User Tag List

First 123

WALMART

No, fate does not exist and our universe is not a hologram.

How do I know?

I am the end result of billions of years of matter physically evolving into higher structure. I think independently from the universe, I act independently from the universe. Every single thing in the universe is... no was... calculable, until I came along. I am now a fateless mass, meandering and manipulating nature at my will and my will alone. Nothing can change that.

EDIT: But then I start thinking about Maxwell's Demon and makes me feel like I'm wrong =( Once again, I'm back to knowing I know nothing.

Society

i don't get it - all the theory means is that we (and everything we interact with) ARE at the edge of the universe experiencing the spacial displacement through holographic projections within it.

it doesn't make our lives any more illusionary then the fact we experience areas which are mostly empty space as solid objects. it changes the medium of physics, if it's real it can have interesting implications for science and technology (such as exposing interaction rules within the projection-source), but it doesn't really change the content of the medium, just add another layer of difference between our environmental perception and our actual environment.

we are who we are, whatever medium works behind it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    it doesn't make our lives any more illusionary then the fact we experience areas which are mostly empty space as solid objects. it changes the medium of physics, if it's real it can have interesting implications for science and technology (such as exposing interaction rules within the projection-source), but it doesn't really change the content of the medium, just add another layer of difference between our environmental perception and our actual environment.

we are who we are, whatever medium works behind it.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    If our lives are predetermined, than it doesn't really matter what we think, eh? And if our lives aren't predetermined, than it's pretty useless to spend it thinking about whether our lives are predetermined.
    Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    I cannot rationally discard the possibility of something greater controlling
    every last tiny detail after having read and pondered this matter.
    Well, to some extent, everything IS controlled. The "random" events that happen in your life flow from chains of other events. Nothing that happens is random in the sense that everything can be traced, short of maybe things like Hawking radiation, which even then should be traceable even if it's beyond the bounds of the physics we know. But there's something about the conglomeration of each individual person that makes them an agent of being as well as a recipient. You're affecting the universe, too, even as the universe is affecting you. Are all of your choices predetermined? Well, maybe you could see that they are, if you step incredibly far back from the web of things and can understand the patterns as they flow. But I think it's more like you're presented with a range of choices, instead of being confined to one. Like there's essentially no chance that I will ever become an Olympic distance runner, because I truly suck at running, but there's a fair chance that I become a triathlete because I've always been interested in physical challenges... I guess I think of free will as being similar to quantum physics - easier to deal with in terms of probability rather than black and white yes and nos.