• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Quiverfull Movement

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I totally understand that. I think my issue is more just with the fact that it doesn't seem like they had kids because they wanted kids. They had kids because they wanted soldiers.

I think there are probably people who thought of it that way. I seriously doubt they're anywhere close to a majority of the religious people who have a busload of kids. Most of them that I've come in contact with have really wanted to have a bunch of kids, and loved them all; the religious justification is sort of an "And besides, the bible says..." not their sole motivation.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
As a political tactic, I suppose it's smart. The Christian Right keeps pumping out human capital, while many liberals have hang-ups about just the idea of having any kids.

But what's working against the Christian Right is fundamentalist Christianity's slowing waning influence over society as a whole. Since The Enlightenment came about, the basic trend around the world has been a move towards secularism.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think there are probably people who thought of it that way. I seriously doubt they're anywhere close to a majority of the religious people who have a busload of kids. Most of them that I've come in contact with have really wanted to have a bunch of kids, and loved them all; the religious justification is sort of an "And besides, the bible says..." not their sole motivation.

I agree. I wasn't trying to generalize every evangelical family that has a lot of kids. It's this particular article with statements like:

"The womb is such a powerful weapon; it's a weapon against the enemy," Campbell says.

" 'We'll be able to take over both halls of Congress, we'll be able to reclaim sinful cities like San Francisco for the faithful, and we'll be able to wage very effective massive boycotts against companies that are going against God's will.' "

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
IMO, it's laughable that your pastor would imagine he has any say in whether you choose to marry or have children. Seems like a pretty egregious overstepping of boundaries to me.

And Magic, I won't lie, your response scares the ever-loving shit out of me.

Well, I've not been placed under church discipline. He thinks it would be wise of me to marry, and soon.

My words were combative; I basically slapped him and every member who'd decided to go the marriage and children route in the face.

But I still think I'm right because...

As a political tactic, I suppose it's smart. The Christian Right keeps pumping out human capital, while many liberals have hang-ups about just the idea of having any kids.

But what's working against the Christian Right is fundamentalist Christianity's slowing waning influence over society as a whole. Since The Enlightenment came about, the basic trend around the world has been a move towards secularism.

The spiritual war is cognitive in nature: it deals with beliefs that are either true or false. Christians have failed to adequately respond to the cognitive challenges of the Enlightenment, and so it's no surprise that core doctrines of Christianity have been eroded, and less and less people self identify as Christian.

Basically, the Quiverfull folks are spending the intellectual capital of their forebears, but they're doing nothing to replenish the coffers. The longer the intellectual problems remain unanswered, the more people will become interested in why they remain unanswered. Given a fallen nature, it's only natural for the individual to use these problems to justify their self-life in light of the exclusivist claims of Christianity; i.e., a just God would not inflict maximal punishment on me for doing something that isn't maximally clear.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Arrows For War

When the Gospel Community Church in Coxsackie, New York, breaks midservice to excuse children for Sunday school, nearly half of the 225-strong congregation patters toward the back of the worship hall: the five youngest children of Pastor Stan Slager's eight, assistant pastor Bartly Heneghan's eleven and the Dufkin family's thirteen, among many others. "The Missionettes," a team of young girls who perform ribbon dances during the praise music, put down their "glory hoops" to join their classmates; the pews empty out. It's the un-ignorable difference between the families at Gospel Community and those in the rest of the town that's led some to wonder if the church isn't a cult that forces its disciples to keep pushing out children.

But after the kids leave, Pastor Stan doesn't exhort his congregation to bear children. His approach is more subtle, reminding them to present their bodies as living sacrifices to the Lord, and preaching to them about Acts 5:20: Go tell "all the words of this life." Or, in Pastor Stan's guiding translation, to lead lives that make outsiders think, "Christianity is real," lives that "demand an explanation."

