• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Progress=extinction ?

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
We're here to stay. That's that.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
We're here to stay. That's that.
Yes we ar..
nuclear_fireball.jpg

:laugh:

P

Phantonym

Well I said extinction because it is extinction. At first you will still see typical human traits but as the decades or centuries pass the human aspect will be lost.

Basicly the entire idea comes down to making more and more artificial changes in human nature and body. What would that exactly be I don't know.

The problem is that today you need 40 years of education to get a first class scientist that can do some new research. What means that a person has about 10 years to work before his/her mind starts to degenerate by observabele degree.
This could sound funny but this is a very serious problem. Especially since the amount of knowledge is growing constantly.

I think I get now what you mean by this merging and extinction.

By using the technology to improve human beings to be able to exist/survive in this world that has gone through the progress (I mean the world of the future) the human part in us is sort of lost or diminished. Not entirely lost, but aided by technology in a way that you cannot call them humans anymore.

From the top of my head. This obviously includes artificial organs to increase the life span. Enhancement of brain capacity and mental ability.

Artificial changes in human nature - eliminating the aspects that hinder their efficiency?

Sorry, I haven't read through this whole thread and I can imagine that I might be repeating some of your ideas.

And I don't think that what you said about the scientist sounds funny. I get that it is a problem. The potential is lost because of the frailty of human mind and body.

I'm not quite sure why this subject fascinates me but you have some interesting ideas.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think I get now what you mean by this merging and extinction.

By using the technology to improve human beings to be able to exist/survive in this world that has gone through the progress (I mean the world of the future) the human part in us is sort of lost or diminished. Not entirely lost, but aided by technology in a way that you cannot call them humans anymore.

From the top of my head. This obviously includes artificial organs to increase the life span. Enhancement of brain capacity and mental ability.

Artificial changes in human nature - eliminating the aspects that hinder their efficiency?

Sorry, I haven't read through this whole thread and I can imagine that I might be repeating some of your ideas.

And I don't think that what you said about the scientist sounds funny. I get that it is a problem. The potential is lost because of the frailty of human mind and body.

I'm not quite sure why this subject fascinates me but you have some interesting ideas.

Yes, but once the "transformation" is complete you can expect that things will stay like that forever. Especially since this change will open the doors for another set of changes.

What means that eventually all human traits will evaporate.

You like the topic because you are a Ni-dom and this kinds of things are our "natural" interests.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am wondering what assets the human mind brings to technology, that you think it would benefit. Why would machines want human cognition?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am wondering what assets the human mind brings to technology, that you think it would benefit. Why would machines want human cognition?

Well, many experts on artificial intelligence have said that constructing a real AI will be quite hard. So it could be wise to use human brain as a starting point. What in a way it would be great since this would be next step in the evolution.

You can't just say what will benefit and what will not. Since different things will benefit at the different stages of the process. Plus completly new proprerties will appear with time.

Everytime you see a granny with a peacemaker you see the beginning of this process.
As far as I know scientist have already managed to create functional artificial limbs a few years back.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
you know, there's a certain balance in nature. if you die, you become food for the most primitive form of living, and the food chain begins anew. it's a cycle; in fact most natural things are cyclic.

in the same way progress wasn't made entirely by NTs, because those same NTs wouldn't be able to progress without NFs. it wasn't a rational that walked out of the caves when our species were still infant - it was an idealist. but it was the rational who built the first hut/house.

even though this is just a minor point, it is worth mentioning that we wouldn't be this far without either N types.

--

from the day i sat down with a friend and deducted the meaning of life (it's not a big deal, honestly), i have had a different view of progress. nature does not care about who lives or who dies, nature does not care what happens to entire planets, systems or galaxies. in the same way, nature does not care who progresses or not. we make our own goals to see and understand the universe, nature and everything within, because that's how we were created (i do not take this point for granted, but i don't want to elaborate upon it now).

it is only recently (~2500 years ago) we have thought that the perception and conception of the human mind may be limited in searching for the truth of reality. and it is only by the advancement of present day neuro-scientists that we may actually be able to go beyond the perspective of the human mind. to do this, of course, we need to disassociate ourselves with being human.

progress does not necessarily mean extinction. progress merely means that in order to get an objective view, to see "the truth", we need to go beyond humanity; and not just humanity, but to go beyond any species of atom based material. if this means extinction for a race or a species, well, it'd be a small price to pay to become all.

i consider it the price even smaller due to that the number of atoms will stay the same - they will just be relocated. new species will arise as the deaths of more primitive ones are carried out. if anything, this displays a greater cycle of life; and that progress is merely a part of this cycle. we are not the end; we are means to an end. and with that end, a new beginning will come that may just bring us a little step closer to understanding nature.

as an additional note, i realize that this is perhaps the greatest overview the human mind can have, because this is what we're striving towards. in this overview, elements such as education, resources and so on become irrelevant. whatever obstacle will come, there will always be someone who will be able to circumvent it in the quest for this, shall we say, ultimate goal?

P

Phantonym

even though this is just a minor point, it is worth mentioning that we wouldn't be this far without either N types.

This can be said about all the types. Each brings something valuable.

it is only recently (~2500 years ago) we have thought that the perception and conception of the human mind may be limited in searching for the truth of reality. and it is only by the advancement of present day neuro-scientists that we may actually be able to go beyond the perspective of the human mind. to do this, of course, we need to disassociate ourselves with being human.

Agreed

if anything, this displays a greater cycle of life; and that progress is merely a part of this cycle. we are not the end; we are means to an end. and with that end, a new beginning will come that may just bring us a little step closer to understanding nature.

And that's why it's called "survival of the fittest"

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
This can be said about all the types. Each brings something valuable.

S types do not bring progress; they bring structure and entertainment.

And that's why it's called "survival of the fittest"

to an extent this is true. but once you start going into sapience rather than sentience, things are not so simply anymore. like i said, progress does not equal extinction. and with each step away from instinctive behavior, we find that resources may not require death, and that energy can be found in various sources. it's not survival of the fittest at this point, because there is little survival to us in this anymore; and there will be even less on the road ahead. for sapience, it is about progress. you may even be inclined to say something in the lines of "ascension of the most progressive".