User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Predictability

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

haha...yeah i don't either and don't but i WANT to.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Interesting thread. It got me thinking about how often people tend towards especially predictable responses when faced with a scenario that could invoke fear. For example, some kinds of humor, inspirational sayings, and platitudes when someone is suffering. Language often becomes rather predictable in scenarios of loss or danger.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    NeXx
    Socionics
    IeE

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Interesting thread. It got me thinking about how often people tend towards especially predictable responses when faced with a scenario that could invoke fear. For example, some kinds of humor, inspirational sayings, and platitudes when someone is suffering. Language often becomes rather predictable in scenarios of loss or danger.
    Hehhh.... was it an Ni perspective of yours? I like!

Language is a structured system too. It has its own rules and regulations. Those rules and regulations were created as a protective techniques against any possible misunderstandings, which we've learned from our collected experiences (from mild to severe). But after generations and generations, most of us were born and became the slave of our own products without questioning its authority. Mostly we fear of the unknown or given consequences.

I'm no where near being against structures or systems. Most of what our fathers created were started out as a good intention to serve human's comfort. I'm just mildly against those who take it as it is, blindly follow it without questioning if it's going in the right direction to keep serving human race, and the environment that nurtures us.

Science started with a hypothesis, which was created by our Intuition, then got backed up by statistics, which was a product of our Logic. But statistics is subject to have error, even if it's .000001, because the original Intuition was "irrational" by itself. If those .000001 add up after theories based on theories, hypotheses based on hypotheses, then we are subject to question them.

Again, the previous paragraph was just a random moment, created by my Intuition as well So it's subject to be argued against, and backed up by Logic which i'm not so fond of hahha
    "Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters"

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by IEE623 View Post
    I'm just mildly against those who take it as it is, blindly follow it without questioning if it's going in the right direction to keep serving human race, and the environment that nurtures us.
    Toonia's comment is relevant here: We almost always hear this behavior described in metaphor as a blind person.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by d@v3 View Post
    I struggle to make everything predictable as I don't want any unfortunate surprises. ( My J is 67%) It's coming back to bite me though. I seems that it is all very boring now except for the things of uncertainty- and two things I HATE are uncertainty and waiting for thing.

I have been able to make almost everything predictable, and I'm still not satisfied. On top of that, it drains my energy level from worrying in case something DOES go wrong! I have figured out though that the following just CAN'T be predicted:

1) Getting a Relationship
    2) Getting a secure job (Career with benefits)
    3) Getting transferred into a new school with a better degree program

So, I guess I'm stuck waiting. The only thing I have found that can pull me away from all of this (in a good way) is an xNFP girl whom I was interested in, unfortunately, I think she hates me!
    ^ Ah, luck at last! You can cross number three off that list. I just got a letter of acceptance at a new university!

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I think the common "(Un)predictability is (un)comfortable" idea doesn't hold much water. So, you feel comfortable in unpredictable situations? That's great. I'm sure you can all tell me about that great time you had when your car unpredictably broke down during a roadtrip. The point is that unpredictability can not simply be equated to comfort, or vice versa. Predictability is only preferable in that it's a reliable way of minimizing potential discomfort, and we all try to minimize potential discomfort -- you say you're a risk taker? But you're never going to risk everything. Basically, what I'm trying to say is: even for you (apparently) free-spirited ENP types, I daresay that you'll find unpredictability comfortable only when there's a good chance it wont't piss you off -- that is, only when it suits your purposes. And I'm pretty sure everyone can do that, which is why this basic "predictability = boring" argument needs to be scrutinized.
    Not really.

MBTI
    NeXx
    Socionics
    IeE

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    I think the common "(Un)predictability is (un)comfortable" idea doesn't hold much water. So, you feel comfortable in unpredictable situations? That's great. I'm sure you can all tell me about that great time you had when your car unpredictably broke down during a roadtrip. The point is that unpredictability can not simply be equated to comfort, or vice versa. Predictability is only preferable in that it's a reliable way of minimizing potential discomfort, and we all try to minimize potential discomfort -- you say you're a risk taker? But you're never going to risk everything. Basically, what I'm trying to say is: even for you (apparently) free-spirited ENP types, I daresay that you'll find unpredictability comfortable only when there's a good chance it wont't piss you off -- that is, only when it suits your purposes. And I'm pretty sure everyone can do that, which is why this basic "predictability = boring" argument needs to be scrutinized.
    someone missed the point due to conditioned reflexes heh? rotf lol

hey, i suggest you watch the movie "12 angry men" (1957). maybe you'll find connections lol
    even the way you react to the post might be similar to how the men responded in the movie
    watch and see whether what i guessed was right or not before you answer heh!