Lives such as these: Janet Wolfson is a 44-year-old mother of eight in Canton, Georgia. Tracie Moore, a 39-year-old midwife who lives in southern Kentucky, is mother to fourteen. Wendy Dufkin in Coxsackie has her thirteen. And while Jamie Stoltzfus, a 27-year-old Illinois mom, has only four children so far, she plans on bearing enough to populate "two teams." All four mothers are devoted to a way of life New York Times columnist David Brooks has praised as a new spiritual movement taking hold among exurban and Sunbelt families. Brooks called these parents "natalists" and described their progeny as a new wave of "Red-Diaper Babies"--as in "red state."

But Wolfson, Moore and thousands of mothers like them call themselves and their belief system "Quiverfull." They borrow their name from Psalm 127: "Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate." Quiverfull mothers think of their children as no mere movement but as an army they're building for God.

Quiverfull parents try to have upwards of six children. They home-school their families, attend fundamentalist churches and follow biblical guidelines of male headship--"Father knows best"--and female submissiveness. They refuse any attempt to regulate pregnancy. Quiverfull began with the publication of Rick and Jan Hess's 1989 book, A Full Quiver: Family Planning and the Lordship of Christ, which argues that God, as the "Great Physician" and sole "Birth Controller," opens and closes the womb on a case-by-case basis. Women's attempts to control their own bodies--the Lord's temple--are a seizure of divine power.

"Our bodies are meant to be a living sacrifice," write the Hesses. Or, as Mary Pride, in another of the movement's founding texts, The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality, puts it, "My body is not my own." This rebuttal of the feminist health text Our Bodies, Ourselves is deliberate. Quiverfull women are more than mothers. They're domestic warriors in the battle against what they see as forty years of destruction wrought by women's liberation: contraception, women's careers, abortion, divorce, homosexuality and child abuse, in that order. Pride argues that feminism is a religion in its own right, one that is inherently incompatible with Christianity. "Christians have accepted feminists' 'moderate' demands for family planning and careers while rejecting the 'radical' side of feminism--meaning lesbianism and abortion," writes Pride. "What most do not see is that one demand leads to the other. Feminism is a totally self-consistent system aimed at rejecting God's role for women. Those who adopt any part of its lifestyle can't help picking up its philosophy." "Family planning," Pride argues, "is the mother of abortion. A generation had to be indoctrinated in the ideal of planning children around personal convenience before abortion could be popular."

The gentle manner of Deidre Welch, another Coxsackie mom, with four boys, seems at odds with Quiverfull's militaristic language, which describes children as weapons of spiritual war, as arrows shot out by their parents. But she describes the movement toward larger families in the same way: "God is bringing revelation on the world. He wants to raise up His army. He wants His children to be."

Angel Mays, a 31-year-old mother to three in West Virginia, spoke with me just before she was to have her tubal ligation reversed in order to make her body "God's home" again. Mays suspects a divine purpose to her change of heart and believes the Quiverfull and home-schooling movements are signs of a revival. "It seems the Lord is preparing for something, and I'm wondering if He's doing something big. There's so much selfishness, with people thinking they need to make their lives easier. But we're to seek the Kingdom of God first. The further the nation gets away from God, the starker the Christian contrast grows. The darker the world gets, the more we stand out."

In his 2004 column for the Times, David Brooks concluded that mothers like Welch and Mays are too busy parenting to wage culture war. A home-schooling mother of nine on the 2,700-family-strong online forum Quiverfull Digest (QuiverFull .com) responded in irritation to Brooks's misunderstanding of the movement's aims. Raising a large family, she replied, was itself her "battle station," as deliberately political an act as canvassing for conservative candidates, not to mention part of a long-term plan to win the culture war "demographically."

Population is a preoccupation for many Quiverfull believers, who trade statistics on the falling white birthrate in European countries like Germany and France. Every ethnic conflict becomes evidence for their worldview: Muslim riots in France, Latino immigration in California, Sharia law in Canada. The motivations aren't always racist, but the subtext of "race suicide" is often there.

Pastor Heneghan of Gospel Community Church sees the issue of population growth in more biblical terms, specifically those taken from Genesis and Revelation. "Some people think that what I'm doing--having eleven children--is wrong. I don't really get into that much. The Bible says 'be fruitful and multiply.' That's my belief system. They don't believe in God, so they think we have to conserve what we have. But in my belief system, He's going to give us a new earth." Overpopulation isn't a problem in a universe where God promises a clean global slate.

