• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Possible Sensor philosophers

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thank you for a thorough and a thought provoking response.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
SolitaryWalker, I really appreciate your analyses. You ought to compile a list of Philosopher's Type for ease of reference though.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
The question that you seem to have in mind is the following; would a person who is competent at solving complex problems who is also athletically gifted would choose an intellectually stimulating career or one devoted to sports? That is a matter for psychologists and sociologists to investigate. Certain questions of applied typology may arise on such grounds, such as for instance, how would an INTP under a certain set of circumstances behave with regard to the problem of career choice that you have in mind?

Well I've brought up a point that can't be answered for certain, but I think we can come to some likely conclusions. For example, let's say there is an INTP who is incredibly gifted athletically. Even if he can make money playing in the NBA, I don't think he'll ever be recorded as the greatest player the game has ever seen. Even if he has talent, he won't have the passion to make him be the best among the best. He'll see basketball as his day job, but then he'll dream of being a scientist or philopher or something. Or maybe he'll retire early and write a bunch of books about the theory behind basketball. What he won't do is spend hours and hours of his free time shooting freethrows or doing things that would help his game.

So now apply a similar argument to Karl Marx. He had some of the most influential ideas of the modern world. A heavy focus on ideas before action is a halmark of all of the N types. This is not to suggest S's are stupid or can't think abstractly. Rather their preference is to spell out the idea after they've had some first hand experience. If Marx started a worker revolution and then wrote the Communist Manifesto, then I might actually believe that he's an S. His focus on ideas rather than action tells me he's an N.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well I've brought up a point that can't be answered for certain, but I think we can come to some likely conclusions. For example, let's say there is an INTP who is incredibly gifted athletically. Even if he can make money playing in the NBA, I don't think he'll ever be recorded as the greatest player the game has ever seen. Even if he has talent, he won't have the passion to make him be the best among the best. He'll see basketball as his day job, but then he'll dream of being a scientist or philopher or something. Or maybe he'll retire early and write a bunch of books about the theory behind basketball. What he won't do is spend hours and hours of his free time shooting freethrows or doing things that would help his game..

That is true if the INTP has discovered his true talents. After he has done that, he certainly would have no reason to spend hours on the basketball court instead of behind the desk studying. Almost certainly he will discover his true talents, yet there is no guarantee.

So now apply a similar argument to Karl Marx. He had some of the most influential ideas of the modern world. A heavy focus on ideas before action is a halmark of all of the N types. This is not to suggest S's are stupid or can't think abstractly. Rather their preference is to spell out the idea after they've had some first hand experience. If Marx started a worker revolution and then wrote the Communist Manifesto, then I might actually believe that he's an S. His focus on ideas rather than action tells me he's an N.

Indeed, I have argued that Marx is an INTP earlier in this thread.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bruce Lee was a philosopher commonly typed as ISTP, although I think he could also have been ISFP or INTX.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bruce Lee was a philosopher commonly typed as ISTP, although I think he could also have been ISFP or INTX.

Bruce Lee was a martial artist, but no championship fighter or anything like that (I think people are biased towards him being a sensor because most ring fighters are in fact sensors). People that talked about Bruce have also at times said that Bruce thanked his speed to his intuition, not direct senses (As in he know your next move before you'd make it and responded to that). I've seen people type him as INFJ and found it to be more fitting than the more common ISTP typing. Ofcourse with actors who have many camera hours, usually develop a stage personality of sorts, making typing for introverted actors pretty hard sometimes.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Lots of necromancy happening as of late.

I would say that Wittgenstein was a sensor, as well as Camus. It's hard to say though, I didn't know them personally.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think Carl Jung himself may have been an ISTP. Also, I think that Bruce Lee was pretty damn philosophical and he was ISTP as well.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w438Jap2fI"]Gun totin' nascar driving jesus[/YOUTUBE]

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think Carl Jung himself may have been an ISTP. Also, I think that Bruce Lee was pretty damn philosophical and he was ISTP as well.

Why was Carl Jung ISTP? He was into some really arcane topics and engaged in lots of odd magical thinking. If he was ISTP, it would be a complete redefinition of the type, meaning lots of INTPs are ISTPs!

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Why was Carl Jung ISTP? He was into some really arcane topics and engaged in lots of odd magical thinking. If he was ISTP, it would be a complete redefinition of the type, meaning lots of INTPs are ISTPs!

If he was ISTP, I believe he was an ISTP with a VERY strong Ni.