• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Was Jesus a Buddhist?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
"You idiots, stop your warring ways and have some peace in your minds and know that I am God before I wipe you from the face of the earth."

how is that not a meditation instruction? :D

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Here's how I look at things (like it or disagree with it).
I think the teachings up Buddism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc. are generally the same. Thus, I see the spirits in and of themselves, the same thing under a superior being. Why take one and make it specific? When you dig beyond specfific differents, they both say almost the same thing. Anyone disagree? I'd like to hear because I can argue this, and am open to other points.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
ah, some guy in another messageboard just gave me a 'whisked piece of shit' award, for saying something just like that. you gotta love meticulous concrete thinkers.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
but in case you are looking for actual meditation instructions you better make a specific choice of tradition. daniel ingram lists the diversity of only buddhistic interpretations of mysticism, see the pages of chapter "31: models and stages of enlightenment" in his online book

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
take it from an unbiased source (me = metaphysical naturalist):

all religions are not the same, and they do not come close to describing the same God/pathways etc.

Christianity and Buddhism are fundamentally NOT compatible. Secondly, there are conspiracy theories about how Jesus went to India during "the lost years"

1. If there was a jesus, he didnt go there
2. Thats a big If (there being).

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
take it from an unbiased source (me = metaphysical naturalist):

all religions are not the same, and they do not come close to describing the same God/pathways etc.

Christianity and Buddhism are fundamentally NOT compatible. Secondly, there are conspiracy theories about how Jesus went to India during "the lost years"

1. If there was a jesus, he didnt go there
2. Thats a big If (there being).

Actually there are many key similarities between Buddhism and Christianity.
Buddhism and Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

nanook

a scream in a vortex

i agree, if by Christianity you mean the common ideas as they are interpreted and understood by most, but it is always subjective what one means when he uses such words like Christianity or heaven or death.

for me, a religion is not defined by its scripture, but by the sum of all interpretations of those, who are interested in the topic

if you assume that someone somehow understands mysticism, he must focus on the common aspects, because there is only one possible range of experiences of enlightenment (and all religions are originally inspired by possible experiences). so Christian ideas like trinity must be assumed to be perspectives of a more relative, subtle stage or stage, than brahman, for instance.

incompatibility can only exist in language statements that are removed from their source or experience by subjective interpretation and hearsay. if you know how to interpret the ideas for what they really (originally) are, then you can put them on a single map. samsara and bardo have all the potential that is needed to host experiences of apparently eternal (timeless) hell, heaven, virgin doll house, jesus, other deities.

the biggest difference may be the idea of reincarnation, but what this word means is also subjective, it may well be compatible with both atheistic death and ideas of joining ancestors in heaven.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's how I look at things (like it or disagree with it).
I think the teachings up Buddism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc. are generally the same. Thus, I see the spirits in and of themselves, the same thing under a superior being. Why take one and make it specific? When you dig beyond specfific differents, they both say almost the same thing. Anyone disagree? I'd like to hear because I can argue this, and am open to other points.

dude, just, no.

When you dig beyond the specific differences? well thank you for the lesson in obvious statements! When you remove the differences between objects, they become the same! BRILLIANT!

-I mean, when you remove the specific differences between lamarckain evolution and darwinian evolution, they are basically the same!

Ill start just with the religions you gave:

Hindusim: The goal of life, according to the Advaita school, is to realize that one's ātman is identical to Brahman, the supreme soul.
Buddhism: In Buddhism, suffering is meaningless, except insofar as it it exhausts bad karma. The principle aim of Buddhism is to end pointless suffering.
Christianity: The goal is realize that you are a guilty sinner, and to beg for forgiveness in the hopes of either avoiding afterlife pain/or gaining afterlife living at all
Islam: The goal is complete submission to allah (to the point that you are willing to die)

How in the world can anyone conclude they are the same religion?! Once you remove the differences, all you have left is a generic belief in some sort of deism. If you cant find yourself to believe in one of the big 4, then rather trying to hodgepodge more crap to satisfy this need of something bigger than ourselves, why dont you seek rational enlightenment? Spiritualism doesnt have to have anything to do with supernatural (or souls etc).

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
dude, just, no.

When you dig beyond the specific differences? well thank you for the lesson in obvious statements! When you remove the differences between objects, they become the same! BRILLIANT!

-I mean, when you remove the specific differences between lamarckain evolution and darwinian evolution, they are basically the same!