As a movement, Quiverfull has grown in a grassroots style. There's little top-down instruction or organization from church leaders; instead it spreads through community Bible studies, home-schooling forums, "prolife" activist circles or small ministries such as "Titus 2" wife-mentoring groups, which instruct Christian women in biblical wifehood. Supporter Allan Carlson, an economic historian who heads the Howard Center for Family, Religion and Society and advises conservative legislators like Kansas Senator Sam Brownback, sees Quiverfull's most significant roots in the home-schooling movement, and as with the early days of home-schooling, he sees Quiverfull as a populist movement with "a wonderful anarchy to it."

But while home-schoolers may be more receptive to the idea of unplanned families, most prospectives actually learn about the Quiverfull conviction through the movement's literature: Pride's and the Hesses' books, Nancy Campbell's Be Fruitful and Multiply, Rachel Scott's Birthing God's Mighty Warriors or Sam and Bethany Torode's Open Embrace. And most people find these books after hearing the theory that birth-control pills are an abortifacient (that hormonal contraception such as the pill can cause the "chemical abortion" of accidentally fertilized eggs). This belief is something the Quiverfull conviction has in common with the larger Christian right, which has recently embraced a radically expanded "prolife" agenda that encompasses not just abortion but birth control and sexual abstinence. Taking a page from the antiabortion movement, anticontraception activists have gradually broadened their aims, moving from defending individual "conscientiously objecting" pharmacists who refuse to dispense contraceptives on moral grounds to extending the same "right of refusal" to corporate entities such as insurers, to an out-and-out offensive against birth control as the murder-through-prevention of 3,000 lives a day and also as the future undoing of Western civilization.

The latter two points were recently made in Illinois by British demographer Andrew Pollard, a speaker at the pioneering "Contraception Is Not the Answer" conference in September. That event served as a sort of coming-out party for the anticontraception movement, following an August cover story on "The Case for Kids" in the evangelical flagship magazine Christianity Today. Pundits warning of a coming "demographic divide," wherein fecund red staters will far outnumber barren blue state liberals, are further ratcheting up interest in fertility politics. But before the movement made this mainstream splash, a quieter opposition to birth control had been building for years.

Among the first contemporary Protestants advancing the theory that contraception is anathema to Scripture was Charles Provan, an independent Pennsylvania printer, lay theologian and father to ten who was until recently deeply involved in the Holocaust revisionist movement. In 1989 Provan, whom both Pride and the Hesses name as an inspiration, published The Bible and Birth Control, which has been called the authoritative source for Protestants seeking scriptural guidance on contraception. In it, Provan traces Protestant opposition to birth control to three main scriptural bases: Psalm 127, the Genesis command to "be fruitful and multiply," and the biblical story of Onan, slain by God for spilling his seed on the ground (seen by Provan as a form of birth control).

"Lean not on your own understanding," Quiverfull mom Tracie Moore tells me, describing the scriptural foundations she's discovered for the movement: Children are a blessing, a reward, an inheritance. Don't worry about money--the Moores have never had much of it--because God will provide for his flock.

And in its most innocuous self-explanations, this is what Quiverfull is about: faith, pure and simple. Faith that God won't give women more children than they can handle, and faith that by opening themselves up to receive multiple "blessings," they will bring God's favor upon them in other areas of life as well: Their husbands will get better jobs; God will send a neighbor with a sack of used children's clothes just when the soles on Johnny's shoes fall out. God, many Quiverfull women say, deals with their hearts about birth control, and if they submit, they are cared for.

This last equation--submit, and be cared for--is a fitting summary of the social logic of the Quiverfull life. While most Quiverfull families appear to be solidly working class or low income, even those in the middle-income brackets struggle with the financial challenges of caring for a ten-person family. But for many Quiverfull mothers, this struggle is still preferable to the alternatives they see society offering working-class women--alternatives they see as the fruit of secular feminism. For poor women, the feminist fight for job equality won them no career path but rather the right to pink-collar labor, as a housekeeper, a waitress, a clerk. The sexual revolution did not bring them self-exploration and fulfillment but rather loosened the social restraints that bound men to the household as husbands and fathers. Even for women who stayed in the home, the incidence of women in the workplace led employers to stop offering a "family wage" that could sustain both parents and children.

