First 234

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Did you notice what I had said about your suggestions of debt management and frugality, that it should be part of but not all of your strategy?
    What I would strongly suggest is that people learn more about the market, finance and economics, prior to entering the market so they can slowly develop their own personalised investment strategies. I sincerely detest the "if you do this, you'll get rich" quick schemes, "if you read this, you will be an expert on investing" or "I'm a broker, listen to me" garbage. Have known many retail brokers and most are full of crap. Have read a few "recommended" novels from "investment experts" or "I'm wealthy because I do this" and have also found them full of standard knowledge, some common sense but no real substance.
    This is my business. I do okay.
    I agree with you on the get rich quick schemes and I don't think I said that frugality and debt management should represent all of your strategy.

I've gravitated towards a simple approach of reasonable portfolio diversification and funds of different types with very low expense ratios. Getting that mix right is what a lot of people mess up on. I know I did. I've read lots of books - The Intelligent Investor, All of Peter Lynch's Books, The Warren Buffet Way, Psychology of Smart Investing, on and on and on. I dissected balance sheets and income statements and cash flow statements. I analyzed ratios and comparative industry data. No more. A good financial planner can help me come up with a reasonable portfolio mix with a periodic check up, i can get fund info from Morningstar, and keep a simple mix of funds - US large, mid, and small cap, international bond, emerging markets, etc. Then there's some real estate and maybe a little precious metals. I can spend a few hours a month instead of fifteen hours a week (which is what I did for a time).

I'm not an expert on investing, never will be, and don't try and beat the market. Maybe that's a personalized strategy.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I hear dartboards work too.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

My current investment philosophy is around resources. Commodities that society needs regardless of how deep a recession the global and national economies endure. It's the best hedge I can currently see against the evolving economic situations and the greedy, crooked f---s who are "fixing" the problems.