Either this link 12 ANGRY MEN
    or this link 12 Angry Men
    Great movie!

oh my, you made my night
    "Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters"

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    So, you feel comfortable in unpredictable situations? That's great. I'm sure you can all tell me about that great time you had when your car unpredictably broke down during a roadtrip.
    Wasn't sure how to read this. If you were acknowledging the fun we would have breaking down on a roadtrip, awesome. If it was proposed as something terrible, choose a different example. We could probably start a thread for ENPs to talk about awesome breakdown stories.

On the rest of your post and ENPs comments in the thread: I think we should acknowledge that most others like predictability. It isn't boring to everyone. But it doesn't really give us comfort in the same way it does for you. The highest stress scenario for an ENP is scheduled routine and limited possibilities for dynamic change. We understand the system to avoid problems, as opposed to changing it to be predictable. Not that either way is right or wrong, just different type's preferred approach.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by IEE623 View Post
    someone missed the point due to conditioned reflexes heh? rotf lol

hey, i suggest you watch the movie "12 angry men" (1957). maybe you'll find connections lol
    even the way you react to the post might be similar to how the men responded in the movie
    watch and see whether what i guessed was right or not before you answer heh!

Either this link 12 ANGRY MEN
    or this link 12 Angry Men
    Great movie!

oh my, you made my night
    Yawn. For starters, how did you reach the conclusion that my response was "conditioned reflexes?" How would you describe the "way I reacted to the post"? Lastly, don't you realize that making light of the post/poster you're responding to isn't quite the epitome of constructivity?

I suppose I'll be blunt: Compare our two posts and I think it'll be easy to see that yours is much more about "conditioned reflexes", and that the way you reacted to my post is much more questionable than vice versa.

And no, I'm not watching anything simply because you're riding some "rotflol, you made my day!" wave that's apparently supposed to make me realize my error without you making any point whatsoever
    Not really.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Wasn't sure how to read this. If you were acknowledging the fun we would have breaking down on a roadtrip, awesome. If it was proposed as something terrible, choose a different example. We could probably start a thread for ENPs to talk about awesome breakdown stories.

On the rest of your post and ENPs comments in the thread: I think we should acknowledge that most others like predictability. It isn't boring to everyone. But it doesn't really give us comfort in the same way it does for you. The highest stress scenario for an ENP is scheduled routine and limited possibilities for dynamic change. We understand the system to avoid problems, as opposed to changing it to be predictable. Not that either way is right or wrong, just different type's preferred approach.
    That's possible (and please note that I haven't called any preference "right" or "wrong"). I suppose what I'm wondering is whether people are really consistent in thinking "the highest stress scenario for an ENP is scheduled routine and limited possibilities for dynamic change." -- to me that looks like a statement (echoed by most ENP descriptions) that needs some reasonable justification. Now you could say something like: "Well it's just my tendency, and I do feel uncomfortable..." and I would ask, "How and why?" and you might direct me to a type description or analysis again. This is the problem I have with MBTI (not necessarily Jung's system) -- it has a lot of confirmation bias going on within it.

On the other hand, I think we should be wary about making statements like "We should probably acknowledge that most others like predictability." -- well that's really an assumption, and serves only to further your own argument in a biased way. Also, regarding the "breakdown stories thread", that's kind of my point: ENPs wouldn't be the only ones who'd post in there, and how are you going to prove that they are even going to be in the majority? and I basically guarantee (out of my ass, no less) you that while there might be awesome breakdown stories, there would also be plenty that weren't as awesome (i.e downright crappy and angering) and those wouldn't be shared.
    Not really.