User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

He was a Hebron, most likely Jewish, and part of the revolt against the Roman influence in that region, Jerusalem.

... Apparently, the Jews (even today) do not consider him the awaited 'Messiah', which Jesus himself declared, according to the texts - but his crucifixion inaugurated a movement (now) known as Christianity.

I can't say for sure whether his teachings were based around Buddhism. That's quite laughable, to be honest - but that doesn't question the possibility on his Prophethood.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    Look at the end games:
    Buddhists want to imagine themselves out of existance.
    Christians want to imagine themselves into eternal existance with God forever and ever.

You are right that they are all religions and thus "are the same" in the sense of what they seek to provide philosophical knowledge for the masses. The truth is that not even all of them claim to be paths to happiness, or morality. So they are all the same, only in that they are under the category of religion, because their core tenets are inconvertible.

By your logic, psudofederine and guafinex are the same. They are both decongestants which try and help us live happier less stuffy lives. Im trying to point out to you that the two drugs seek far different mechanism, and those differences, are fundamental, and cant be waved away.
    No, not all religions are the same or similar. Some draw more parallels than others.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

i should of written "categorically the same".

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    ... Psalm 46:5 "Be still and know that I am God" is not a meditation instruction.
    Psalm 46:10.

Minor quibble, but it'll help people find the ref.

Quote Originally Posted by StoryOfMyLife View Post
    So in a manner of speaking, sure, Jesus was Buddhist, Buddha was Jewish or Christian, Taoism is, too, and so on and so forth...
    I personally can integrate Buddhist and Christian thought into a cohesive faith for myself (and IMO I actually found myself becoming a better Christian by using Buddhist philosophy to shed light on some particular things), but I know a lot of Christians from my background would bristle at this.

I think it's partly the difference between looking to build bridges between various philosophies (i.e., finding the broad concepts common to each or working in conjunction with each other) versus seeking to demarcate lines between two things (i.e., examining specific applications of truth that conflict with each other and thus distinguish).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Edahn, Psalm 46:5 "Be still and know that I am God" is not a meditation instruction. It is God ordering the heathen nations to stop their warring and be at peace and recognize Him as God. If I were God, I would say it like this (good thing I am not God) "You idiots, stop your warring ways and have some peace in your minds and know that I am God before I wipe you from the face of the earth." This Being still and knowing that He is God is not spoken to those who know He is God such as believing Jews and Christians because very simply they know He is God. It is spoken to non-believers.

People who use it as a meditation instruction are taking the verse out of context.
    Well, I looked it up, and I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation.

Psalms 46:1 To the choirmaster. A Psalm of the Sons of Korah. According to Alamoth. A Song. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
    Psalms 46:2 Therefore we will not fear though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea;
    Psalms 46:3 though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult. [Selah]
    Psalms 46:4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of the Most High.
    Psalms 46:5 God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God will help her right early.
    Psalms 46:6 The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts.
    Psalms 46:7 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. [Selah]
    Psalms 46:8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, how he has wrought desolations in the earth.
    Psalms 46:9 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; he breaks the bow, and shatters the spear, he burns the chariots with fire!
    Psalms 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God. I am exalted among the nations, I am exalted in the earth!"
    Psalms 46:11 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. [Selah]

It doesn't sound like an ORDER to the heathens at all. In fact, I don't even think the sentences are necessarily related. Maybe the original language could clear it up, though. If you have the Hebrew, I could read it and get back to you. The Aramaic I'm not so good at, but might be able to get by. (Yay for Yeshiva!)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    how is that not a meditation instruction?
    It's not a meditation instruction, it is a direct command to do something once and for all. God commands the heathen to quit their warring ways and know that He is God. Period. No need for any further meditation. They should just know that He is God. Period. Then the verses go on to tell what will happen when this takes place. It's not a minor quibble, it is a major flaw in interpretation of Scripture to call the verse "Be still and know that I am God" a meditation instruction.
    "My Journey is my Destination."

