User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 66

Thread: Obscenity

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    There is a good number of interesting people here as well as knee jerk retards.

    You just have to sort through the crap to get to the good stuff. Use the ignore function, it helps. Why I just made an addition to my list based on this thread alone.

    Itís insane that you were suspended for that - Iíve seen posts on here more ďpornographicĒ than that. But I guess itís not that surprising on a site where you get tarred for criticizing Rush Limbaugh.

    Donít worry I have to at least stick around to get my 100 posts to become a senior member and enjoy all the perks that go with it Ė which Iíve been told includes use of their private jet.
    i believe that i am in hell, therefore i am there.
    Ėarthur rimbaud

  2. #32
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Really? Your beliefs seem entirely mainstream for an Australian.
    Funnily enough, I house-shared with a bunch of Aussies, back in the 80s in West London. Apart from the drinking and fighting, they never actually swore much - by British standards anyway. When they did it was almost like ventriloquist with an invisible dummy - a teeth whisper down the shirt - and all the more effective for it.

    One of the guys used to put cigarettes out with his bare feet ("pain, y'see - it's all in the mind"); the fridge had an enormous stash of Tuoys & VB, with the occassional Steinlager for Kiwi visitors. Open house.

    Excellent ambassadors, one and all.

    But one thing I did notice - the general dislike of the "pommy wanker" (trans: egocentric, self-serving but vacuous, locals). I suppose by definition this extended to all those that pretend to be what they are not, while paradoxically undergoing a personal transformation that involved a certain amount of acting.

    All the best.

  3. #33
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
    Itís insane that you were suspended for that - Iíve seen posts on here more ďpornographicĒ than that. But I guess itís not that surprising on a site where you get tarred for criticizing Rush Limbaugh.
    It wasn't about "pornography", but nice try.

  4. #34
    I'm a star. Kangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    Did I just get called a pommy wanker?

    I do have a UK passport, so maybe I am.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

    "please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

  5. #35
    it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Whether a gun is held at your head or a phallus - the result is the same.

    Both are obscene.
    Victor, this is a curious statement. Would you be willing to explain the connection you have found between the two to me? You've said before that guns are designed for killing, and if this is so, then perhaps there is something to your connection and we can consider it done.

    ... So it remains a matter of this: what is it about guns that you believe is designed to kill people other than that, along with a variety of other objects, they can and are used this way? For example, would you make the statement above about a baseball bat? Perhaps not, but perhaps so, and if you feel the intuitive tug in both directions, then may I suggest the following resolution to the dilemma?:

    A baseball bat by itself is not a killing object, but this function can be pushed onto it, say, projected onto it. That is, the bat is not the killer, but our way of seeing it, should we see it as an object used to destroy, is. Would you agree?

    If so, it seems plausible the same may be said for a gun, which is a mere functionless mechanical assembly by itself, but is given purpose by the person using it according to their purposes.

    Now, there is an objection as follows, that a baseball bat is made for playing baseball, while a gun is made for killing. But, either object may be used for killing, or used for other purposes altogether. A gun may be used validly for sport, just as a javelin or a bow may be, even though both have used as a weapons. How then could the distinction about what they are made for hold? How could it matter? Presumably, all these objects are made just to make money because they have market demand in peoples lives according to the purposes they give them.

    Now, an extension of the argument above is valid too for pornography. A picture of a nude woman is by no means obscene. How could a human body be obscene? How, even, could human copulation be obscene? But it can be MADE obscene because obscenity can be projected onto it, because it is seen a certain way. Pornography has nothing to do with content, and everything to do with perception.

    Do you understand the implication?

    If you see sin in the world, the sin is in your seeing, thus, change your seeing. It is a very fortunate world we live in that so little is required to eradicate sin! Namely this, it is gone the second you stop insisting it is there.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

  6. #36
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antireconciler View Post
    Victor, this is a curious statement.
    Yes, Antireconciler, it is a curious statement.

    After all, as you say, a gun is made for killing while a phallus gives life.

    It would seem to be a far reach to compare the two - in fact, a bridge too far.

    But consider, they are opposites - they draw attention to one another.

    A good play for instance contains opposites such as life and death - Shakespearean plays are littered with bodies, yet they are about life.

    And at a deeper level, we perceive by making distinctions, and the distinction between life and death catches our attention.

    So I make the distinction between the gun and the phallus to catch your attention. And look how well it worked - you are paying me attention now - thank you.

    And at a formal level it is a metaphor. And a metaphor, you remember, is a comparison of relationships. So a metaphor is not a literal description - as you can see: a phallus is not a gun.

    But a gun has a certain relationship to a person; and a phallus has a certain relationship to a person; and I am comparing the relationships.

    Of course a metaphor has multiple meanings, so I am also comparing a gun to life and death, and interestingly, a phallus to life and death. And in this metaphor you may find other meanings as well.

    But then, as is my wont, I collapse all these meanings into one and say, "They are both obscene".

    Of course this is not a logical argument, it is meant to open your mind to multiple possibilities, then to collapse it down to one possibility, that, "both are obscene".

    And this is the title of the thread, so we are back where we started - and still, thank God, on topic after a little meander through the garden of metaphor.

  7. #37
    it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Thank you for your kind response.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

  8. #38
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antireconciler View Post
    Thank you for your kind response.
    You sound nonplussed.

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    It wasn't about "pornography", but nice try.
    Iím not sure what you mean by ďnice try.Ē If Edgar made that up- that he got suspended for posting Lindsey Lohan with I CAME underneath - you should have already called him on it instead of me. Since you didnít, I assume it was true.

    I havenít been here that long and even I can see that this boardís as cliquey as a junior high lunchroom. I wonder if everyone on here would get suspended for something like that.
    i believe that i am in hell, therefore i am there.
    Ėarthur rimbaud

  10. #40
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The worst that can happen is that one side or the other gets silenced. And the best is that every voice is heard.
    Except for the voices you consider to be obscene...right. Freedom of speech is great until the speech is something that offends you personally. Got it.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Similar Threads

  1. Do we live in an obscene culture?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 05:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO