• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Predictability

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha...yeah i don't either and don't but i WANT to. :)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting thread. It got me thinking about how often people tend towards especially predictable responses when faced with a scenario that could invoke fear. For example, some kinds of humor, inspirational sayings, and platitudes when someone is suffering. Language often becomes rather predictable in scenarios of loss or danger.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
Interesting thread. It got me thinking about how often people tend towards especially predictable responses when faced with a scenario that could invoke fear. For example, some kinds of humor, inspirational sayings, and platitudes when someone is suffering. Language often becomes rather predictable in scenarios of loss or danger.

Hehhh.... was it an Ni perspective of yours? ;) I like!

Language is a structured system too. It has its own rules and regulations. Those rules and regulations were created as a protective techniques against any possible misunderstandings, which we've learned from our collected experiences (from mild to severe). But after generations and generations, most of us were born and became the slave of our own products without questioning its authority. Mostly we fear of the unknown or given consequences.

I'm no where near being against structures or systems. Most of what our fathers created were started out as a good intention to serve human's comfort. I'm just mildly against those who take it as it is, blindly follow it without questioning if it's going in the right direction to keep serving human race, and the environment that nurtures us.

Science started with a hypothesis, which was created by our Intuition, then got backed up by statistics, which was a product of our Logic. But statistics is subject to have error, even if it's .000001, because the original Intuition was "irrational" by itself. If those .000001 add up after theories based on theories, hypotheses based on hypotheses, then we are subject to question them.

Again, the previous paragraph was just a random moment, created by my Intuition as well :D So it's subject to be argued against, and backed up by Logic :newwink: which i'm not so fond of hahha

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm just mildly against those who take it as it is, blindly follow it without questioning if it's going in the right direction to keep serving human race, and the environment that nurtures us.
Toonia's comment is relevant here: We almost always hear this behavior described in metaphor as a blind person.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I struggle to make everything predictable as I don't want any unfortunate surprises. ( My J is 67%) It's coming back to bite me though. I seems that it is all very boring now except for the things of uncertainty- and two things I HATE are uncertainty and waiting for thing. :(

I have been able to make almost everything predictable, and I'm still not satisfied. On top of that, it drains my energy level from worrying in case something DOES go wrong! I have figured out though that the following just CAN'T be predicted:

1) Getting a Relationship
2) Getting a secure job (Career with benefits)
3) Getting transferred into a new school with a better degree program

So, I guess I'm stuck waiting. The only thing I have found that can pull me away from all of this (in a good way) is an xNFP girl:happy: whom I was interested in, unfortunately, I think she hates me! :doh:

^ Ah, luck at last! You can cross number three off that list. I just got a letter of acceptance at a new university! :cheese:

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I think the common "(Un)predictability is (un)comfortable" idea doesn't hold much water. So, you feel comfortable in unpredictable situations? That's great. I'm sure you can all tell me about that great time you had when your car unpredictably broke down during a roadtrip. The point is that unpredictability can not simply be equated to comfort, or vice versa. Predictability is only preferable in that it's a reliable way of minimizing potential discomfort, and we all try to minimize potential discomfort -- you say you're a risk taker? But you're never going to risk everything. Basically, what I'm trying to say is: even for you (apparently) free-spirited ENP types, I daresay that you'll find unpredictability comfortable only when there's a good chance it wont't piss you off -- that is, only when it suits your purposes. And I'm pretty sure everyone can do that, which is why this basic "predictability = boring" argument needs to be scrutinized.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
I think the common "(Un)predictability is (un)comfortable" idea doesn't hold much water. So, you feel comfortable in unpredictable situations? That's great. I'm sure you can all tell me about that great time you had when your car unpredictably broke down during a roadtrip. The point is that unpredictability can not simply be equated to comfort, or vice versa. Predictability is only preferable in that it's a reliable way of minimizing potential discomfort, and we all try to minimize potential discomfort -- you say you're a risk taker? But you're never going to risk everything. Basically, what I'm trying to say is: even for you (apparently) free-spirited ENP types, I daresay that you'll find unpredictability comfortable only when there's a good chance it wont't piss you off -- that is, only when it suits your purposes. And I'm pretty sure everyone can do that, which is why this basic "predictability = boring" argument needs to be scrutinized.

