User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 28

  1. #1
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Question Death of conscioousness

    I often cointemplate death. what happens after your consciousness experience death? Theortically time is infinite. So when you experience death does time becomes 0? There is also another place in the universe where time is theortically 0. That is in the sigularity and inside a black hole. So is death same as being stuck inside a black hole?

    Even when everything ceased to exist, time still exist. So how can time ever be 0?
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  2. #2
    it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Doesn't it kind of repel you? Thinking about death is like hitting your head on something rubbery.

    Try this: in order to experience death, you'd have to experience it as an event, but an event is only an event because it has causes and effects. But death can have no causes, for consciousness, because nothing can appear to oneself after death. If you are dead, you are not experiencing anything, because death is the end of consciousness. So death appears as an effect, but one that does not have a reflection in causing anything, and in that sense, it is similar to a black hole, but even a black hole is not, you know, just an ABSOLUTE ending. It's a phenomena with causes and effects. Even a black hole will eventually dissipate.

    So you can't experience death as an event because you can't, in a sense, BE on both sides of it. There is simply nothing on the other side. But if that is true, then "death" is not something that can "happen" to you. It cannot be an event for you, so it kind of follows that YOU, as consciousness have no possibility of death happening to you.

    So you hear people ask, "what happens when I die?" and you watch carefully, and each and every time, someone will be thinking of themselves as conscious after death. You have to tell them to just back it up a step because, you know, what they've done is they've taken death and made it into something else, namely, something they fear, such as loss of agency. People can fear loss of agency, but no one can actually fear death because death can't happen to anyone. You as a manifested finite existence will perish, yes, because all things in this world come into being and go under giving rise to new forms, sure, but that doesn't mean death can happen to you. It's not there for anyone to contemplate as a kind of barrier or limitation or event because all these things require something to be on the other side of them, but in this case, there is NOTHING on the other side.

    As for time still existing when everything ceased to exist, most people will tell you that there is no time without change (and no change if nothing exists). That kind of makes sense to me. Why do you think there is time without change? I mean, it kind of stems from the old "identity of indiscernibles", which is also a common intuition. I mean, if there is no way of distinguishing one time from another time ... aren't they one and the same time?
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Feops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INTx
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    I often cointemplate death. what happens after your consciousness experience death? Theortically time is infinite. So when you experience death does time becomes 0? There is also another place in the universe where time is theortically 0. That is in the sigularity and inside a black hole. So is death same as being stuck inside a black hole?

    Even when everything ceased to exist, time still exist. So how can time ever be 0?
    The only logical conclusion I've ever come to about consciousness after death is that it will be very much like consciousness before one is born. In both cases it is (or was) in a state of non-existance. Time becomes irrelevent. Things that don't exist don't experience time. I didn't experience time before I was born. A singularity does exist and any theoretical warping of time it accomplishes is a function of time-space.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antireconciler View Post
    Doesn't it kind of repel you? Thinking about death is like hitting your head on something rubbery.

    Try this: in order to experience death, you'd have to experience it as an event, but an event is only an event because it has causes and effects. But death can have no causes, for consciousness, because nothing can appear to oneself after death. If you are dead, you are not experiencing anything, because death is the end of consciousness. So death appears as an effect, but one that does not have a reflection in causing anything, and in that sense, it is similar to a black hole, but even a black hole is not, you know, just an ABSOLUTE ending. It's a phenomena with causes and effects. Even a black hole will eventually dissipate.

    So you can't experience death as an event because you can't, in a sense, BE on both sides of it. There is simply nothing on the other side. But if that is true, then "death" is not something that can "happen" to you. It cannot be an event for you, so it kind of follows that YOU, as consciousness have no possibility of death happening to you.

    So you hear people ask, "what happens when I die?" and you watch carefully, and each and every time, someone will be thinking of themselves as conscious after death. You have to tell them to just back it up a step because, you know, what they've done is they've taken death and made it into something else, namely, something they fear, such as loss of agency. People can fear loss of agency, but no one can actually fear death because death can't happen to anyone. You as a manifested finite existence will perish, yes, because all things in this world come into being and go under giving rise to new forms, sure, but that doesn't mean death can happen to you. It's not there for anyone to contemplate as a kind of barrier or limitation or event because all these things require something to be on the other side of them, but in this case, there is NOTHING on the other side.

    As for time still existing when everything ceased to exist, most people will tell you that there is no time without change (and no change if nothing exists). That kind of makes sense to me. Why do you think there is time without change? I mean, it kind of stems from the old "identity of indiscernibles", which is also a common intuition. I mean, if there is no way of distinguishing one time from another time ... aren't they one and the same time?
    I can't imagine a reality where time and infinity ceased to exist.
    I was watching my grandma die on last friday, and I was really wondering whats going on inside her head as she is approaching death....

    As for time is impossible without change, I am not certain. Time is still there even when everything ceased vanish. I doubt time will cease to exist even when all matter vanish in the universe. Just as time and infinity can never be 0, time can never be 0 as long as our brain is functional. When we die, time itself will become 0. I cannot imagine what existance will be like by then.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  6. #6
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    I often cointemplate death. what happens after your consciousness experience death? Theortically time is infinite. So when you experience death does time becomes 0? There is also another place in the universe where time is theortically 0. That is in the sigularity and inside a black hole. So is death same as being stuck inside a black hole?

    Even when everything ceased to exist, time still exist. So how can time ever be 0?
    Day follows night, night day.
    Everything is finite.

    Where there is no end, there is no beginning.
    Where there is no decline, there is no growth.

    Define singularity.
    Define consciousness.
    You find a relationship?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,672

    Default

    I wouldn't be surprised if consciousness is 'reborn', so to speak, as detailed here: The Pros and Cons of Eternity

    If I had to bet money, I would say that after death, whatever 'happens' is probably impossible to imagine.

    Overall I don't think any of us have a clue about the nature of consciousness or what'll happen to it.

  8. #8
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    singularity is where space and time reached 0 curvatire.

    Time and infinity will always exist as long as the brain is functional. The question is does it still exist after we die?
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  9. #9
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    singularity is where space and time reached 0 curvatire.

    Time and infinity will always exist as long as the brain is functional. The question is does it still exist after we die?
    The answer is no.
    I am sorry.

    Rest now.
    See your priest tomorrow.
    Time heals all the wounds.

  10. #10
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    To many people see time as an object or a measurable idea. But it's not.

    Time is just a made up tool for us humans to comprehend movement. and Date events and such.

    As far as singularities go. I don't see it as time that stops inside of it. But rather that movement slows down and stops. Thinking and our brain is based on electrical surges, and therefor movement. If 'time' would stop, we would stop. Our consciousness would stop.

    Death is pretty much the same. Movement stops, consciousness stops.

    Time is irrelevant. (Some INTP irony for ya there. :P )


    Near death experiences or so called 'death experiences' are just limited conscious observations because the commands our brains give are suddenly limited or dampened for that duration of time. And by trying to reach out, our consciousness goes into a dream like state in which we try to hold on, or perhaps let go. Depending on the person in question ofcourse. But the fact is, we don't have the command to just shut down our brain consciously. Therefor the transitions are 'cloudy'.

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] How do NTs deal with death of friend/loved one
    By Vizconde in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 10:06 PM
  2. The Death of the Republican Party, Stardate Unknown
    By Wind Up Rex in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 01:58 PM
  3. Web 2.0 - the death of culture?
    By Langrenus in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO