• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Truth or Peace?

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
Would you choose ultimate truth or peace in ignorance?

Say, in a position of power over many people, which would you stake in order to achieve the other?

Large scale societies and on a personal level, which would you uphold?

Last edited:

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
i find peace of mind in knowing truth, or the closest thing i can find to it

.. knowing of course, that we will never know what is true fully. the journey is still pretty cooool

woot!

pure_sterling

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think that you can ask that question in a dichotomous way. Truth and peace go hand in hand.

If you chose truth, while there might be temporary turmoil, I beleive that it will eventualy lead to a greater more meaningful peace. If you chose sincere peace, than that requires truth.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Truth on both counts but I am with other commenters - I don't know if I believe in a real, lasting peace without truth being part of it.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I don't believe peace can really exist on a large scale. So, truth all the way.

Edit: In my personal life, also truth. The two are mutually exclusive. Someone could tell me a very harsh truth, but I find great peace in knowing.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I would choose Peace everytime on a global scale because war is result of conflicting versions of reality, e.g. my god and 'truth' versus your god and 'truth'. Truth is too flexible to be an absolute in a social sense.

But on a personal level, I pursue truth.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
This is a tough question because I'm at a loss to rationalize how people would behave if they realize an ultimate truth. Ideally, knowing would remove causes for fighting, but I think some people are happier living in partial ignorance. Something to ponder.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Oh, the will to uphold.

The endorphins that emanate from lift and support.

The enemy is despondence and dejection.

See what begets. Look at the language.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
In regards to a society, peace can be an easily imagined scenario. But what a truthful society would look like is very ambiguous. Would people tell the truth all the time? Would everyone work towards understand or something? But I guess I'd still choose truth because however it would look, it would be good.

G

garbage

I love how F's and T's seem to think about the relationship between truth and peace so differently..

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I love how F's and T's seem to think about the relationship between truth and peace so differently..
i dont think one can fully live out its existence without the other. at least in the most ideal sense, that is.

then again what the fuck do i know

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't handle the truth. So leave me in peace.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Truth is just like anything else in life - it has its positives and it has it's negatives, depending on the circumstances.

And then there is a whole topic on what exactly is truth.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
pardon to keep posting but above comment makes a good point. i think that truth and peace have a couple different interpretations, including those we make up in our own minds, so that makes it a somewhat hard question to answer.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't believe peace can really exist on a large scale.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Truth is true peace of mind... There is an issue about what you would consider as truth... IMO People mistake truth for fact and thus lies the problem and the negatives..

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
i find peace of mind in knowing truth, or the closest thing i can find to it

.. knowing of course, that we will never know what is true fully. the journey is still pretty cooool

woot!

I don't think that you can ask that question in a dichotomous way. Truth and peace go hand in hand.

If you chose truth, while there might be temporary turmoil, I beleive that it will eventualy lead to a greater more meaningful peace. If you chose sincere peace, than that requires truth.

Truth on both counts but I am with other commenters - I don't know if I believe in a real, lasting peace without truth being part of it.

absolute truth would equate absolute peace.

Sorry you guys, I guess I didn't word it as clearly for others outside my head to understand. Haha, it made perfect sense to me, aparently not to everyine else.

SO. Truth or Peace in ignorance? (the ignorance was a key part, believe it or not, haha)

sorry about that. :D

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
Truth is just like anything else in life - it has its positives and it has it's negatives, depending on the circumstances.

And then there is a whole topic on what exactly is truth.

well yes. I meant more along the lines of a truth that has the potential to change the opinion of those who aren't as objective as others, mainly on a large-scale society level.

but yes, I think there's a positive and negative in everything ,no matter what. A balance of the two aspects could create peace, but I'm looking at it in an extreme sense. Like, what is better to persue in the world, ultimate truth and honesty or fudging the edges or even creating a cover-up in order to keep the masses at relative peace.

Much of a type question, I think. Interesting to see which type tends to answer in which direction.