Mary Pride puts it in biblical terms--feminism made wage slaves out of women who had once been slaves to God; it made "unpaid prostitutes" out of women who should have been godly mothers and wives. Yet there's something deeper here than standard antifeminist backlash. While economic and cultural complaints may attract believers to Quiverfull, conviction, and the momentum of a growing movement, are what sustains them.

Rachel Scott, who calls herself a "one-woman Quiverfull activist," describes her conversion moment. One night after the birth of her fourth child--their third "oops" baby due to birth-control failures--when the prospect of tuition for four consumed husband Christopher and their pastor was urging vasectomy, Christopher saw a warrior angel in his dream. A "large, worrying warrior angel" with a flaming sword that he pointed at Christopher's genitals, telling him, "Do not change God's plan."

While Scott pays tribute to the foundation of the Quiverfull movement in Pride's books and the home-schooling movement, she distinguishes herself from the "hard line" of Quiverfull believers, whom she sees as holding each other to purity tests: How many kids do you have? Do you home-school? Concerned that such stringency could alienate potential believers, Scott instead promotes a gentler Quiverfull, so that average Christian families feel up to the task of "Birthing God's Mighty Warriors." "Like all good buildings, the foundation needs to be strong. But the Bible says, 'All men come.' The foundation's been laid and now God's starting to change people's minds, both inside and outside of the church. Before the end times, the Bible says the family will be restored, whether they're in church or out of church," says Scott.

The hard Quiverfull line is something that bothers Dawn Irons, founder of Blessed Arrows. After Lyme disease left Irons "postfertile," she felt stung by the assertions of "movement Quiverfullers," who view the number of children one has as a gauge of holiness or spirituality. "If you follow the discussions on the Quiverfull Digest right now, you can see what happens when a 'movement' mentality sets in. Someone just asked the question today if a person can really be considered Quiverfull if they're past the age of childbearing...as if being able to birth a baby is all that makes one Quiverfull. It's a heart change."

Becca Campos agrees. She says that Quiverfull shouldn't be thought of as a movement but as a return to an old ideal. Current speculation on the Quiverfull Digest as to whether larger families are becoming "a fad" grows from some people "making an idol of it." Of course, the nature of mass movements is a blunting of subtleties, and a winnowing down of theology to the most easily understood denominator. In this case: babies, lots of them, for God.

When I visited Janet and Ted Wolfson at their paintball farm in Canton, Georgia, for a planned Quiverfull picnic (one cut short by bad weather and Rachel Scott's cardinal rule that "with eight children, plans are always subject to change"), the Wolfsons and their guests were discussing the reasons for sticking with Quiverfull through the hard times. An anonymous mother had written in to the Quiverfull Digest full of despair, saying she felt she was "going to die." Her husband was older and unhelpful around the house, and she feared he would die and leave her to raise their six children alone and destitute. She wanted someone on the forum to give her a reason--besides the Bible--why one should be Quiverfull. The answers were quick and pointed: Apart from Scripture, there's no reason why one should be Quiverfull.

"If you don't invoke God's word, then there's really no reason," the Wolfsons explained. "Kids are great and all that, but in reality, it's all about the Bible."

But if the Quiverfull mission is rooted in faith, the unseen, its mandate to be fruitful and multiply has tangible results as well. Namely, in Rick and Jan Hess's words, to provide "arrows for the war."

