• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does time really exist

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Does time really exist. Or is it merely an information projection from our brain. I recall that goldfishes only have 3 second of memory. so time pratically iunexistent to them. When there is a memory loss or the brain death, time is stolen from us. So i want to discuss, is time merely ia construction of information from our brain or does it really exist?

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yes. If time didn't exist then any progression other than absolute static motion could have never been made.

I recall that goldfishes only have 3 second of memory. so time pratically iunexistent to them.
It must be tough to be a rock then.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Time is a physical property of our universe. If it were only a product of the human cognitive process you would not see time dilation effects on clocks, and extended heavy particle lifetimes seen in particle accelerators.

That's a very underrated aspect of Relativity theory I think. Time as an intricate piece of space, and not just a biological delusion.

TheJimbo

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
3w4
I've always played with the idea that at the core of the universe only 1 operation can be performed at a single moment in time, and that time as we perceive it is our minds' attempt to gauge how many operations have gone by. Or maybe I'm looking at it too mechanically.

Didums

Yes, time exists as the 4th spatial dimension of spacetime. However, as 3-dimensional beings we only perceive it in little cross-sections that we call "moments" and from this we perceive a horizontal timeline of events, giving us a false impression of what time is in its entirety.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel sense intuit believe that it does. I lack the data to support my belief.

Let me go feed my Ti some Wheaties 'fore I over-exert my cerebral cortex, then maybe I can give it a go.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I don't know about time (in the end we only have one filter - ourselves - so there's is no term of comparison) but the way we perceive time is definitely subjective.

Like fun VS boredom. I constantly wonder about the possibility of a brutally painful death being perceived as a never-ending event by our mind....Imagine yourself 'drowning' for all eternity! :eek:

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Let say you are a machine , and you have consciousness and information in the information center, Does it experience time? No. So i imagine time is a construct of the brain.

Didums

Let say you are a machine , and you have consciousness and information in the information center, Does it experience time?

The machine is contained within 3 spatial dimensions, and if it has a consciousness analogous to that of a human, yes it would experience time in the same way we do. It would experience things in terms of input and output, cause and effect, just like we do.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I hope so. Because if I got up before 8am all those times for nothing, I'm going to be pissed.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Time may or may not be a human construct. It may run both backwards or forwards. Or all at once.

We think we know what time it is, but truth be told, we haven't a clue.

As far as goldfish go, I have quite a few asleep under a layer of ice and a tarp right now. They will have been there for about five months on that first sunny day when I lift the tarp and the ice melts.

I will then call them to the surface and they will all come to me at the sound of my voice. And they will contine to come to the surface when I call them all summer long even if I call them from the deck and don't stand at the edge of the pond.

Is that memory? It's conditioning, but I don't know what else it could be based on other than memory.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
As far as goldfish go, I have quite a few asleep under a layer of ice and a tarp right now. They will have been there for about five months on that first sunny day when I lift the tarp and the ice melts.

I will then call them to the surface and they will all come to me at the sound of my voice. And they will contine to come to the surface when I call them all summer long even if I call them from the deck and don't stand at the edge of the pond.

Is that memory? It's conditioning, but I don't know what else it could be based on other than memory.
Actually I've read that fish have a working memory of seven seconds. untypable must have confused working memory with long term.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
E=Mc<sq'd>

Energy exists, mass exists - and 'speed of light'<sq'd> is an attribute of Time.

... At least, that's the economic viewpoint for it.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Then what is the difference between a machine that can experience time and a personal computer?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, time exists as the 4th spatial dimension of spacetime. However, as 3-dimensional beings we only perceive it in little cross-sections that we call "moments" and from this we perceive a horizontal timeline of events, giving us a false impression of what time is in its entirety.

this guy.

Although i prefer to think of it this way: our brains only perceive time going forward because its the only way our brains can make sense of time (simple --> complex), ie it would make no sense to "forget the future" as you go...

the 4th dimension is a symmetry breaking dimension. So in one sense the space-time object already exists and so time is an illusion...in another sense though, the object expands at a rate faster than light in some calculations, so then time in a sense "trails" the actaul creation of this space time object.

if you really want to be mind fucked about time:
black out from alcohol, and then watch videos of what you did those hours. It will be like that NEVER happened in time! you can never re-experience those moments EVER again...Because you cant remember experiencing those moments, its as if you never even experienced them once. if you hadnt taken those videos, it would be as if those moments in time never existed (as far as your perception is concerned).

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Does time really exist. Or is it merely an information projection from our brain. I recall that goldfishes only have 3 second of memory. so time pratically iunexistent to them. When there is a memory loss or the brain death, time is stolen from us. So i want to discuss, is time merely ia construction of information from our brain or does it really exist?

time is just something to mark our lives and give reference to.

i tried walking around without my cell phone today, i totally lost track of time. total freedom. nothing to reference my obligations, responsibilites to. just pure being, satisfying basic needs. its like, once my sense of time and cell phone were gone, my entire societal obligations seemed to temporary not exist anymore. this is what the bums in berkeley who were temporary drop out students were talking about haha.

felt like i was living in the mountains or something. lolz

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Inflation is ahead of time.
Is it ahead of time in time?

What is ahead of the subject is behind of the object.
And vice versa.

Tic tic ..
There is no count beyond the loci.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let say you are a machine , and you have consciousness and information in the information center, Does it experience time? No. So i imagine time is a construct of the brain.

and how would the machine be conscious if it couldnt experience time?!

if you suddenly forgot everything: ie couldnt remember the past: ie couldnt experience time passage -> you would have no comment on anything, no ability to make statements about yourself --> ie you wouldnt be conscious

FAIL :D

Inflation is ahead of time.
Is it ahead of time in time?

i mentioned this in my post. the space time 4d object is growing faster than the speed of light, and thus time is both an illusion (because much of the object is already "there" and yet time is real because the object hasnt been entirely created yet.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Machines don't experience time? Tell that to my stop watch. That's similar to how our brains experience time. It's nothing more than electrical impulses.