:huh: someone missed the point due to conditioned reflexes heh? :huh: rotf lol

hey, i suggest you watch the movie "12 angry men" (1957). maybe you'll find connections ;) lol
even the way you react to the post might be similar to how the men responded in the movie :jew: ;)
watch and see whether what i guessed was right or not before you answer heh! :D

Either this link 12 ANGRY MEN
or this link 12 Angry Men
Great movie!

oh my, you made my night :wubbie::hug:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
So, you feel comfortable in unpredictable situations? That's great. I'm sure you can all tell me about that great time you had when your car unpredictably broke down during a roadtrip.

Wasn't sure how to read this. If you were acknowledging the fun we would have breaking down on a roadtrip, awesome. If it was proposed as something terrible, choose a different example. We could probably start a thread for ENPs to talk about awesome breakdown stories. :)

On the rest of your post and ENPs comments in the thread: I think we should acknowledge that most others like predictability. It isn't boring to everyone. But it doesn't really give us comfort in the same way it does for you. The highest stress scenario for an ENP is scheduled routine and limited possibilities for dynamic change. We understand the system to avoid problems, as opposed to changing it to be predictable. Not that either way is right or wrong, just different type's preferred approach.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
:huh: someone missed the point due to conditioned reflexes heh? :huh: rotf lol

hey, i suggest you watch the movie "12 angry men" (1957). maybe you'll find connections ;) lol
even the way you react to the post might be similar to how the men responded in the movie :jew: ;)
watch and see whether what i guessed was right or not before you answer heh! :D

Either this link 12 ANGRY MEN
or this link 12 Angry Men
Great movie!

oh my, you made my night :wubbie::hug:
Yawn. For starters, how did you reach the conclusion that my response was "conditioned reflexes?" How would you describe the "way I reacted to the post"? Lastly, don't you realize that making light of the post/poster you're responding to isn't quite the epitome of constructivity?

I suppose I'll be blunt: Compare our two posts and I think it'll be easy to see that yours is much more about "conditioned reflexes", and that the way you reacted to my post is much more questionable than vice versa.

And no, I'm not watching anything simply because you're riding some "rotflol, you made my day!" wave that's apparently supposed to make me realize my error without you making any point whatsoever ;)

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Wasn't sure how to read this. If you were acknowledging the fun we would have breaking down on a roadtrip, awesome. If it was proposed as something terrible, choose a different example. We could probably start a thread for ENPs to talk about awesome breakdown stories. :)

On the rest of your post and ENPs comments in the thread: I think we should acknowledge that most others like predictability. It isn't boring to everyone. But it doesn't really give us comfort in the same way it does for you. The highest stress scenario for an ENP is scheduled routine and limited possibilities for dynamic change. We understand the system to avoid problems, as opposed to changing it to be predictable. Not that either way is right or wrong, just different type's preferred approach.

That's possible (and please note that I haven't called any preference "right" or "wrong"). I suppose what I'm wondering is whether people are really consistent in thinking "the highest stress scenario for an ENP is scheduled routine and limited possibilities for dynamic change." -- to me that looks like a statement (echoed by most ENP descriptions) that needs some reasonable justification. Now you could say something like: "Well it's just my tendency, and I do feel uncomfortable..." and I would ask, "How and why?" and you might direct me to a type description or analysis again. This is the problem I have with MBTI (not necessarily Jung's system) -- it has a lot of confirmation bias going on within it.

On the other hand, I think we should be wary about making statements like "We should probably acknowledge that most others like predictability." -- well that's really an assumption, and serves only to further your own argument in a biased way. Also, regarding the "breakdown stories thread", that's kind of my point: ENPs wouldn't be the only ones who'd post in there, and how are you going to prove that they are even going to be in the majority? and I basically guarantee (out of my ass, no less) you that while there might be awesome breakdown stories, there would also be plenty that weren't as awesome (i.e downright crappy and angering) and those wouldn't be shared.

Mole

Permabanned
I feel blahhh when anything reaches the point of being predictable.

