User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Jesus was a Jew.

Just like the French mystic, Simone Weil.

And just as loveable.

Oberon

Not Buddhist... Juddhist.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFP

As a sort of sister-thread to this, I am making a comparison of many of Jesus and Buddha's teachings on another thread in the INFJs forum, and I invite any and all of you to view it and or participate if anyone wishes. They always like getting new valuable members anyways.

Infjs Forums

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Like Babylon Candle tried to explain, Buddhism and Christianism are NOT AT ALL the same religion, with the same teachings and ideologies.

Usually, the Western world understands nothing about the concept of "nothingness" that is prevalent in Buddhism. They would even find it terrifying, believe me, since the aim is to feel nothing. No hate, no love, nothing... so that "we" could disappear forever and for good.

So any attempt to make the Christian faith and Buddhism close is only a vague New age hokus pokus, and nothing more. It just shows how INCREDIBLY ignorant and prejudiced people are.
    Again, based on the place where you've put your feet, yes.

If you view the similarities in a different context, no.

Let's be a little more flexible here.

Equanimity is rather what the "feeling nothing" is -- acceptance with everything that happens to you, both good and bad. I don't think people feel "nothing" as you have said, that seems to yet again be a Western mind's interpretation of nothing and not what is meant here.

"In the moment" living rather is that seems to drive modern Buddhist thought, where you can feel pain and whatever else as simply part of life, but since you accept it as part of living in the Now, you don't spend more time on it than you need to.

Westerners tend to go to the binary poles: good/bad, heaven/hell, joy/pain. We feel a need to categorize sharply, then avoid the negative aspects and experience bliss in the positive. There is little acceptance of where we are at any given moment, we are always wanting to be somewhere else, living in some future bliss. So we spend a lot of time running from suffering and pain. Buddhism accepts pain in the now, gives it its just due, and moves on as the pain moves on -- rather than avoiding it or lingering on it in self-absorption.

There's also the sense of suffering here that it's the type driven by desire -- we don't have what we want, so we are in agony and we constantly are chasing after what we don't have. Buddhism again sees that as folly: Stop being so ambitious and don't be a slave to your desire. And the less you desire these transient things, the freer you will be and the happier you will be.

I think concepts like that have a LOT to do with Christianity, or at least shed some valuable light on its principles. Christianity embraces suffering as necessary and not something to be run from; and it tries to teach contentment with the way of things, although for a different rationale, etc.

Furthermore, there is another huge difference between Buddha and Jesus. Buddha was a historical person, we have many testimonies that he really existed... While according to Historians, Jesus is only a myth that has been invented several decades after the century where he supposedly "died"....
    Oh, so this is where the preaching comes in.
    Got it.

I really dislike it when people complain other people's biases, then overstate their own positions. I have trouble taking their comments seriously.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, so this is where the preaching comes in.
    Got it.

I really dislike it when people complain other people's biases, then overstate their own positions. I have trouble taking their comments seriously.
    Well... I've said those things only once after two years, and it was a rather short remark.

Do you call this "preaching"? According to me, preaching involves telling the same argument repeatedly, extensively, over and over again with the purpose of convincing and converting your audience.

Anyway. I've said it: Jesus probably never existed! You have no historical proof of that. You know, every real historians specialized in late Antiquity are aware of that, I've already had plenty of time to discuss this with some of them; it's an open secret, but you don't have to say it too loud. So what's the big deal? Do you want to judge me for blasphemy?
    If you care, then no wonder you would be angry to read this. If you don't, then don't!

Personally, I don't care what you think, I don't give a damn, because my goal wasn't to convert you, or even start a discussion about this. If you're fine with your beliefs or anti-beliefs, then fine! I won't judge you. Basically, talking about religion is a waste of time, since everybody is biased. And that includes myself!

And I'm sorry Edahn, but I don't want to lose my time arguing about how Sanskrit should be accurately translated in English. Again, it's a waste of time, especially here... I know I'm right, I don't care...

This is not a rational discussion.

Unless we should talk about socio-history, or socio-anthropology: you know, Weber, Durkheim, Simmel, Adorno, Habermas, Berger, Trigano and so on... This would be slightly more serious.

So the best answer is probably Oberon's. Have fun and enjoy!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Oberon

Furthermore, there is another huge difference between Buddha and Jesus. Buddha was a historical person, we have many testimonies that he really existed... While according to Historians, Jesus is only a myth that has been invented several decades after the century where he supposedly "died". I'm sorry to disappoint my christian fellows, but we have NO proof whatsover that a man named Jesus existed during the first century of our era. Nobody that lived during these years ever witnessed such a man. Nobody. And even more, all the evidences gathered by the Church (like the so-called Pline's letters, or Josephus extracts, and so on) were proven to be pious FORGERIES manufactured centuries later.
    Under the circumstances it's really quite painful for me to point this out... but the Talmud makes reference to Jesus, a reference specific enough to claim that he was the bastard son of a Roman soldier called Pandera [Kallah 51a] by a prostitute [Sanhedrin 106a].

The church would have had neither access nor authority to plant such a reference. The Talmudic scholars, I'm certain, would much rather have asserted that he had never existed at all... but there it is, an independent reference from a hostile source.

But more to the point:

...we have NO proof whatsover that a man named Jesus existed during the first century of our era.
    I will go so far as to assert that there were THOUSANDS of men named Jesus in existence during the first century of our era. "Jesus" was only the vernacular rendering of "Joshua," after all. Your assertion is kind of like saying that nobody named Bob existed in the 20th century.

I know better, for I have met Bob.

Don't you think though it is odd Jesus wrote nothing?

Everything about Jesus is written by other people.

So the most striking thing about Jesus is his absence.

And this is precisely what Jack and Jesus have in common.

And just as Jesus has been elevated to the pantheon, so now we elevate Jack.

Of course there are many who say Jack is our imaginary friend; and some who say he is now a figure of mythology; some who say he is a metaphor; and some who say he never even existed.

Jack, they say, is a hoax perpetrated by 900 posts - and not a single one of them written by Jack himself!

But whenever I don't know what to do, I always ask myself, "What would Jack do?".
    Last edited by Mole; 03-18-2009 at 05:20 PM.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Everything about Jesus is written by other people.
    The same is true of Socrates... yet nobody doubts his existence. If someone were going around trying to convince people that Socrates had never existed, you'd think he had an agenda.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post

I will go so far as to assert that there were THOUSANDS of men named Jesus in existence during the first century of our era. "Jesus" was only the vernacular rendering of "Joshua," after all. Your assertion is kind of like saying that nobody named Bob existed in the 20th century.

I know better, for I have met Bob.

Of course!

But I'd rather say hundreds rather than thousands. And was it Yeshua or Yehoshua?

Anyway nobody remembers that a famous "Yehoshua" was born during that century, famous enough to have let direct testimonies of him.

The only material references were written decades or even centuries after its presumed existence.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    The same is true of Socrates... yet nobody doubts his existence. If someone were going around trying to convince people that Socrates had never existed, you'd think he had an agenda.
    Ah, that's very different, because we have dozens of testimonies written by people who knew Socrates. So the likelihood he really existed is very high.

But Jesus you say?

Nada! Nothing!

Only forgeries written decades and decades after him, and by people who never met him in person.

---

Anyway, speaking of metaphysics will lead us to nowhere. Kant already concluded centuries before us that we could not have a rational argument over religion. It's impossible, so why should we waste our time, if it wasn't for fun?

7w8 SCUxI