User Tag List

12 Last

Default Law of Attraction/The Secret

Just curious as to whether any of you are familiar with this theory and what you think of it? Do you use it, does it work for you?

I have two friends (one of them my best friend) who are really into this whole philosophy. If you are not familiar with it:

Law of Attraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a nutshell "thoughts have energy, which attracts whatever you are thinking (good and bad)."

Personally I'm quite disturbed by the deeper implications of this theory.

The Secret takes the concept too far in my opinion.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think the theory is right in that thoughts can create reality. But it seems to take it all the way and say that we can create any reality we want if we think and believe hard enough. That's not true, unless complete delusion of reaching our goals counts.

MBTI
    INFJ

I believe in this, but everything has limits. As long as you're realistic about how much you can achieve with positive thinking etc, I think its a good thing.

I thought it was a bit funny that it was called 'the secret' because I honestly thought at the time that most people thought that way already! lol.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i didn't really read that but i think that's just my natural way of being and i believe there probably is some truth to it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Some of the things that the Secret doesn't factor in, are competing desires, and outside influences in your life. Just those two things alone are enough to make me think that the theory is BS - if taken literally.

Personally, I think that being positive, and generally being personally responsible for yourself are great and will likely help bring you good things, but to say that the reason you got cancer is because you HAD to be thinking about it is delusional IMO.

My best friend (probably former) is so into this that she's lost all compassion.

I think the theory is right in that thoughts can create reality
    Do you belive that for instance if you think about attaining more money, these thoughts vibrate on the same frequency as some money opportunity, thereby attracting each other? You think money, and the winning lottery ticket vibrate and find each other? This is what the book says. And they claim it's a Law of the Universe.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

okay...that reminds me of a book i read that sounds similar called the anatomy of the spirit...and it's hard to take too...or maybe there was a deepak chopra one that was similar and i'm mixing them up...but the idea was basically negative thoughts weakened your immune system and caused all of our ailments...and positive ones would do the opposite....i don't know how i feel about that...but after loosing someone from disease...it's just really not what i want to hear.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

It's true that what we focus on tends to become our reality. That makes sense to me. But saying that we bring all our reality into being simply through our thinking seems wrong and dangerous.

???

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

It's troublesome because it can be interpretted so many ways, and maybe it's best to just focus on the ways that make sense to you.

It doesn't make sense, for instance, that we will fail to develop cancer if we never think about it, or if we have a positive attitude about it. Nonsense. So we give the theory the benefit of the doubt and say that this is not what the theory is based in, even if its proponents think it is. (This, btw, is the method for understanding religions and other obscure propositions. Ignore the proponents, and decide for yourself what it means according to the best it can mean.)

It makes sense, for instance, to suggest is that the world's richness or barrenness, abundance or scarcity, inherent goodness or inherent corruption, is a matter of our interpretation. In a very real sense, we project on the world the state of our mind, we see THAT WHICH WE BELIEVE IS OF VALUE, positive or negative, and only with care do we see that this is not just an external and indifferent matter we receive passively, but one we actively place upon the world. Things aren't just what they are. And there is a real sense in which this is a secret even though it is in open daylight, simply because it takes a degree of sensitivity and discernment to recognize it.

Don't get confused and think, "so, if I think a train wreck won't happen, it won't." What you are doing here is collapsing "negative thinking" on "train wreck" and pretending they are the same. Physics decides what will happen, but how you interpret it is another matter, and not merely as a matter of seeing the bright side vs. the dark side of the train wreck, but also as a matter of not perceiving physics as a purely indifferent external matter received passively, and thus the wreck is a manifestation of the necessity that there BE a consistent physics which obeys the same rational necessity you do. The wreck thus reflects you, not because it is a wreck or because it is bright OR bad, but because you are in it too. It reflects and manifests what it is through what is beyond it.

This is actually very simple. It does, however, require dedicated vision.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    INxJ

Gobbledygook