After arguing Scripture, the Hesses point to a number of more worldly effects that a Christian embrace of Quiverfull could bring. "When at the height of the Reagan Revolution," they write, "the conservative faction in Washington was enforced [sic] with squads of new conservative congressmen, legislators often found themselves handcuffed by lack of like-minded staff. There simply weren't enough conservatives trained to serve in Washington in the lower and middle capacities." But if just 8 million American Christian couples began supplying more "arrows for the war" by having six children or more, they propose, the Christian-right ranks could rise to 550 million within a century ("assuming Christ does not return before then"). They like to ponder the spiritual victory that such numbers could bring: both houses of Congress and the majority of state governor's mansions filled by Christians; universities that embrace creationism; sinful cities reclaimed for the faithful; and the swift blows dealt to companies that offend Christian sensibilities.

The fact that, in 2006, their predictions read less like Left Behind fantasies than a slight exaggeration of the past year's religious news is a testament to what's changed since the Hesses published their book more than fifteen years ago.

Quiverfull is not yet a large movement. The number of families wholly committed to its path doesn't represent any pollster's idea of a key demographic. But it's nonetheless culturally significant for representing an ideal: an illustration of the family structure many conservatives reference in condemning modern society. Not every family has to be "Quiverfull," in the sense of having six or eight children, for the movement to make an impact. Mothers who have four kids instead of three can also reinforce the Quiverfull goal of a return to the traditional, patriarchal family as the basic economic unit of society.

Carlson is fond of recalling early opponents of birth control such as Teddy Roosevelt and the New Deal-era "maternalists" who pushed through the traditionalist strictures written into the first Social Security Act, which defined beneficiary families as breadwinning fathers and homemaking mothers. Roosevelt, according to Carlson, associated birth control with "race suicide" and selfish white women who "import our babies from abroad" rather than honor their duty to bear children for the nation. Like Roosevelt and the maternalists, Carlson wants to construct a secular, social-policy case for natalism based on the importance of large families to sustaining a Social Security system crippled by childless "free riders." As with the "family friendly" tax policies Carlson has written for conservative politicians such as Senator Brownback and Nebraska Representative Lee Terry--which reward large families with hefty tax cuts for each child--Carlson says that "the sub-theme of all I do is pro-natalism."

But faith, he says, is the necessary yeast for any secular movement, and religion has always been the driving force behind the family movement. In the same way that Carlson recalls the "strand of garrison life" that the cold war fight against Communism brought to American society, in the conservative Christian world that sees Europe as the measure of mankind's fall, a besieged war mentality is a given. In both Carlson's writings and in the work of Mary Pride and the Hesses, this is reflected in their description of patriarchal families as the basic "cellular units of society" that form a bulwark against Communism, as well as in the military-industrial terminology they assign to biblical gender roles within such "cells": the husband described as company CEO, the wife as plant manager and the children as workers. Or, in alternate form, the titles revised to reflect the Christian church's "constant state of war" with the world: "Commander in Chief" Jesus, the husband a "commanding officer" and his wife a "private" below him. And the kids? Presumably ammunition, arrows, weapons for the war.

Thus patriarchy, and its requirement that wives submit to their husbands, becomes a mission in itself, the inversion of a reactionary movement into a seeming revolution against modern society. As Pride writes, "Submission has a military air.... When the private is committed to winning the war, and is willing to subject his personal desires to the goal of winning, and is willing to follow the leader his Commander has put over him, that army stands a good chance of winning."

Aside from the centrist tax policies Longman is crafting to rival Carlson's, he urges a return to patriarchy--properly understood, he is careful to note, as not just male domination but also increased male responsibility as husbands and fathers--on more universal grounds. Taking a long view as unsettling in its way as Pastor Bartly Heneghan's rapture talk, Longman says that no society can survive to reproduce itself without following patriarchy. "As secular and libertarian elements in society fail to reproduce, people adhering to more traditional, patriarchal values inherit society by default," Longman argues, pointing to cyclical demographic upheavals from ancient Greece and Rome to the present day, when falling birthrates have consistently augured conservative, even reactionary comebacks, marked by increased nationalism, religious fundamentalism and deep societal conservatism. Presenting a thinly veiled ultimatum to moderates and liberals, Longman cites the political sea change in the Netherlands in recent years, where, he charges, a population decline led to a vacuum that "Muslim extremists came in to fill." Though individual, nonpatriarchal elements of society may die out, he says, societies as a whole will survive and, "through a process of cultural evolution, a set of values and norms that can roughly be described as patriarchy reemerge."

