User Tag List

First 12345 Last

"You idiots, stop your warring ways and have some peace in your minds and know that I am God before I wipe you from the face of the earth."
    how is that not a meditation instruction?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Here's how I look at things (like it or disagree with it).
    I think the teachings up Buddism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc. are generally the same. Thus, I see the spirits in and of themselves, the same thing under a superior being. Why take one and make it specific? When you dig beyond specfific differents, they both say almost the same thing. Anyone disagree? I'd like to hear because I can argue this, and am open to other points.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

ah, some guy in another messageboard just gave me a 'whisked piece of shit' award, for saying something just like that. you gotta love meticulous concrete thinkers.

but in case you are looking for actual meditation instructions you better make a specific choice of tradition. daniel ingram lists the diversity of only buddhistic interpretations of mysticism, see the pages of chapter "31: models and stages of enlightenment" in his online book

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

take it from an unbiased source (me = metaphysical naturalist):

all religions are not the same, and they do not come close to describing the same God/pathways etc.

Christianity and Buddhism are fundamentally NOT compatible. Secondly, there are conspiracy theories about how Jesus went to India during "the lost years"

1. If there was a jesus, he didnt go there
    2. Thats a big If (there being).

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    take it from an unbiased source (me = metaphysical naturalist):

all religions are not the same, and they do not come close to describing the same God/pathways etc.

Christianity and Buddhism are fundamentally NOT compatible. Secondly, there are conspiracy theories about how Jesus went to India during "the lost years"

1. If there was a jesus, he didnt go there
    2. Thats a big If (there being).
    Actually there are many key similarities between Buddhism and Christianity.
    Buddhism and Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i agree, if by Christianity you mean the common ideas as they are interpreted and understood by most, but it is always subjective what one means when he uses such words like Christianity or heaven or death.

for me, a religion is not defined by its scripture, but by the sum of all interpretations of those, who are interested in the topic

if you assume that someone somehow understands mysticism, he must focus on the common aspects, because there is only one possible range of experiences of enlightenment (and all religions are originally inspired by possible experiences). so Christian ideas like trinity must be assumed to be perspectives of a more relative, subtle stage or stage, than brahman, for instance.

incompatibility can only exist in language statements that are removed from their source or experience by subjective interpretation and hearsay. if you know how to interpret the ideas for what they really (originally) are, then you can put them on a single map. samsara and bardo have all the potential that is needed to host experiences of apparently eternal (timeless) hell, heaven, virgin doll house, jesus, other deities.

the biggest difference may be the idea of reincarnation, but what this word means is also subjective, it may well be compatible with both atheistic death and ideas of joining ancestors in heaven.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Here's how I look at things (like it or disagree with it).
    I think the teachings up Buddism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc. are generally the same. Thus, I see the spirits in and of themselves, the same thing under a superior being. Why take one and make it specific? When you dig beyond specfific differents, they both say almost the same thing. Anyone disagree? I'd like to hear because I can argue this, and am open to other points.
    dude, just, no.

When you dig beyond the specific differences? well thank you for the lesson in obvious statements! When you remove the differences between objects, they become the same! BRILLIANT!

-I mean, when you remove the specific differences between lamarckain evolution and darwinian evolution, they are basically the same!

Ill start just with the religions you gave:

Hindusim: The goal of life, according to the Advaita school, is to realize that one's ?tman is identical to Brahman, the supreme soul.
    Buddhism: In Buddhism, suffering is meaningless, except insofar as it it exhausts bad karma. The principle aim of Buddhism is to end pointless suffering.
    Christianity: The goal is realize that you are a guilty sinner, and to beg for forgiveness in the hopes of either avoiding afterlife pain/or gaining afterlife living at all
    Islam: The goal is complete submission to allah (to the point that you are willing to die)

How in the world can anyone conclude they are the same religion?! Once you remove the differences, all you have left is a generic belief in some sort of deism. If you cant find yourself to believe in one of the big 4, then rather trying to hodgepodge more crap to satisfy this need of something bigger than ourselves, why dont you seek rational enlightenment? Spiritualism doesnt have to have anything to do with supernatural (or souls etc).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Actually there are many key similarities between Buddhism and Christianity.
    Buddhism and Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    they are not COMPATIBLE. they can superficially appear similar and yet not be compatible. i figured an INTP would understand the use of language.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    dude, just, no.

When you dig beyond the specific differences? well thank you for the lesson in obvious statements! When you remove the differences between objects, they become the same! BRILLIANT!

-I mean, when you remove the specific differences between lamarckain evolution and darwinian evolution, they are basically the same!

Ill start just with the religions you gave:

Hindusim: The goal of life, according to the Advaita school, is to realize that one's ?tman is identical to Brahman, the supreme soul.
    Buddhism: In Buddhism, suffering is meaningless, except insofar as it it exhausts bad karma. The principle aim of Buddhism is to end pointless suffering.
    Christianity: The goal is realize that you are a guilty sinner, and to beg for forgiveness in the hopes of either avoiding afterlife pain/or gaining afterlife living at all
    Islam: The goal is complete submission to allah (to the point that you are willing to die)

How in the world can anyone conclude they are the same religion?! Once you remove the differences, all you have left is a generic belief in some sort of deism. If you cant find yourself to believe in one of the big 4, then rather trying to hodgepodge more crap to satisfy this need of something bigger than ourselves, why dont you seek rational enlightenment? Spiritualism doesnt have to have anything to do with supernatural (or souls etc).
    Sure, they have different teachings..but aren't all of them for the same purposes? Divine being, reaching an afterlife of some sort, a generous moral towards life? From a very, very general standpoint, one could say that they are related, in a sense. That's how I look at it, and what I believe greatly surpasses how I was able to associate it in a small text box. Take it or rip it apart, man..it's there. You can't outlaw it, and you can't disprove it..it's not a black and white scenario so it's just as immature and ignorant to say what I said was completely wrong.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?