i used to think that yea, because i can choose one over another, i am somehow outside of nature(which just does what it does without thinking it). but when you think about it in deeper level; "what made you choose this over that?", you naturally come to the question of will, but why your will wants to do what it wants to do?
i think there is basically one rule to everything in the universe, 'everything that can happen, does happen', the path of least resistance is naturally a part of this. since the thing with least resistance is the one that does happen and since it has taken this certain path, it cant simultaneously be on another path, therefore one is excluded over another one. naturally we could talk about quantum physics, but i dont see that as being relevant to the physics which our brains obey.
illusion of choice is what makes human mind seem detached from rest of the nature, or to be more precise, its the complexity of human mind that builds the illusion of choice, thus only seemingly removing us from rest of the nature.
i dont think humans are capable of creating new laws, even if the whole idea is that there is no strict laws, its not laws that we create, its just patterns that we observe and theorize, which we werent aware of before.
talking about how laws of the universe work, we must include the laws by which our mind works, since our mind is just a parts of nature of the universe. i like to view this topic according to the same one rule that applies to everything else in the nature, which i think is good to separate into few pieces;
1. law of exclusion, if something happens because of some particular thing in one moment, it excludes something else that the same thing might had done in the same moment.
2. path of least resistance, everything that happens in the law of exclusion, happens because that particular thing at that particular moment had least resistance towards the path of action it took.
3. everything moves all the time. even tho its not always clear to observer that something is moving, it doesent mean that its still, but just tells about the limits of our observation. when it comes to matter, its just energy moving, not towards something, but the essence of matter is that its just energy moving in loops, instead of moving towards observed direction, thus creating gravity force and other forces of nature that we can observe.
4. possibilities. i think it would be wrong to say that the possibilities would be infinite in general for few reasons, for example, possibility is always subjective, whether something is possible or not, only depends on the circumstances and potentials of the thing. but saying that possibilities are finite would also be false(unless we exclude time and only view some specific particle), since its not known how universe works in longer time periods, whether at one time it collapses and does all the same things again, or does different things after collapsing, whether it just continues etc.
now when it comes to possibilities, we often think about what is possible in the larger scale, in our world, which is built from multiple particles and about possibilities of how these particles or masses of particles can interact. this sort of possibilities i see being a big part of this illusion of choice by will.
5. other things i cant be arsed to think right now.
now to the illusion of choice by will. this is always about the choice from different possibilities, your will is what chooses one over another. but if you look into this deeper, you need to ask the question "why did i favor this over that?". basic answer to the question is that its because of your neural connections, which developed in certain ways due to your genetic make-up, which was controlled by the environment. naturally your past choices plays a big role here, but if you made your past choices because of genes controlled by environment, you cant really use it in this, because its part of the whole "neural connections developed in certain ways due to your genetic make-up, which was controlled by the environment" thing. so if the thing(will) you use to manipulate the world around you is just a part of it, how does your will that chooses one over another is different from water that chooses to go one path over another? in my opinion, your will is fully controlled by things outside of your awareness, but because you are not aware of these things controlling it, you get the illusion of choice by will and free will.
i could go on about this forever, but i think thats enough for now
however, it is a well known fact that we cant observe everything and the things we do observe are just impressions which our brains have through our sensory neurons. since our sensory neurons simple send a message to other parts of brains, which classify the stimuli according to the past experiences, therefore i think its fair to call our perceived reality a projection.
i do think that everything is predetermined(read the free will and choice stuff on earlier this post), but we cant predict things accurately enough to tell what the fate is, everything we predict are just likely possibilities and further you try to predict something, less likely it is that you get it right, since the possibilities become possibilities of possibilities lowering the certainty.
i dont see this being something larger controlling us, its not about control to me, its just about the 'everything that can happen does happen' thing.