"Today Counts Forever." R.C. Sproul

No need for any further meditation. They should just know that He is God. Period.
    well, in ZEN they use sticks

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

I have my friends Keil and Delitzsch to translate the Hebrew for me when I need it translated, Edahn. Here is the translation they made that I used:

Psalms 46:8-11

Even an Elohimic Psalm gives to the God of Israel in opposition to all the world no other name than
    yhwh
    shamowt
    does not here signify stupenda (Jer 8:21), but in accordance with the phrase
    l*shamaah

suwm
    , Isa 13:9, and frequently: devastations, viz., among the enemies who have kept the field against the city of God. The participle
    mash*biyt
    is designedly used in carrying forward the description. The annihilation of the worldly power which the church has just now experienced for its rescue, is a prelude to the ceasing of all war, Mic 4:3 (Isa 2:4). Unto the ends of the earth will Jahve make an end of waging war; and since He has no pleasure in war in general, much less in war waged against His own people, all the implements of war He in part breaks to pieces and in part consigns to the flames (cf. Isa 54:16 f.). Cease, cries He (v. 12) to the nations, from making war upon my people, and know that I am God, the invincible One-invincible both in Myself and in My people-who will be acknowledged in My exaltation by all the world. A similar inferential admonition closes Ps 2. With this admonition, which is both warning and threatening at the same time, the nations are dismissed; but the church yet once more boasts that Jahve Tsebaoth is its God and its stronghold.
    (from Keil and Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament: New Updated Edition, Electronic Database. Copyright 1996 by Hendrickson Publishers, Inc. All rights reserved.)
    "My Journey is my Destination."

"Today Counts Forever." R.C. Sproul

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Like Babylon Candle tried to explain, Buddhism and Christianism are NOT AT ALL the same religion, with the same teachings and ideologies.

Usually, the Western world understands nothing about the concept of "nothingness" that is prevalent in Buddhism. They would even find it terrifying, believe me, since the aim is to feel nothing. No hate, no love, nothing... so that "we" could disappear forever and for good.

So any attempt to make the Christian faith and Buddhism close is only a vague New age hokus pokus, and nothing more. It just shows how INCREDIBLY ignorant and prejudiced people are.

Furthermore, there is another huge difference between Buddha and Jesus. Buddha was a historical person, we have many testimonies that he really existed... While according to Historians, Jesus is only a myth that has been invented several decades after the century where he supposedly "died". I'm sorry to disappoint my christian fellows, but we have NO proof whatsover that a man named Jesus existed during the first century of our era. Nobody that lived during these years ever witnessed such a man. Nobody. And even more, all the evidences gathered by the Church (like the so-called Pline's letters, or Josephus extracts, and so on) were proven to be pious FORGERIES manufactured centuries later.

Anyway, religion is only about believing the unbelievable. So I tell you the truth: there's nothing new under the sun!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Like Babylon Candle tried to explain, Buddhism and Christianism are NOT AT ALL the same religion, with the same teachings and ideologies.

Usually, the Western world understands nothing about the concept of "nothingness" that is prevalent in Buddhism. They would even find it terrifying, believe me, since the aim is to feel nothing. No hate, no love, nothing... so that "we" could disappear forever and for good.
    What the? You're referring to Shunyata, and what you said has nothing to do with Sunyata. A better translation is emptiness, and it relates more to there being no self, no essential nature to things. They're empty of intrinsic identity.

So any attempt to make the Christian faith and Buddhism close is only a vague New age hokus pokus, and nothing more. It just shows how INCREDIBLY ignorant and prejudiced people are.
    Wait, so based on one misinterpretation (namely, yours) you conclude that the similarities are hokus pokus? I'm calling BS.

Furthermore, there is another huge difference between Buddha and Jesus. Buddha was a historical person, we have many testimonies that he really existed... While according to Historians, Jesus is only a myth that has been invented several decades after the century where he supposedly "died". I'm sorry to disappoint my christian fellows, but we have NO proof whatsover that a man named Jesus existed during the first century of our era. Nobody that lived during these years ever witnessed such a man. Nobody. And even more, all the evidences gathered by the Church (like the so-called Pline's letters, or Josephus extracts, and so on) were proven to be pious FORGERIES manufactured centuries later.
    This is worse than your last point. Even assuming Jesus was mythical (I don't really care, TBH), the religions can still have philosophical similarities. And they do, depending on how you define classic, essential Christian teachings (and whether you have justification for defining it as such).

Anyway, religion is only about believing the unbelievable. So I tell you the truth: there's nothing new under the sun!
    Only to a person who doesn't know how to think for himself and look deeper into what these religions were talking about, which happens to be where the similarities appear. No surprise you missed that, though.