• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Darwin would be ashamed

Didums

Poll: Just 39% believe in evolution - First Read - msnbc.com

From NBC's Mark Murray
Today it's not only Abraham Lincoln's birthday; it's also Charles Darwin's.

And a brand-new Gallup poll tied to Darwin's birthday finds that just 39% of Americans believe in evolution.

As expected, Gallup notes, education plays a big role here: 74% of those with post-graduate degrees believe in evolution. That's compared with only 21% of high school grads (or those with less education) who believe in the theory.

Ditto religion: 55% who don't attend church believe in evolution, versus 24% of weekly churchgoers who believe in it.

I don't believe in Gravity. Nor Germ Theory. Nor the Theory of the Atom.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Scary... religions just shouldn't have such a power over education... We have religion education here too, but it isn't treated as an absolute truth that excludes all other explanations.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I can drop a wrench on your foot and demonstrate gravity.

Does that prove that objects pull each other according to the mass? It just proves that the wrench goes down. There could be plenty of other explanations for that (if we forget everything we have learned).

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I, honestly, don't see why people don't believe in it- it's stunning, and I find it common and practical sense for evolution to have and be taking place! I wonder what people think if they don't believe in evolution? So much of science is based around the theory of evolution, and there are facts regarding the theory. Is it those believing in Adam and Eve as the first humans that don't believe in evolution?

Didums

I can drop a wrench on your foot and demonstrate gravity. No comparable demonstration exists for evolution.

Eeek :strawman: ;) Unless you're messing, which I can't tell, so I'll link this anyways:

Evolution demonstrated with a computer program
[youtube=YZwUV-auY4w]Evolution[/youtube]

Didums

Me either. Let us spread the propaganda to all.

Yes, what we perceive as "Gravity" isn't really Gravity, rather, it is the all-encompasing nature of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, his invisible noodley appendages are all around us and pull us together.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Yes, what we perceive as "Gravity" isn't really Gravity, rather, it is the all-encompasing nature of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, his invisible noodley appendages are all around us and pull us together.

Wise anteater, you are. :vader1:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

No no no... Objects that love each other are pulled to each other. Some objects hate each other. Like the similar poles of a magnet.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Does that prove that objects pull each other according to the mass? It just proves that the wrench goes down. There could be plenty of other explanations for that (if we forget everything we have learned).

I didn't say anything about proof, I said demonstrate. I'm always as precise as possible in the words I choose. It's my contention (admittedly based on limited knowledge, since I haven't read the raw polling data) that it is likely a lot of the people polled do not "believe" in evolution because they haven't seen it demonstrated. Proof is largely irrelevant.

Oh, and I'd love to hear your other explanations for how the wrench goes down. It's been a long time since science class, so I'm a little rusty. :cheese:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dog breeds. Evolution before the eyes of our generations, under our control.

wolfy

awsm
I don't know what the heck you guys are on about but I have to go feed the dragon in my garage.