User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    xxxx

For a skeptic point of view I offer this Newsweek article, LA Times review, and Salon.

You'd think the last thing Americans need is more excuses for self-absorption and acquisitiveness. But our inexhaustible appetite for "affirmation" and "inspiration" and "motivation" has finally outstripped the combined efforts of Wayne Dyer, Anthony Robbins, Dr. Phil and Mitch Albom. We have actually begun importing self-helpand from Australia, of all places, that citadel of tough-minded individualism, where just a couple of years ago Byrne was a divorced mother in her 50s who had hit a rocky patch in her business and personal lives. It was in that moment of despair, when she "wept and wept and wept" (as she recounted to Oprah on the first of two broadcasts devoted to her work), that she discovered a long-neglected book dating from 1910 called "The Science of Getting Rich." In it she found how to let your thoughts and feelings get you everything you want, and determined to share it with the world. She called it "The Secret."

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

The Law of Attraction claims to have roots in Quantum Physics.[7] According to proponents of this law, thoughts have an energy which attracts whatever it is the person is thinking of.[2] In order to control this energy to one's advantage, proponents state that people must practice four things: [8]

1)Know exactly what you want.
    2)Ask the universe for it.
    3)Feel, behave and know as if the object of your desire is on its way.
    4)Be open to receive it and let go of (the attachment to) the outcome.

Doesn't 3) contradict 4)? How can I detach from the outcome when I'm acting as if it were (wishing) it were already true?

And WTH is an 'unconscious thought'? Thoughts are conscious by nature.

This 'law' is pretty easy to pick apart.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Crazy. Been thinking about this topic for a while.

Honestly, I think if Rhonda Byrne's intentions were to 'truly' encourage people to find happiness, then how come she doesn't post it on youtube? J/k.

I get the philosophy. I can agree with it for the most part, depending on circumstances.

Drawbacks.. So what if children were molested, abused, and in condition they didn't ask for? Yet, they repeatedly go through the same thing, until they were old enough and had opportunities where they could escape such conditions? During those times the laws of attraction were in the works, bc it was their fault they were in constant fear for their lives day-in, day-out? Where's the justification behind that theory??

That's where I think there are some flaws to what the book/dvd says. Some people truly are victims to their circumstances. (People in war-torn countries, dictatorship/totalitarian environments- Burma, child prostitutes, etc, etc). It doesn't take into account the economic disparity, in which is 'reality' for other people in other parts of the world. Of course, they may have a choice to 'choose' their own thoughts to attract their 'own' energy (or the unverse's). When it comes to children, innocent people, come on..

I think for me personally, the laws of attraction works in idiosyncratic ways. Ultimately, I still have to work hard within my means to accomplish what I want. I think perhaps, in the midst of whatever makes me weaker, makes me stronger? I don't mind reinforcing my wishes, ideals, and dreams to put into perspective my ultimate goals. I wouldn't call it a secret. I call it inspiration. I think that kind-heartedness, positive thoughts, prevail. It's intentions have profound impacts on human growth, potentiality for a better tomorrow! That's just me, what I think, what I know to be true. Then again, we do live in an age of nuclear warfare, so that's why I think we need to 'get' real with how we treat others on a daily basis, as well as keep friendly diplomatic relations. Love and be love.
    Last edited by kiddykat; 03-29-2009 at 05:02 AM. Reason: typo

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Not only do I believe this to be new-age ridiculousness with no basis in reason, it's also a convenient way to blame the victim for what happens to him/her.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Clearly bullshit. No thought is going to give water to people in the desert of Sahara.

Otherwise, it is completely true and tautological, if interpreted only in terms of day-to-day tasks. Of course, if you think very much "I'm going to study now", then you will study, etc etc.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

garbage

I actually read the book. Quantum physicists state that it is physically proven that one's thoughts affect the universe and our material desires come to fruition.

I also saw one of the Oprah segments. One of the examples was a kid looking at a bike in a catalog and then receiving it, somehow.

If this is all a way to trick people into thinking positively, then.. well, there might be some benefit to it.

But it's more about material possessions and all than it is about truly changing one's life, and that's pretty dangerous.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Which quantum physicists are those? The same ones that contributed to "what the bleep do we know"? Because that's pretty much bunk as well.

Ramtha - JZ Knight - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

I believe the two people who believe in the law of attraction will more likely be attracted to each other.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Gobbledygook
    profound as usual
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

aside from that - it is a sentiment expressed by Ne
    see greenlightwiki

but it makes sense that you attract what you are
    and by consciously thinking it - you become what you want and the necessary components that recieve such a thing
    I N V I C T U S