Longman's answer to this threat is for progressives to beat conservatives by joining them, emulating the large patriarchal families that conservatives promote in order not to be overrun by a reactionary baby boom. Any mention of social good occurring in regions with low birthrates is swept away by the escalating rhetoric of a "birth dearth," a "baby bust," a dying hemisphere undone by its own progressive politics.

That's how Quiverfull mother Wendy Dufkin sees it, give or take a few mentions of the Lord's name: God is leading Quiverfull families at the head of a "return to patriarchy, to father-led families. Patriarchy may be a loaded word for some, but it's not for me. There are so many woman-led families, whether single mothers or families where the father is just absent. I think it's gone to such an extreme with those families for a while that now we're returning to another extreme, patriarchy."

She recounts the "seven stages of decline of the Roman Empire" as illustration: from men failing to lead their families to God, through adultery, divorce, homosexuality, barrenness, atheism and then, in the end, an invasion of barbarians from abroad.

The invasion, the war, is to be understood on both planes: the worldly war that a good patriot like Dufkin likely supports, and the spiritual war of the church, which will continue indefinitely. Where the two meet--in the generally low-income households of believers who feel bound to supply their children, their arrows for God--you might expect a clash of consciences, such as when Deidre Welch explains what she sees as a "media attitude" about bearing many children. "This idea of, why bring children into this world, a world of violence, just to get drafted?" The example seems poignant--her oldest son has just left for Iraq--but Welch remains optimistic, bearing in mind the biblical promise that "God can use your Quiverfull to bring up his army of belief." As a believer and a loving mother, perhaps she sees this path--worldwide redemption through spiritual and actual warfare--as the one that will lead to the end of wars, even if that path means the wars will be fought with arrows such as her son.

'Arrows for the War' (Page 5)

Article was too long to post in full. See link for the rest.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Just because something does not worry you that does not mean that the problem does not exist.

Well, I don't believe overpopulation, as a problem, exists (in a global sense), so I am therefore not worried about it.

we'll be able to reclaim sinful cities like San Francisco

Heh. Breed, sinful hippies, BREED!!! :D

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Part of me wants to say that if this is their beliefs, than so be it.

Only.. I don't think brainwashing is right. I don't think humanly interpretations of the bible can be taken so seriously. Why concentrate SO hard on this one part?? There's SO many lessons and rules in the bible, why focus on this one alone? Because Muslims have kids? So what? You can't negate a religion with another religion. That sort of logic is clouded thinking.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Part of me wants to say that if this is their beliefs, than so be it.

Only.. I don't think brainwashing is right. I don't think humanly interpretations of the bible can be taken so seriously. Why concentrate SO hard on this one part?? There's SO many lessons and rules in the bible, why focus on this one alone? Because Muslims have kids? So what? You can't negate a religion with another religion. That sort of logic is clouded thinking.

Does this mean you won't have my surrogate babies in order to propagate the NF agenda to combat the NT agenda?

Frankly kyuuei, I'm hurt.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Does this mean you won't have my surrogate babies in order to propagate the NF agenda to combat the NT agenda?

Frankly kyuuei, I'm hurt.

*-* Well, you do have those rainbow wings of NF justice. How can I refuse?!! Let us create the NF army!! We'll irriate those NTs to death with massive populace! And conveniently forget that babies aren't automatically born NF if the parent's are.

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
Just because something does not worry you that does not mean that the problem does not exist.

+1

A level of healthy concern, as opposed to indifference, should come natural. As a human being, you accept a degree of responsibility for the health and well-being of the race and of the planet in general.

It's THAT kind of thinking which is so lacking from these people who are attempting to over-represent themselves in the gene pool as though trying to overwhelm the forces of the unknown against them by making themselves larger. This "unknown" consists of their own brothers and sisters, whom they do not recognize. Your Muslim, your Jew, your atheist, and so on: these are all your brothers.

