User Tag List

123 Last

Post Does time really exist

Does time really exist. Or is it merely an information projection from our brain. I recall that goldfishes only have 3 second of memory. so time pratically iunexistent to them. When there is a memory loss or the brain death, time is stolen from us. So i want to discuss, is time merely ia construction of information from our brain or does it really exist?
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yes. If time didn't exist then any progression other than absolute static motion could have never been made.

I recall that goldfishes only have 3 second of memory. so time pratically iunexistent to them.
    It must be tough to be a rock then.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Time is a physical property of our universe. If it were only a product of the human cognitive process you would not see time dilation effects on clocks, and extended heavy particle lifetimes seen in particle accelerators.

That's a very underrated aspect of Relativity theory I think. Time as an intricate piece of space, and not just a biological delusion.

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I've always played with the idea that at the core of the universe only 1 operation can be performed at a single moment in time, and that time as we perceive it is our minds' attempt to gauge how many operations have gone by. Or maybe I'm looking at it too mechanically.
    "Whoever stands on the highest mountains laughs at all tragic plays and tragic seriousness." ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Yes, time exists as the 4th spatial dimension of spacetime. However, as 3-dimensional beings we only perceive it in little cross-sections that we call "moments" and from this we perceive a horizontal timeline of events, giving us a false impression of what time is in its entirety.

I feel sense intuit believe that it does. I lack the data to support my belief.

Let me go feed my Ti some Wheaties 'fore I over-exert my cerebral cortex, then maybe I can give it a go.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTj

Not any more. I used it up yesterday.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I don't know about time (in the end we only have one filter - ourselves - so there's is no term of comparison) but the way we perceive time is definitely subjective.

Like fun VS boredom. I constantly wonder about the possibility of a brutally painful death being perceived as a never-ending event by our mind....Imagine yourself 'drowning' for all eternity! :eek:

Let say you are a machine , and you have consciousness and information in the information center, Does it experience time? No. So i imagine time is a construct of the brain.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Quote Originally Posted by untypable View Post
    Let say you are a machine , and you have consciousness and information in the information center, Does it experience time?
    The machine is contained within 3 spatial dimensions, and if it has a consciousness analogous to that of a human, yes it would experience time in the same way we do. It would experience things in terms of input and output, cause and effect, just like we do.