• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Enemies of Reason by Richard Dawkins

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Did you see what happened to the superstitious pigeons yet? I haven't watched it (its on my sky+) but I'm intrigued about the pigeons you mentioned...!

-Geoff

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
The title of this thread is perhaps a little misleading.

Oh right lol, it is, but anyone who actually clciks on the link will know what I meant after. :blush:

Did you see what happened to the superstitious pigeons yet? I haven't watched it (its on my sky+) but I'm intrigued about the pigeons you mentioned...!

-Geoff

Not had a chance yet to rewatch it, I will do later today. Dawkins was working off of this theory I believe:

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Skinner/Pigeon/

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Oh right lol, it is, but anyone who actually clciks on the link will know what I meant after. :blush:

I dunno, I know some people who would agree with that assessment of Dawkins.

(Love a man who can preach though; glad to see the skill isn't entirely monopolized by rightists.)

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
I'll watch it soon.

Dennet Brown did one call Messiah. Here's two of the parts. (7-8 minutes each)

YouTube - Derren Brown- Instant Conversion

YouTube - Derren Brown - The Dream Machine (Messiah)

Thanks darlets :hug: , I missed that one and have been wanting to watch it ever since my friend told me about it.

I dunno, I know some people who would agree with that assessment of Dawkins.

(Love a man who can preach though; glad to see the skill isn't entirely monopolized by rightists.)

Lol I know people who agree with that statement too, but then I think they would be missing the point of what reson means, Dawkins is not the enemy of reason, I find he is just pushing for people to use theirs.

Just to use ones reason to look at something in a rational manner?

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
I have fixed the title though lol forgot this was a board full of pedantics. ;)

NocturnalSun

MBTI Type
INTP
"There are two ways of looking at the world: through faith and superstition or the rigors of logic, observation and evidence -- through reason."

False dichotomy. So much for reason.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I like the original title.

Richard Dawkins: the Enemy of Reason

"Not for the first time, reason is in need of a defence from its supposed friends, as much as its enemies."

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
"There are two ways of looking at the world: through faith and superstition or the rigors of logic, observation and evidence -- through reason."

False dichotomy. So much for reason.

Some dichotomies are real and, indeed, at odds.

NocturnalSun

MBTI Type
INTP
By nature, NT's tend to be very reason-oriented, but they do not require observation to prove truth. (iNtuitive) Just one example.

edit: And I am kinda offended that faith and superstition are lumped together as if BOTH are necessarily irrational and opposing to observation. What a mockery! My faith denies what we observe, what we have evidence for? That is EXACTLY what Dawkins pushes. All religion is the same in that it opposes evidence and logic, and that it is rooted in human superstition. That's BS, and why it is a "false dichotomy."

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
By nature, NT's tend to be very reason-oriented, but they do not require observation to prove truth. (iNtuitive) Just one example.

edit: And I am kinda offended that faith and superstition are lumped together as if BOTH are necessarily irrational and opposing to observation. What a mockery! My faith denies what we observe, what we have evidence for? That is EXACTLY what Dawkins pushes. All religion is the same in that it opposes evidence and logic, and that it is rooted in human superstition. That's BS, and why it is a "false dichotomy."

That's true, there are certainly religions which are not at odds with the findings of science. (Most forms of Buddhism, for example.) In that sense it is a false dichotomy.

O

Oberon

That's true, there are certainly religions which are not at odds with the findings of science.

That the Abrahamic religions (to pick an example) might be considered in opposition to science would have come as a considerable surprise to, say, Isaac Newton.

I suspect this is another aspect of the zeitgeist we can ascribe to Darwin...or, more properly, the succession of people who have misinterpreted his work.