User Tag List

First 123 Last

from what i know: when personal movement stops, (personal) time freezes, which creates the impression of reunion with a known infinity, as if you were still at that very same crossroad where you had been before you lost yourself in relative reality. as if - in all that time - you did not move a millimeter (did not develop a bit) - yet there is the idea of movement and the intention to succeed. the intention is almost involuntary and create a resistance as if the Niagara falls are pressing on me. this perspective on almost-infinity is the scariest place i know. it's also the closest thing to a home, or a mother. but it's just a partial and relative perspective anyway.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    To many people see time as an object or a measurable idea. But it's not.
    This is an odd assertion. How is time not measurable? I have a clock right in front of me that will keep pace with millions of other clocks. It's certainly consistant and has value.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

A clock measures itself. Not time.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I've had some accidents and near accidents in which everything seemed to slow down. You mean that?

I believe that's because of the sudden dominance of perception as well as adrenaline.

You mean that?
    i am referring to a drug induced dissociative experience. dissociative=gradually removing from reality, not physical reality, but the idea of both reality and human identity. (ego remains, when all concrete knowledge about the world or believe in the world is long gone. so, ego is not synonym to identity.) in experience this freeze is very different from a car crash (i had some of those), but in principle it might not be entirely different. there is a nature in time, a character, a feeling, that which is commonly called holiness, and both experiences are full of it, but in the car crash situation you don't notice it that clearly. but once you know this quality from somewhere else, you recognize it in retrospect in the car crash. (i mean me. English is funny with the "you")

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    singularity is where space and time reached 0 curvatire.

Time and infinity will always exist as long as the brain is functional. The question is does it still exist after we die?
    Did time existed before you were born?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

for some reason i can see/feel the holy taste of time in trees and houses, but when i am at home and look at my computer, i can't.

i tend to see human time and objective time (the eternal "now") as being different, yet of the same nature, as objective time is subjective to Spirit, and so is human time. but human time is still entirely different. before birth and in between the everyday little-deaths (it's like slices, like when you watch out of a train window and trees or a fence is nearby), there is a time, that is somehow/somewere in between the two extremes.

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    I can't imagine a reality where time and infinity ceased to exist.
    Exactly. No one can. Time, in some form, is a necessary condition for consciousness.

Near death experiences or so called 'death experiences' are just limited conscious observations because the commands our brains give are suddenly limited or dampened for that duration of time. And by trying to reach out, our consciousness goes into a dream like state in which we try to hold on, or perhaps let go. Depending on the person in question ofcourse. But the fact is, we don't have the command to just shut down our brain consciously. Therefor the transitions are 'cloudy'.
    This sounds accurate. Only activity can be conscious. Since death isn't, it can't be. NDE has a way of rapidly rewiring things because the mind becomes very much forced to the natural conclusions of some contradictions in our thinking which may lie only dormant or implicit for a long time. It raises consciousness because matters of life and death are the very consituents of consciousness. So it shouldn't be a surprise if NDE focuses consciousness.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if consciousness is 'reborn', so to speak, as detailed here: The Pros and Cons of Eternity

If I had to bet money, I would say that after death, whatever 'happens' is probably impossible to imagine.

Overall I don't think any of us have a clue about the nature of consciousness or what'll happen to it.
    Interesting.
    Basically a temporal version of what a Scientific American article suggested a few years ago. Assuming space is infinite, they said that the further you go out, you run out of every possible configuration of matter, so stuff can only then start repeating. Some things just like we see them, but also every other possibility. This site here is saying the same thing happens in endless time, using the quantum uncertainty principle.
    Then, others speak of parallel alternative universes, which split off at each event where one possibility was chose over another. (I would actually make that a third continuum in addition to space and time. call it "chance", perhaps).

Here is an essay I did on defining space and time, and conclusions made about stuff like time travel. BDMNQR Essays (just I draw heavily on string theory as taught by Brian Greene, which does say space and time themselves are determined by strings, and hence, "between" the strings (Planck length), the concept of space and time break down in favor of some sort of "commutative geometry matrices".
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTx

A clock measures itself. Not time.
    Semantics. You original assertion was that time couldn't be measured. Sure time isn't a material thing. Why does it need to be? The passage of time makes a material impact on what we do and we have tools that mechanically track this passage with precision.