But when I come to think of it, it's a nature of human (you know I'm generalizing) to be afraid of uncertainties. I believe Science was born out of that notion - to minimize variability, and raise the predictability level. Systems, structures, hierarchies, etc. came along to serve that purpose as well. The more mysterious or uncertain things are, the more we want to discover and straighten them out. We are subconsciously attracted to the mysteriousness, while at the same time consciously desire to make the mysterious no more mysterious. Those moments of our own discoveries give us intellectual orgasm. But after thousands of years of civilization, there are not that many mysteries out there to give us that kind of ecstasy. Instead, we get stuck in our own products of those intellectual orgasms :p Now we are all in the SOCIETY haha...

"Congratulations you just made the right choice. You are now boxed! Everything is in the reach of your hand, and no more worries about what you cannot control. Please follow our guidelines step by step in the most civilized manner. We guarantee happiness will come your way!” - signed The Society, with alpha of .05 or 95% Confidence Interval :D

Most of us chase after things that make ourselves so predictable, in the illusion that we’ll find happiness. I don’t know if I should be happy or depressed knowing it.

P.S. About the mysteries, we are now reaching out and trying to "de-mysterize" the outer space. Isn’t it cool heh? ;)

For me it is very plain - I like things to be predicable on the outside, so I can explore the new on the inside.

I like the trains to run on time, but I like to put my feet up in the carriage and let my mind run free.

I like the chaotic to be tamed and ordered so that I am free to create.

I start every day with breakfast in the Bakery but then I allow myself to do just as I wish.

And as important as order and creativity are, I find myself drawn to presence.

Presence is slightly mysterious for me - I don't know what it is - but I recognise it when it occurs.

And I am starting to distinguish between a phoney presence and a real presence.

And how extraordinary is the doctrine of the Real Presence - quite unbelievable.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx

Yawn. For starters, how did you reach the conclusion that my response was "conditioned reflexes?" How would you describe the "way I reacted to the post"? Lastly, don't you realize that making light of the post/poster you're responding to isn't quite the epitome of constructivity?

I suppose I'll be blunt: Compare our two posts and I think it'll be easy to see that yours is much more about "conditioned reflexes", and that the way you reacted to my post is much more questionable than vice versa.

And no, I'm not watching anything simply because you're riding some "rotflol, you made my day!" wave that's apparently supposed to make me realize my error without you making any point whatsoever ;)

LoL 'Cuz you started your argument with your argumentative nature without really examined what I was trying to say. Sorry it's just my loving nature made me laugh. Thats all.

Did you just get caught up with what other people's postings without really remembering what the thread starter trying to say? If so you should've quoted them. Without quoting, you directed your "this basic predictability = boring argument needs to be scrutinized" at me. Your bad.

Did I say "(un)predictability is (un)comfortable"? Did I ever put the 2 words in the same sentence throughout the whole thread? You failed right at the beginning to start it with your false pre-assumed thesis with me.

That's possible (and please note that I haven't called any preference "right" or "wrong"). I suppose what I'm wondering is whether people are really consistent in thinking "the highest stress scenario for an ENP is scheduled routine and limited possibilities for dynamic change." -- to me that looks like a statement (echoed by most ENP descriptions) that needs some reasonable justification. Now you could say something like: "Well it's just my tendency, and I do feel uncomfortable..." and I would ask, "How and why?" and you might direct me to a type description or analysis again. This is the problem I have with MBTI (not necessarily Jung's system) -- it has a lot of confirmation bias going on within it.
right there! You started your previous argument with a "conditioned reflex" (sry, i'd just love to use those words instead of "prejudice" lol) against ENPs due to your negative experiences.

To already have Jung's system integrated in your knowledge, you should've been more open to differences. You approach people with your point of view and ask them to persuade you, instead of approaching people with an inquisitive mind and learn from them.

Have you known about neurology and cognitive functions? Can I say my brain primarily use those neurons in that part of the brain and your brain primarily uses those neurons in the other part of the brain????? Even you can't accept that can you?
It's whole complicated science and you expected those ppl you asked to explain to you "how and why" ????

It's complicated because it's just hard right at the start using human mind to examine how human mind works. Fortunately not all minds are exactly the same. That's why we need open-minded scientists to spot out differences and study them, instead of scientist that relate differences to neurosis ;)

Read books about all the research and discover a possible explanation to those characteristics of Ne for yourself heh?!