01011010 said:
"Our bodies are meant to be a living sacrifice," write the Hesses. Or, as Mary Pride, in another of the movement's founding texts, The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality, puts it, "My body is not my own." This rebuttal of the feminist health text Our Bodies, Ourselves is deliberate. Quiverfull women are more than mothers. They're domestic warriors in the battle against what they see as forty years of destruction wrought by women's liberation: contraception, women's careers, abortion, divorce, homosexuality and child abuse, in that order. Pride argues that feminism is a religion in its own right, one that is inherently incompatible with Christianity. "Christians have accepted feminists' 'moderate' demands for family planning and careers while rejecting the 'radical' side of feminism--meaning lesbianism and abortion," writes Pride. "What most do not see is that one demand leads to the other. Feminism is a totally self-consistent system aimed at rejecting God's role for women. Those who adopt any part of its lifestyle can't help picking up its philosophy." "Family planning," Pride argues, "is the mother of abortion. A generation had to be indoctrinated in the ideal of planning children around personal convenience before abortion could be popular."

Wow.

Are not "living" and "sacrifices" opposites? Are not "my" and "is not my own" opposites? Is not "total self-consistency" an indication of correctness?

It's difficult for me to approach this topic calmly because it stokes my personal fears to feel as though I have no ability to communicate with someone rationally. Patience, huh? Alright, I'll have patience. No one is completely unreasonable. So there's nothing to fear. *takes a deep breath*

Rangler

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w8
These people make the case for Eugenics. How irresponsible is this? I feel bad for the children who have to grow up in poverty. This guy should have his balls chopped off.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
+1

A level of healthy concern, as opposed to indifference, should come natural. As a human being, you accept a degree of responsibility for the health and well-being of the race and of the planet in general.

It's THAT kind of thinking which is so lacking from these people who are attempting to over-represent themselves in the gene pool as though trying to overwhelm the forces of the unknown against them by making themselves larger. This "unknown" consists of their own brothers and sisters, whom they do not recognize. Your Muslim, your Jew, your atheist, and so on: these are all your brothers.

"My mother and brothers are those who hear God's word and put it into practice."

One needn't look hard to find the moral depravity of mankind. I think these peoples' hearts are in the right place, but zeal without knowledge is dangerous, and their program isn't complete.

Is there unity between Jew and Muslim? Muslim and Christian? Christian and Jew? Historically, these groups haven't treated each other as brothers. Their cultural differences and prejudices are perpetuated by their cultural institutions that, in turn, are supported by their underlying beliefs about the ultimate nature of reality and God. In order to prevent physical war, one must first engage in spititual war. Merely slaying your opponent physically is not enough, for he still lives spiritually and remains your enemy. Even if you succeed in destroying the bodies of every beleiver of an alternate worldview, the worldview itself remains intact and capable of making new converts out of your children, or your children's children.

Would you let a Muslim paint over the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? How far would you go to stop someone from doing something you thought wrong? In the face of opposition, would you be willing to fight or die for what you believe to be true?

Wow.

Are not "living" and "sacrifices" opposites? Are not "my" and "is not my own" opposites? Is not "total self-consistency" an indication of correctness?

It's difficult for me to approach this topic calmly because it stokes my personal fears to feel as though I have no ability to communicate with someone rationally. Patience, huh? Alright, I'll have patience. No one is completely unreasonable. So there's nothing to fear. *takes a deep breath*

Self sacrifice in this context refers to the self life: the desire to live autonomously, to put oneself in the place of God to determine good and evil for oneself. For the Christian, living merely for the self in this way isn't life; it's the very essence of death, so to sacrafice one's self in this way is the only way to attain true life.

And I know you're too smart to get stuck on the merely formal contradiction of "my" and "not my."

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
I appreciated your comments, Owl.

Owl said:
"My mother and brothers are those who hear God's word and put it into practice."

Yes, for what man, woman, or child does not hear God's word and put it into practice?

... But I understand that this is not the interpretation of your reply you intended. I take you to mean instead that there are many who either do not hear God's word from insensitivity in their hearts, or either hear it and neglect it, for the same reason. It is true of course that there is much lack of recognition in the world, much that spawns from misunderstanding. There is much that people believe in that is merely half-true: true at the core, yet malnourished and too seemingly isolated.