Ill start just with the religions you gave:

Hindusim: The goal of life, according to the Advaita school, is to realize that one's ātman is identical to Brahman, the supreme soul.
Buddhism: In Buddhism, suffering is meaningless, except insofar as it it exhausts bad karma. The principle aim of Buddhism is to end pointless suffering.
Christianity: The goal is realize that you are a guilty sinner, and to beg for forgiveness in the hopes of either avoiding afterlife pain/or gaining afterlife living at all
Islam: The goal is complete submission to allah (to the point that you are willing to die)

How in the world can anyone conclude they are the same religion?! Once you remove the differences, all you have left is a generic belief in some sort of deism. If you cant find yourself to believe in one of the big 4, then rather trying to hodgepodge more crap to satisfy this need of something bigger than ourselves, why dont you seek rational enlightenment? Spiritualism doesnt have to have anything to do with supernatural (or souls etc).

Sure, they have different teachings..but aren't all of them for the same purposes? Divine being, reaching an afterlife of some sort, a generous moral towards life? From a very, very general standpoint, one could say that they are related, in a sense. That's how I look at it, and what I believe greatly surpasses how I was able to associate it in a small text box. Take it or rip it apart, man..it's there. You can't outlaw it, and you can't disprove it..it's not a black and white scenario so it's just as immature and ignorant to say what I said was completely wrong.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
they are not COMPATIBLE. they can superficially appear similar and yet not be compatible. i figured an INTP would understand the use of language. :D

You're saying there is nothing remotely close between Christianity and Buddhism? You can't possibly take a general arguement and take sides on it, it doesn't work that way, and it's not that clean cut and dry. Look into some possibilities here, look at some differences and weigh them with similarities. We're not looking for a yes or a no, as it's impossible to take a side here. This is a case where a lot of people throw in their ineducated ideas and decisions..why try to tear it apart when what you're doing is even more ridiculous than some of the things people are saying in here.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i figured an INTP would understand the use of language.

lol, they understand their own unique meticulous use of language, and not ever the common abstract and flexible use of it. often to a degree of narrow mindedness, where i cant believe that some of them are even intuitive. its better to say, that they are operated by language, whereas decent people are operating language.

(referring to TiNe)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
lol, they understand their own unique meticulous use of language, and not ever the common abstract and flexible use of it. often to a degree of narrow mindedness, where i cant believe that some of them are even intuitive

(referring to TiNe)

I tend to think that INTPs are some of the only people that know what they are talking about. I see people munch off of some of their stuff, which is pretty funny, as most people who critisize INTPs are too ignorant to take some time and understand the wisdom in their philosophy. You can judge, but before you do, take time to understand it..

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're saying there is nothing remotely close between Christianity and Buddhism? You can't possibly take a general arguement and take sides on it, it doesn't work that way, and it's not that clean cut and dry. Look into some possibilities here, look at some differences and weigh them with similarities. We're not looking for a yes or a no, as it's impossible to take a side here. This is a case where a lot of people throw in their ineducated ideas and decisions..why try to tear it apart when what you're doing is even more ridiculous than some of the things people are saying in here.

Look at the end games:
Buddhists want to imagine themselves out of existance.
Christians want to imagine themselves into eternal existance with God forever and ever.

You are right that they are all religions and thus "are the same" in the sense of what they seek to provide philosophical knowledge for the masses. The truth is that not even all of them claim to be paths to happiness, or morality. So they are all the same, only in that they are under the category of religion, because their core tenets are inconvertible.

By your logic, psudofederine and guafinex are the same. They are both decongestants which try and help us live happier less stuffy lives. Im trying to point out to you that the two drugs seek far different mechanism, and those differences, are fundamental, and cant be waved away.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
lol, they understand their own unique meticulous use of language, and not ever the common abstract and flexible use of it. often to a degree of narrow mindedness, where i cant believe that some of them are even intuitive. its better to say, that they are operated by language, whereas decent people are operating language.

(referring to TiNe)

Whattsa common abstract?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
well i was referring to common intp :D
in my original posting. aka hardhead's
people with first function = thinking. next best thing to entj ...

this rant is off topic, sorry. but because you are suckers for mbti, i would not know, whether to place this in the intp or intj haters thread :D

i am just venting for being called whisked piece of shit, two hours ago. guess what type that guy was

>Whattsa common abstract?

the common (frequent) [abstract and flexible] ...

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
well i was referring to common intp :D
in my original posting. aka hardhead's
people with first function = thinking. next best thing to entj ...

this rant is off topic, sorry. but because you are suckers for mbti, i would not know, whether to place this in the intp or intj haters thread :D

INTPs with strong Ti and weak Ne can definitely be fairly rigid.