On the other hand, I think we should be wary about making statements like "We should probably acknowledge that most others like predictability." -- well that's really an assumption, and serves only to further your own argument in a biased way. Also, regarding the "breakdown stories thread", that's kind of my point: ENPs wouldn't be the only ones who'd post in there, and how are you going to prove that they are even going to be in the majority? and I basically guarantee (out of my ass, no less) you that while there might be awesome breakdown stories, there would also be plenty that weren't as awesome (i.e downright crappy and angering) and those wouldn't be shared.

I think you just preferred to assume whatever others said is "absolute" to them. Nothing we said is absolute (it's our tendency, we're open to variability. oh, did the words "our tendency" just piss you off again?)
To your amusement, we did have "downright crappy and angering" breakdown stories. It came from other riders because we looked like we didn't have a care in the world while they started worrying. It just irritated people somehow. *shrug

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
That's more like it! Bring it on!

LoL 'Cuz you started your argument with your argumentative nature without really examined what I was trying to say. Sorry it's just my loving nature made me laugh. Thats all.

Did you just get caught up with what other people's postings without really remembering what the thread starter trying to say? If so you should've quoted them. Without quoting, you directed your "this basic predictability = boring argument needs to be scrutinized" at me. Your bad.

Did I say "(un)predictability is (un)comfortable"? Did I ever put the 2 words in the same sentence throughout the whole thread? You failed right at the beginning to start it with your false pre-assumed thesis with me.

1) Okay. It should be said that I wasn't actually examining what you were trying to say however, given how objective and biased MBTI-related discourse usually is. Which brings me to --
2 and 3) Why are you assuming that I directed my post at you and only you as the original poster? I was simply airing my own ideas. There is a reason I didn't quote any of you. The other poster responded to them pretty constructively. You aren't doing the same.

IEE623 said:
right there! You started your previous argument with a "conditioned reflex" (sry, i'd just love to use those words instead of "prejudice" lol) against ENPs due to your negative experiences.

Please, assume more. I'll be brief: No. One of my closest friends is an ENTP and my knowing him so well is why I voiced my own thoughts.

IEE623 said:
To already have Jung's system integrated in your knowledge, you should've been more open to differences. You approach people with your point of view and ask them to persuade you, instead of approaching people with an inquisitive mind and learn from them.

Have you known about neurology and cognitive functions? Can I say my brain primarily use those neurons in that part of the brain and your brain primarily uses those neurons in the other part of the brain????? Even you can't accept that can you?
It's whole complicated science and you expected those ppl you asked to explain to you "how and why" ????

1) I think that's only what you're seeing.
2) Trust me, I know. You might want to read my older posts back when I used to frequent this place, or ask around, instead of going on a Ne overdrive and making wrong assumptions about my knowledge based solely on this single, and apparently abrasive post you've happened to read.

And who are you to tell me about the limits of my acceptance? You don't know anything! I know you're enjoying it, as much as I'm enjoying typing this to you, but please, curb the sensationalism. It doesn't work on me.

IEE623 said:
It's complicated because it's just hard right at the start using human mind to examine how human mind works. Fortunately not all minds are exactly the same. That's why we need open-minded scientists to spot out differences and study them, instead of scientist that relate differences to neurosis ;)

Read books about all the research and discover a possible explanation to those characteristics of Ne for yourself heh?!

-_-. See all of the above.

IEE623 said:
I think you just preferred to assume whatever others said is "absolute" to them. Nothing we said is absolute (it's our tendency, we're open to variability. oh, did the words "our tendency" just piss you off again?)
To your amusement, we did have "downright crappy and angering" breakdown stories. It came from other riders because we looked like we didn't have a care in the world while they started worrying. It just irritated people somehow. *shrug

I think you're mistaken and I think you have a much higher propensity to assume than I do. You didn't piss me off, you aren't pissing me off now, and I have no idea how the thing you said relates to my amusement in any way. I'll tell you what amused me, though, in a sportsmanship sort of way: responding to this post, just as you amused yourself while responding to mine.

I'm done with you, though. Feel free to respond to this, as I'm sure you will -- it's fun!

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
I was simply airing my own ideas. There is a reason I didn't quote any of you. The other poster responded to them pretty constructively. You aren't doing the same.

Alright, I’m going to stray off the path here to argue with you, since somebody strayed off the main argument of my thread in the first place.