Owl said:
Merely slaying your opponent physically is not enough, for he still lives spiritually and remains your enemy. Even if you succeed in destroying the bodies of every beleiver of an alternate worldview, the worldview itself remains intact and capable of making new converts out of your children, or your children's children.

No idea is strengthed quite so much as fighting against it. Only what is real can be fought against. Fight it, and you admit, as you claim that it is unjustified, that it is justified. It can only feed off your anger.

The only possibility is absorbtion. You can only take the core of the creed, and make it your own. Men have no ability to believe something entirely devoid of (what we can call) unity-power. Unity-power exists at the core of Islam, even beneath so many confusions, just as it exists within Christianity, just as it exists within atheism. ... But you could not believe this if you thought that humans could entirely turn away from God, and many Christians would suggest that this is possible. It appears, actually, to be quite a mainstream notion, and it stems back to the idea of original sin, that idea that in the beginning, humans disobeyed God.

Now, I would suggest that humans never disobeyed God, and never had the ability too, but that the original sin was a necessary progression of the maturation of creation, and that the idea that humans can separate themselves from the Creator entirely is an idea which, while a necessary historical development, is actually a psychological projection and a product of short-sightedness which is transcended, through the process of forgiveness, to the seemingly paradoxical idea that humans, while entirely free individuals, are also entirely bound to the will of God.

I can only suggest it because so long as one's brothers and sisters of the Earth remain alien and appear as attackers and barbarians and so long as we identify them largely by the seemingly separate ideas they hold, that lack of recognition is reflected in the lack of recognition one has for the true unity-power of their own beliefs. For only in this vision does one transcend "belief" and move over into knowing, or what is so often called "faith". Recognition, of course, is exactly identical to forgiveness, and it is clear that no one can teach anyone forgiveness except by hinting at it through forgiveness themselves, but the rest must come from within the individual.

I can ask no more than that you have a heart, that you have mercy upon all you perceive as enemy, for God created them too, and on earth as in heaven, all is well in God's kingdom, for God never had power or ability to create anything which did not reflect his peace and his compassion.

Owl said:
Would you let a Muslim paint over the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? How far would you go to stop someone from doing something you thought wrong? In the face of opposition, would you be willing to fight or die for what you believe to be true?

Anyone will stop a child from putting quarters in their mouth.

Dying for your beliefs proves only your belief that they are vulnerable. Yet an idea can never be destroyed. The truth needs no defense. It simply is.

Owl said:
Self sacrifice in this context refers to the self life: the desire to live autonomously, to put oneself in the place of God to determine good and evil for oneself. For the Christian, living merely for the self in this way isn't life; it's the very essence of death, so to sacrafice one's self in this way is the only way to attain true life.

I'm familiar with the idea that "surrendering" your will to God places your will in alignment with his own. This is true in a sense, but it can also be quite misinterpreted, for one never looses their own will. The only possibility is absorbtion of the will of God, uniting both yours and God's. "Yours" cannot be destroyed any more than bloodshed or any other sacrifice can atone for sin. "Sacrifice" even implies that something of value is lost, so it is a rather unsuitable and misleading word.

Owl said:
And I know you're too smart to get stuck on the merely formal contradiction of "my" and "not my."

Thank you, and I apologize. My questions didn't do the topic justice and arose from fear. I take them back if I am permited.

It does remain something of a confusion to believe that your body is not your own, and that your will is separate from God's. It may not be MERELY your own, but it may certainly be both God's body AND your body. You ARE an individual, and you DO have your own will, and NOTHING can take that away from you so long as breath still moves in your body.

Giving up one's own will and failing to appriciate the body as one's own amounts to the idea that surrendering to God truly is a kind of death. Nothing can be further from the truth. There is only life in God. Just as little were the dark ages killed by the European enlightenment, but they were absorbed by it, and it was the dark ages which was in fact responsible for the birth of the enlightenment. Enlightenment was already IN the dark ages, just as the flower is in the plant, just as God is already in the human mind.