User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 31

  1. #21
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Thank you for a thorough and a thought provoking response.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  2. #22
    Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    SolitaryWalker, I really appreciate your analyses. You ought to compile a list of Philosopher's Type for ease of reference though.
    4w5 sp

  3. #23
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    The question that you seem to have in mind is the following; would a person who is competent at solving complex problems who is also athletically gifted would choose an intellectually stimulating career or one devoted to sports? That is a matter for psychologists and sociologists to investigate. Certain questions of applied typology may arise on such grounds, such as for instance, how would an INTP under a certain set of circumstances behave with regard to the problem of career choice that you have in mind?
    Well I've brought up a point that can't be answered for certain, but I think we can come to some likely conclusions. For example, let's say there is an INTP who is incredibly gifted athletically. Even if he can make money playing in the NBA, I don't think he'll ever be recorded as the greatest player the game has ever seen. Even if he has talent, he won't have the passion to make him be the best among the best. He'll see basketball as his day job, but then he'll dream of being a scientist or philopher or something. Or maybe he'll retire early and write a bunch of books about the theory behind basketball. What he won't do is spend hours and hours of his free time shooting freethrows or doing things that would help his game.

    So now apply a similar argument to Karl Marx. He had some of the most influential ideas of the modern world. A heavy focus on ideas before action is a halmark of all of the N types. This is not to suggest S's are stupid or can't think abstractly. Rather their preference is to spell out the idea after they've had some first hand experience. If Marx started a worker revolution and then wrote the Communist Manifesto, then I might actually believe that he's an S. His focus on ideas rather than action tells me he's an N.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  4. #24
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Well I've brought up a point that can't be answered for certain, but I think we can come to some likely conclusions. For example, let's say there is an INTP who is incredibly gifted athletically. Even if he can make money playing in the NBA, I don't think he'll ever be recorded as the greatest player the game has ever seen. Even if he has talent, he won't have the passion to make him be the best among the best. He'll see basketball as his day job, but then he'll dream of being a scientist or philopher or something. Or maybe he'll retire early and write a bunch of books about the theory behind basketball. What he won't do is spend hours and hours of his free time shooting freethrows or doing things that would help his game..
    That is true if the INTP has discovered his true talents. After he has done that, he certainly would have no reason to spend hours on the basketball court instead of behind the desk studying. Almost certainly he will discover his true talents, yet there is no guarantee.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    So now apply a similar argument to Karl Marx. He had some of the most influential ideas of the modern world. A heavy focus on ideas before action is a halmark of all of the N types. This is not to suggest S's are stupid or can't think abstractly. Rather their preference is to spell out the idea after they've had some first hand experience. If Marx started a worker revolution and then wrote the Communist Manifesto, then I might actually believe that he's an S. His focus on ideas rather than action tells me he's an N.
    Indeed, I have argued that Marx is an INTP earlier in this thread.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Bruce Lee was a philosopher commonly typed as ISTP, although I think he could also have been ISFP or INTX.

  6. #26
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Bruce Lee was a philosopher commonly typed as ISTP, although I think he could also have been ISFP or INTX.
    Bruce Lee was a martial artist, but no championship fighter or anything like that (I think people are biased towards him being a sensor because most ring fighters are in fact sensors). People that talked about Bruce have also at times said that Bruce thanked his speed to his intuition, not direct senses (As in he know your next move before you'd make it and responded to that). I've seen people type him as INFJ and found it to be more fitting than the more common ISTP typing. Ofcourse with actors who have many camera hours, usually develop a stage personality of sorts, making typing for introverted actors pretty hard sometimes.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  7. #27
    Senior Member Gish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    STUF
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Lots of necromancy happening as of late.

    I would say that Wittgenstein was a sensor, as well as Camus. It's hard to say though, I didn't know them personally.
    Whoops.

  8. #28
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    I think Carl Jung himself may have been an ISTP. Also, I think that Bruce Lee was pretty damn philosophical and he was ISTP as well.

  9. #29
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w438Jap2fI"]Gun totin' nascar driving jesus[/YOUTUBE]
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    I think Carl Jung himself may have been an ISTP. Also, I think that Bruce Lee was pretty damn philosophical and he was ISTP as well.
    Why was Carl Jung ISTP? He was into some really arcane topics and engaged in lots of odd magical thinking. If he was ISTP, it would be a complete redefinition of the type, meaning lots of INTPs are ISTPs!

Similar Threads

  1. Which Philosopher Do You Dislike the Most?
    By logan235711 in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 08-02-2017, 11:14 PM
  2. Philosophical personality test
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 323
    Last Post: 09-03-2013, 10:06 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Question for sensors?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 03:30 AM
  4. [ISTJ] Famous dead Sensors
    By labyrinthine in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 01:10 PM
  5. Do Sensors read faster than iNtuitives?
    By Dufresne in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 03:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO