• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does time really exist

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
i mentioned this in my post. the space time 4d object is growing faster than the speed of light, and thus time is both an illusion (because much of the object is already "there" and yet time is real because the object hasnt been entirely created yet.

Can you explain this a little more? Because I am not sure how you come to this conclusion. Any object's velocity through spacetime is the speed of light, however the components of the vector are split between movement through space and movement through time. The faster you move through space, the slower your 4d vector magnitude is, and vice versa.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
only in the sense of past, present and future and only because all things have a beginning and an end.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Inflation is ahead of time.
Is it ahead of time in time?

What is ahead of the subject is behind of the object.
And vice versa.

Tic tic ..
There is no count beyond the loci.
A perplexing question.

Maybe not ahead but next to?

Several years ago I had a weird experience. I was nearly run over by a truck, crossing the road. My fault entirely -

For a moment, the driver could have hit or missed.

It occured to me that maybe he did hit! At the point just before the occurance, escape and death converged; both dead and alive.

And as it takes us a quarter of a second to register events, I missed the lot, but carried on alive and oblivious in one branch, but dead in the other.

Tic, tic, indeed.

Qre:us

Apparantly it does, cuz I tried to use this with an undergrad Philosophy prof one time, with regards to handing in a late assignment. The answer was a resounding: YES! :shock:

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
A perplexing question.

Maybe not ahead but next to?

Several years ago I had a weird experience. I was nearly run over by a truck, crossing the road. My fault entirely -

For a moment, the driver could have hit or missed.

It occured to me that maybe he did hit! At the point just before the occurance, escape and death converged; both dead and alive.

And as it takes us a quarter of a second to register events, I missed the lot, but carried on alive and oblivious in one branch, but dead in the other.

Tic, tic, indeed.
A similar incident happened to me in Paris.
It was midnight, after rain, early August, 1965.

I was crossing the road. A car came from nowhere. Or so it seemed.
I should have been dead. I do not understand how I am alive.

Another curious incident took place that summer. I was sleeping my nights on a park bench, aside the road, in Paris. But those crazy Parisian drivers did not let me.
Every time a car passed me, I woke up. And they passed me all the time.

A week after this hell, I awoke on my park bench one morning. It was passed eight.
I entered a cafe.
While I did, time changed. I was in the middle of the French Revolution.
The cafe was a Jacobin haunt.
All the people who sat there, drinking their coffee, were clad in red Jacobine caps.
I wore a red cap, too.

I received my coffee at the encounter desk.
I took my cup of coffee and I walked to my table and I sat down.
I was under orders to kill the man who had just handed me my cup of coffee.
The man without the red cap. But that could wait. First the coffee.
I gulped it down.
While I did, time changed again. In a sudden, everything was back to normal again.
No read caps. No orders of assassinations.

I am glad I did not kill the poor chap.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
You are still experiencing time even if it flowed backwards.

Time cannot exist witjout information and energy. If the energy in our brain is exhausted, time would cease to exist as well.

As for the watch paradox, the watch itself does not consciousness and experience time, you experience time from the watch.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Time exists, yet its felt like I'm an observer from outside the normal reference range of time everybody else seems to participate in.

Why the other day I could of sworn it was still 1999. :huh:

Its almost like since that time, I've been displaced out of time and unsure how to restart the clock to normal time.
Suffice to say I space out at intervals that make my thought fields static like time isn't of the essence and life is but a temporary vessel that makes for random cups tea.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm pretty sure time exists.... unless the universe is destroyed and recreated continuously, which even in that case time would still be infinitesimally (from our perspective) conceivable anyway.

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure time is a construct of our minds.
Time = A fraction of a sun/moon cycle. So yes, it is a construct of our minds. Also, yes it is reality as well. Even the concept of a long wait, a stressful moment, an easy test, a boring time, a scary moment, a fleeting moment in time, or an entertaining occurrence subjectively speaks for the existence of time.

Of course it exists. It can easily be proved by watching a droplet falling from a faucet.

Lol, also if you were part of a police department's "bomb squad", then technically you wouldn't even bother with defusing a bomb if time didn't exist. It was just meant to blow up, or not blow up. Why bother with trying to defuse a fiasco if time does not exist. It either will happen or will not happen, right?

Basically what I'm saying is: I'm not sure if I understand your question. Are you asking if our lives are an amalgamation of a series of static frozen moments? Because in that case time would still exist. Or are you asking if our lives are a series of disjointed static moments in different universes? In that case, I believe through infinite mathematics time can also be proved. However I am no expert on the subject, and you would need to refer to someone with this brand of expertise.

Perhaps you should be more specific with your premises first. Please restate the question with these new thoughts in mind, so you may make your amendments.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If time is not a perception of the human mind, why do we perceive it differently at different times? Because we are three dimensional beings? Too much input at any given time or not as much, so our brains handle it differently? Not trying to be argumentative here - just trying to understand.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
If time is not a perception of the human mind, why do we perceive it differently at different times? Because we are three dimensional beings? Too much input at any given time or not as much, so our brains handle it differently? Not trying to be argumentative here - just trying to understand.
You can perceive distances differently at different times, as well.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Time is only a figment of our imaginations- we've created a system to time out time- seconds, minutes, hours, days, months, years, etc. That's all time is- nothing else. Time doesn't exist in nature, in my opinion. It's something else..simply being, and changing, and humans decided to put numbers around change.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Time is only a figment of our imaginations- we've created a system to time out time- seconds, minutes, hours, days, months, years, etc. That's all time is- nothing else. Time doesn't exist in nature, in my opinion. It's something else..simply being, and changing, and humans decided to put numbers around change.

This is what time is. The actual numbers are arbitrary and another consciousness may not interpret those numbers in the same way we do, but the actual concept of a fixed rate [across an identical reference frame at least] of change is something that is built into the physical universe.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Time is a label we assign to the constant movement of everything. Things decay, they change, they move.. Time doesn't exist, but it is the abstract component responsible for the existence and nonexistence of things.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, just like words are the label that we give to meaningless morphemes that link together to make sounds. We ascribe meaning to these sounds, and decide to call it "communication." So words don't really exist, they are a figment of our imagination. Regardless, it does not mean we should treat it as frivolous.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Time is a label we assign to the constant movement of everything. Things decay, they change, they move.. Time doesn't exist, but it is the abstract component responsible for the existence and nonexistence of things.

That constant movement is energy, why call it time?

It is still a question whether time is a construct of the energy and mind, or fact it actually exist as an quantity.