Heh?..... Constructiveness depends on the way you perceive an argument. You just imposed your definition of “constructive” on me sir/ma’am whatever. All the arguments are constructive to the stimulation or even development of the debaters’ brains. That’s how I see it ;)

Anyway, I won’t impose my own definition on you. I’ll try to use common sense (which I usually suck at, but who cares anyway). To describe something “constructive,” you need a base for it first. I’m just gonna say the argument is the base here. You think your first post is constructive to the argument by deviate it to type-related criticism? To argue based on types is never constructive to ideals/ideas in the first place.

One of my closest friends is an ENTP
Having a closest friend an ENTP doesn’t make you “not having negative experiences with ENTP”

I think that's only what you're seeing.

I could use that phrase to every post you post too.

And who are you to tell me about the limits of my acceptance? You don't know anything! I know you're enjoying it, as much as I'm enjoying typing this to you, but please, curb the sensationalism. It doesn't work on me.

oh did i tell you about the limits of your acceptance? i didn't see it. but if its really so, my bad.

Trust me, I know. You might want to read my older posts back when I used to frequent this place, or ask around, instead of going on a Ne overdrive and making wrong assumptions about my knowledge based solely on this single, and apparently abrasive post you've happened to read.

You describe your post as “abrasive”? It was so much “constructive” ;) But you just admitted that you started out flaw.

My answer to your first post might not be constructive (normal sense) to my thread, but it is pretty constructive to your “abrasive” post.

I'm done with you, though. Feel free to respond to this, as I'm sure you will -- it's fun!
yeah, same to you!

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
:holy:˙ǝlqɐʇɔıpǝɹd sı ʇı ƃuıɯoɔ ʇı sǝǝs uosɹǝd ǝuo ʎluo ɟı ˙ƃuıɯoɔ ʇı sǝǝs ʎpoqou ɟı ǝlqɐʇɔıpǝɹdun ʎluo sı ƃuıɥʇǝɯoS

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I think that what propositions need to be cognitively resolved (or in other words, what needs to be predictably controlled in the MIND) is somewhat dependant upon type... we see this plainly and clearly with SJs imo! NTs refute the belief that the creation of God is undiscernable and make foundations of science to find the predictability in nature.... and so on.... Mayhaps NFs need the notion that they can predictably read or scout another's emotional state? I dunno, what do you really NEED to be predictable?

I need my fast food predictable. Bic Macs 4 life, dawg!

ygolo

My termites win
upsidedown_smiley_C7E7888D-D031-80A1-DB3AD37A5813DA7D.jpg
˙ǝlqɐʇɔıpǝɹd ǝq oʇ ǝʌɹǝsǝp sƃuıɥʇ ǝɯos

Fixed.

Gengar

MBTI Type
INFP
I feel blahhh when anything reaches the point of being predictable.

But when I come to think of it, it's a nature of human (you know I'm generalizing) to be afraid of uncertainties. I believe Science was born out of that notion - to minimize variability, and raise the predictability level. Systems, structures, hierarchies, etc. came along to serve that purpose as well. The more mysterious or uncertain things are, the more we want to discover and straighten them out. We are subconsciously attracted to the mysteriousness, while at the same time consciously desire to make the mysterious no more mysterious.

I sometimes confuse this - but isn't it more statistics that raise predictability level?

To be more specific, it should be Probability. Against the Gods is a good book to use for discussion here. It mainly talks about how probability and maths gave humans the power to look forward to their own future without leaving it to 'God's will'. The book kind of makes sense; before 1500s and renaissance and finding out the earth was not the center of the universe, the future was left in 'god's hands'. Think back to the Ancient Greeks and their idea of inevitability. I think most (if not all) civilisations were based upon the idea of a divine supernatural being. Even in the situations where we have monarchy; people did what they were told by the emperor because he is the 'descendant from heaven' (not true of all cultures, but certainly for Chinese and Japanese).

So back to the topic, predictability in this sense, has given us the ability to be forward moving. Our future is in our own hands. In the course of psychology and economics, people have even tried to predict other people's behaviour. Type is one form of this. I can't say it's completely accurate, but it's a nice generalization that seems to work relatively well.

(sorry if I'm off topic. I clicked 'reply' on the first page, and I didn't really see where the 'argument' led to)

lookingglassworld

MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
3w4
Predictability to me is like watching paint dry. Boredom is slow death. Change is what life is all about. No change,no growth. (my experience anyway!!)