User Tag List

First 12345 Last

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

They aren't "my" propositions - they are the ones assumed by the majority of theists when discussing the topic of God and prayer. It's ok that you can't justify the behavior, though, cuz you don't have to.

And it's insulting to me that you think I'm "up in arms" about religion. This is about sinning, not taking a shit on christians or other religious persons.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    They aren't "my" propositions - they are the ones assumed by the majority of theists when discussing the topic of God and prayer.
    You must know different theists than I do.

MBTI
    Hype

These 3 (not the rest of my OP):

- God exists and prescribes a world for you that you are to deal with, one way or another.

- God has given you the intellectual tools of reason and faith.

- You are to rely on the tools God has given you rather than "special treatment" from God.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    They aren't "my" propositions - they are the ones assumed by the majority of theists when discussing the topic of God and prayer. It's ok that you can't justify the behavior, though, cuz you don't have to.

And it's insulting to me that you think I'm "up in arms" about religion. This is about sinning, not taking a shit on christians or other religious persons.
    Not you too! Practicing the finely honed art and hobby of so many folks. Insulted by the drop of a statement. Real life must be tough. Imagine you must be insulted many times a day unless you stay home.

I don't see anywhere where I said you were "up in arms" about religion. Reading into a statement that you could have asked a question about before jumping to conclusions. Would have saved you at least one "insult" for your busy day. (It's also an intelligent approach to civil conversation.)

Dang! Now I'm insulted. Shall we fight for the amusement of all?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

I was always taught that since God is a part of all living things, the greatest form of prayer was kindness. Prayer was my way of communicating with my own subconscious (because based on what the Imams at the temples I went to said, this was where God resided) and mentally preparing myself for challenges, since I was told that prayer is meant to give you the strength to change your own life, not that God would fix shit if you prayed hard enough.

I was never taught to believe in Hell or sin and was actually pretty appalled when I discovered that this was a large part of mainstream Islam.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Army View Post
    I was always taught that since God is a part of all living things, the greatest form of prayer was kindness. Prayer was my way of communicating with my own subconscious (because based on what the Imams at the temples I went to said, this was where God resided)...
    This sounds to me like Sufism of one flavor or another... but I really know next to nothing about the branches of Islam.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

That's very beautiful and, I believe, can also be very Christian. Kindness is prayer in action. "If you love me, feed my sheep," etc.

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

Man, we Sufis also mostly believe that all religions are based in the same thing. It's all the same cosmic force, anyway. Call it God or the chemicals in your brain, they're all part of the same thing.

This is what happens when hippies homeschool their kids. Everything becomes very vague.

MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Army View Post
    I was always taught that since God is a part of all living things, the greatest form of prayer was kindness. Prayer was my way of communicating with my own subconscious (because based on what the Imams at the temples I went to said, this was where God resided) and mentally preparing myself for challenges, since I was told that prayer is meant to give you the strength to change your own life, not that God would fix shit if you prayed hard enough.
    This is the wise approach. What happened to the notion of being humble before the Glory of God? What happened to infinite grace?

Do you know what infinite existence of God means? It's frikkin' crazy beans, man. It means this is from God:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRVi0paZlfI&feature=related"]God presents his will to thee[/YOUTUBE]

Anything and everything in this world is God, basically, right? Why pray for change? I still don't see why you would do these things

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

Because praying helps me access the part of myself that can strive for change.

I was taught that Destiny was like a choose your own adventure book. God is the guy who wrote the book, he knows what happens when you jump to page 38 but it is ultimately the reader's choice to do so. But this is a choose your own adventure book with infinite possibilities. Which means there are infinite possibilities within myself.

Seeing as all I have is power over myself, I pray for the strength to use that power and change myself for the better.

I'm not sure where humility before God comes in here. I am humbled by all the factors I cannot control...? I'm not sure what kind of prayer you are talking about here. Could you maybe give me your exact definition of prayer and I can explain how I feel about that?