User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Isn't the main difference between Buddha and Jesus is that Jesus encourages community involvement while Buddha encourages a withdrawal from the community?
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

while Buddha encourages a withdrawal from the community?
    buddha as inventor of "the middle way" ?

(or i am confusing something here. not sure who came up with that. i am not into history. i read herman hesse's siddhartha )

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

They are a lot alike for sure. Perhaps Jesus was in fact a Buddhist who worked to create a sort of neo-Buddhism religion.

The thing is I find that very hard to believe since supposedly Jesus never talked about Buddhism or the Buddha. Hmm.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

on the mystic side, hinduism islam and buddhism seem to have common roots. thats the bottomline of what i learned from a doku about Al-Andalus (christian & islamic territory in spain. governed by muslim from 711-1492), in particular the mezquita, mosqe of cordobra and the alhambra palace (youtube links)

christianity, the non mystical side of it, is apparently rooted in a funny DIY anarchy

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

For sure. "Be still and know that I am God" is a basic meditation instruction. The experience of God is the experience of the universe, and identity with it, hence Jesus calls himself "the son of God." He taught compassion and died for the sins of others (reminiscent of the Boddhisattva idea). I think it's safe to say he and Buddha had a lot in common.

Like nanook pointed out, though, calling him a "Buddhist" is a little strange. Calling him a mystic is more kosher.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post

Like nanook pointed out, though, calling him a "Buddhist" is a little strange. Calling him a mystic is more kosher.
    I don't even know where to start.....

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I don't even know where to start.....
    You can start with calling Edahn a verbose Jew.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Actually, I think he was Jewish
    A Buddhist Jew

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    For sure. "Be still and know that I am God" is a basic meditation instruction. The experience of God is the experience of the universe, and identity with it, hence Jesus calls himself "the son of God." He taught compassion and died for the sins of others (reminiscent of the Boddhisattva idea). I think it's safe to say he and Buddha had a lot in common.

Edahn, Psalm 46:5 "Be still and know that I am God" is not a meditation instruction. It is God ordering the heathen nations to stop their warring and be at peace and recognize Him as God. If I were God, I would say it like this (good thing I am not God) "You idiots, stop your warring ways and have some peace in your minds and know that I am God before I wipe you from the face of the earth." This Being still and knowing that He is God is not spoken to those who know He is God such as believing Jews and Christians because very simply they know He is God. It is spoken to non-believers.

People who use it as a meditation instruction are taking the verse out of context.
    "My Journey is my Destination."

"Today Counts Forever." R.C. Sproul