• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Silence is golden?

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Years ago, in a rain-soaked, wind-beaten outbuilding an aging woman announced, 'Empty vessels make the most noise'.

She died of a terrible, degenerative brain condition - screaming over a period of many months, oblivious to the irony.

So: do empty vessels make the most noise?

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
LOL
who was that woman ?

anyway, I see no relation between her personal philosophy and her biological condition. poor woman.

yes, empty vessels make the most noise.
and groups adjust to the lowest common denominator.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Years ago, in a rain-soaked, wind-beaten outbuilding an aging woman announced, 'Empty vessels make the most noise'.

She died of a terrible, degenerative brain condition - screaming over a period of many months, oblivious to the irony.

So: do empty vessels make the most noise?
Silence is bliss.
The Protestants invented the leaf blower.
An instrument from hell.

It serves no purpose.
The wind blows the leaves already.

You have been unfaithful to your wife. Do not tell her.
Tell your priest.
A additional sin does not wipe out the original sin. It adds to it.

The Catholics practise Omerta.
They not only live longer.
They live happy. :)

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
Silence is bliss.
An instrument from hell.

It serves no purpose.

Tell your priest.

LOL
aren't you confusing Catholics with the mob ? or maybe all the same ? :p

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's entirely relevant to the situation at hand. It's not black and white.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Silence is bliss.
An instrument from hell.

It serves no purpose.

Tell your priest.

Brilliant and perceptive as always, Wildcat.

Codes of silence are particular to Latin cultures, although latins are ironically more noisy people (forgive my generalisation). Silence is a void to be filled, unless it is already filling the space - with a conspicuous gap. That's the point: the silence is a statement. It's not what you say, it is what you leave out.

Only an Italian could say with a straight face: if I live, I will kill you; if I die, I will forgive you.

And all the more frightening it is when the joker turns assassin.

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I have found that I am admired by most of the people with whom I am the quietest. (This is the biggest group of people.)

I have found that I am loved by the most of the people with whom I am the most talkative. (A few close family and friends.)

I'd rather be loved than admired any day.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Noise is in the ear of the listener.

What if no one's listening, only talking?

Only the other night, on the way home, I had the dubious pleasure of standing at a bar reading a newspaper, when I was interrupted by an overweight fellow in a sporting costume (he must've been immune to the irony) and with a passion for "the beautiful game".

I told him politely and with respect - always with respect - that I wasn't interested in the football. But he insisted on talking; the more he talked, the more his bald head glistened and his ridiculous goetee beard looked like spikes of twitchy wire, vibrating in time to his brain waves. He looked like a pirate transplanted in time, here to London. 2009. April. Knocking-off time.

But I had sussed his game. He was trying to get a free pint! And now he was waiting for me to generously offer one, perhaps as a thank you or just to get rid of him, neither of which mattered, as both stategies rely on social niceties to work.

So I told him he had won the award for the most boring man I'd met that day and his forfeit was to buy me another pint. His admission that he was skint confirmed my suspicions about the ruse. But now the begging bowl had come out, the dynamics had changed once more.

How could I not give little Oliver another bowl of gruel? And still the sports talk continued. Chelsea this, Arsenal that. Yada yada. Please, sir, can I have some more?

But would I give in to this scoundrel? That is the question.

Well, you can't say no to your dad. So I bought the old bugger a pint.

It's the last time I meet him on a Wednesday.

Off topic. Which professions requires silence? - I can think of only two; a librarian and an assassin. Noisy librarians might find work, but a noisy assassin won't last long.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The blatant and salacious Ni/Ne one-upmanship (a.k.a. interpretive word f*cking) going on in this thread is whacked out.

RE: OP The most noise? Not sure. But they do make a lot of noise.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
The blatant and salacious Ni/Ne one-upmanship (a.k.a. interpretive word f*cking) going on in this thread is whacked out.

Ever feel you've been had?

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Actually, the thread needed no response. That was the point.

Silence is golden.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Here's ridiculous, Vince. You are included twice. Well done.

LOL
who was that woman ?

LOL
aren't you confusing Catholics with the mob ? or maybe all the same ? :p

Some noises are more irritating than others. Brass instruments, for example....

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
If only I had known god was testing me through da interwebs ...

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Codes of Silence

In the film The Wicker Man (the '73 version), Sgt Howie - a policeman - comes to a Scottish island after reports of a schoolgirl's disappearance. He tries, unsucessfully, to penetrate the wall of silence the islanders have erected. He believes they have colluded in the girl's disappearance by offering her to pagan gods as a human sacrifice. Sgt Howie ends up adopting a duel role - King for a Day and The Fool.
wickerman_screen_w400px.jpg

In the end, the object is revealed as incidental to the subject; for the real object, all the evidence has carefully been presented to him, but he has been blind to it. Which is, of course, his downfall.

All the best.

The Wicker Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to The Wicker-man.com