User Tag List

First 1234 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Yes, differeing temperament and worldview really screw up this idea. I would expect it to not be very popular on an MBTI forum, because believing in type helps you to understand that two people may not have translatable values.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    What is wrong with the rule...

"As others have done unto you, do unto them."
    That rule is closer to how reciprocal altruism works in the evolutionary sense. Not exactly though, because you can't afford to be totally reactionary.

The main purpose to these things is to create manageably consistent social structures.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Yes, differeing temperament and worldview really screw up this idea. I would expect it to not be very popular on an MBTI forum, because believing in type helps you to understand that two people may not have translatable values.
    That is the case, but I guess for me my values are pretty standard, I treat people how I want them to treat me, if the way I treat them doesn't translate as good to them, or vice versa then we aren't really compatible for friendship or anything in my eyes.

However I do also implement the below rule:

That rule is closer to how reciprocal altruism works in the evolutionary sense. Not exactly though, because you can't afford to be totally reactionary.
    Once people piss me off with the first rule.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    OMNi

The main purpose to these things is to create manageably consistent social structures.
    Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I understand this rule, but to be entirely reactionary leaves you no room for proactivity. To me, this would be limiting your options.

To put yourself in another person's shoes is never to undermine your own actions and reactions, but also gives you a window into proaction, if that made any sense.

For me, if someone steals from me. Even if I understand the motivations, my reaction to do unto them as they have done unto me is to never allow them within my house/car/area again without constant supervision, as well as probably confronting them and locking my valuables off from then on.

This is a better option than stealing from them when they steal from me, and although I could do the latter, the former suits me better. It takes more away from them than valuables, it takes away their respect, trust, and confidence.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Do unto others as they would do unto themselves
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

If you have any integrity you'll stand by your values and principles through thick and through thin, until you encounter something in life that tells you your values need to change. It is all according to how you would want to be treated. I'm sure many people, however, would rather live in a world where they don't give a rat's ass about how their actions affect others. Oh wait... I think we're almost there.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm going to go ahead and guess no variation on the rule handles cases where other people really don't want to do unto you what you'd be really happy having them do unto you and really want to do unto them.

And I'm going to say, given type, and such differences as say between Fe and Fi, or even between S-mediated Fe and the N-mediated, we all end up equally screwed. Because, unless one system of "good action" just is inherently better than another, then every side has to compromise some of their values. If, that is, we're supposing there must be a Golden Rule of some sort, one rule to ring them all.

And doesn't it feel really, really bizarre to maybe have to say that there's a bunch of well-formed, well-functioning, basically different value systems walking around out there, and things that you think really just are good and proper, well, they aren't, except for you and people like you?

Feels wrong. Whether it's particularly cultural or not, morality--or maybe just the mainstream Western ethical traditions--have, I suppose since at least the Christians and Kant, included the idea that you test your moral ideals by seeing if they can be generalised.

Maybe that idea's wrong.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by TwinkleToes View Post
    Do unto others as they would do unto themselves
    Okay, what if they are totallly selfish and cruel bastards? This makes you too open to exploitation.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Lasting_Pain

The Golden Rule actually is

Eye For An Eye

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

You guys sound like kids trying to ignore the idea behind a rule of conduct.