liability then the total sum of the worth of his existence is not merely zero, but a negative value; he has then proved that he has no right to exist if his existence contributes to decreasing the total sum of the worth of the entire human race."

"I have no need for good souls; an accomplice is what I want"--Sartre

psychic changes are born in your heart, entertain.

Blog

Lasting_Pain

Sounds like something a Greek politician would say. But no I do not agree with the quote.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

That fed my Ne pretty good. It's spooky but i'm glad that person said/wrote it. Glad in the way that if it was imminent, i'd know who my friends are. And aren't. Unless that person you quoted was quoting someone else. Then i'd still be glad for the same reason. To answer though...i disagree. But these days someone that diabolicle keeps those things a secret. Which should invoke some sort of imminence. I'm guessing hitler?
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Harlow_Jem View Post

"Everything is a paradox, nothing has meaning, and there are no given morals. Neither side of an argument is right until man, by his own will, chooses to take on a side as something to build his facade with and give himself a personally designed meaning and purpose. But what is intellect without action. If one does not strive to be an asset to society, then he runs the risk of falling by the wayside and becoming a liability. If a man is a liability then the total sum of the worth of his existence is not merely zero, but a negative value; he has then proved that he has no right to exist if his existence contributes to decreasing the total sum of the worth of the entire human race."
    No.

Ultimately nothing matters, it's irrelevant. Is everything a paradox? I disagree, but that too is irrelevant. Society is irrelevant. There is no way to determine the worth of something, as worth doesn't exist. Worth is a human construct, entirely subjective.

And for me personally, I value things not by how they help society, but what I gain from it. Narcissistic yes, but there's really no other possible perspective.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Harlow_Jem View Post

"Everything is a paradox, nothing has meaning, and there are no given morals. Neither side of an argument is right until man, by his own will, chooses to take on a side as something to build his facade with and give himself a personally designed meaning and purpose.
    agreed

But what is intellect without action. If one does not strive to be an asset to society, then he runs the risk of falling by the wayside and becoming a liability. If a man is a liability then the total sum of the worth of his existence is not merely zero, but a negative value; he has then proved that he has no right to exist if his existence contributes to decreasing the total sum of the worth of the entire human race."
    I agree that this is what is needed to make society work, but as far as universal objectification goes, life's value is neither positive nor negative no matter what is done with that life.

mind of a nihilist, heart of hedonist
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)

Lasting_Pain

I just would like to know who said it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by SforzaRS View Post
    mind of a nihilist, heart of hedonist
    That's a good way of putting it.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

What is an asset to society? How does one define and delineate assets and liabilities within the entire context of human society? I agree with Costrin to a degree: everything is irrelevant and ultimately meaningless in the "bigger picture" (whatever that is). On a smaller scale things seem to gain more meaning and each person is his or her own judge of what meaning is. Therefore we'd have about 6 billion different ideas on what is meaningful to each person and to society as a whole. This could not be extrapolated into a bigger picture to be clustered into general "assets" and "liabilities" to society at large. So no, I don't agree with the quote. But it is interesting.
    9 wing 1

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I read it quickly, but I seem to agree, but I also think you should do your OWN homework.

The implications are troubling.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke