User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default "Do unto others..."

The golden rule: "do unto others that which you would have them do unto you."

So say you do unto others a thing you'd really enjoy them doing unto you too.

And what then if the others really don't want to do that unto you, and really kind of hate it when you do it unto them?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

I get it all the time. My persuit of knowledge and truth in many situations leads my friends to get quite mad at me when I'm frank and honest.
    VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VIVCI
    "By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post

And what then if the others really don't want to do that unto you, and really kind of hate it when you do it unto them?
    A translation.
    The meaning is implicit. It is not exactly lost in the translation.

Do unto others that which you would have them do unto you if you were in their place.
    The implicit is the explicit.

A sound comment all the same.
    Literacy is analphabetism.
    A Jesuit philosophy.

MBTI
    INTJ

The more I think about it, the less this "Do unto others..." thing actually works. It can't create a moral society unless there are already some pretty well established dictums for what is good to do unto others.

It's probably fairly good on eliminating hypocritical negative maxims, like say, "I'll punch you in the mouth if you're lippy, but you better like it if I snap at your words." That one doesn't pass the Do Unto test. But what of things you genuinely think are great and would like to see everyone do, like, for example, "I'd like to touch your breasts two or three times a day and, you know what, I'd be proud and pleased if you gave me a diurnal squeeze right there too." I don't know that everyone's going to be down with that.

Or, say, I'm an extrovert, I'd really like it if you jumped up and started speaking non-stop to me too.

Or, everyone better hang with an Fi-values crowd.

Or, just for God's sake leave me alone, most of you bug me.

There's a whole lot of Do Unto Others there that a lot of people will really feel badly about.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Problem with statement... you're assuming your wants are the same as the other person's... which might not necessarily be true.

I guess this is just a Fe sort of statement... going with the general case of what majority of people will deem as acceptable behavior.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Do unto others that which you would have them do unto you if you were in their place.
    This is all that needs to be said.

Since we all think differently, "the golden rule" means first stepping into others' shoes, seeing what they may want done, and acting accordingly. It has nothing to do with a generalized standard of goodness.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

You can't control the actions of others, only your own. I do unto others because it's the right thing to do, morally, for myself. I don't care if everyone in the world acts immature, and wants to throw tantrums and punch for every tap.. I will still conduct myself the way I feel is right.

I don't allow people to mistake my kindness as weakness, but at the same time, I couldn't hold my head up high if I behaved this way. It's not about how much it works in your favor, or efficiency. It's about what's right, and what will make you feel like you came out the victor no matter the circumstance. In this way.. doing unto others wins every time.

I should mention.. The whole "I did this, even though I KNOW that person would never even think of the same consideration in return" is a frustrating situation... but in the end, if I must choose the resentment of another person's shortcomings, or the potential guilt of making a selfish decision against my moral code.. I would pick resentment every day of the week.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The Golden Rule has too many holes in it.

I have a better rule:

Don't be a prick.

MBTI
    OMNi

What is wrong with the rule...

"As others have done unto you, do unto them."
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Then you gotcherself a fetish rape case.
    we fukin won boys