User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    You're confusing several factors here. Scientific theories cannot provide basic moral and ethical foundations, which are properly dealt with by religion and philosophy. And a proper education in any true sense of the term involves moral and ethical foundations, which teach one how to be a proper person.
    Morals are not something that have to be educated by religion. Religions do this, yes, and it is mainly ok, but then again, the reason religions shouldn't do this is because their morals are outdated and often cause more evil than good. Religions should be parted from the moral education and the education should be based on the values of today's world. There is good stuff, it just has to be filtered out from the nonsense.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The Jewish Existentialist Lev Shestov made an insightful remark on the issue:

*quote*

So which way do you choose?
    I choose the concept of objective truth, and say that you are not whatever you choose to be.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

You're confusing several factors here. Scientific theories cannot provide basic moral and ethical foundations, which are properly dealt with by religion and philosophy. And a proper education in any true sense of the term involves moral and ethical foundations, which teach one how to be a proper person.
    Fixed.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Morals are not something that have to be educated by religion. Religions do this, yes, and it is mainly ok, but then again, the reason religions shouldn't do this is because their morals are outdated and often cause more evil than good. Religions should be parted from the moral education and the education should be based on the values of today's world. There is good stuff, it just has to be filtered out from the nonsense.
    Truth does not have an expiration date. If your argument is correct, then that means your ideas will become obsolete within a few generations anyways, which begs the question why somebody should adhere to it now.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

So which way do you choose?
    I'm quite ok being an ape.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Fixed.
    Yeah, that's what I should have done in my earlier reply... smart chimp...

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Seriously people, if you can't believe in naturally developed patterns, than the entire world is made of magic. It hardly stops with lifeforms.
    The whole world is magic. Just believe. Like kittens and rainbows. Awww

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Dropping a wrench on a foot to demonstrate gravity is not a valid comparison to evolution.
    Absolutely. Which was my point. Saying you don't believe in gravity has no relation to the poll you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Oh... ok. I see what you mean now...

I didn't actually mean any "real" scientific explanations. I meant that if we choose not to believe in some theories and replace them with some other less likely ideas, then we can make anything seem logical from the viewpoint we have chosen to take. The wrench may go down because god wants it go down. God might pull invisible strings that take things down and if he chooses, he will make everything go up... I haven't seen anything to point that this is absolutely impossible, so if I wish to believe in it, I can...
    Totally understandable. And I agree with you. Personally, I don't spend time trying to limit people's freedom to believe what they wish.

Seriously people, if you can't believe in naturally developed patterns, than the entire world is made of magic. It hardly stops with lifeforms.
    I am pretty sure that I believe in naturally developed patterns, but I wholeheartedly believe that the entire world is made of magic.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    The whole world is magic. Just believe. Like kittens and rainbows. Awww

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Absolutely. Which was my point. Saying you don't believe in gravity has no relation to the poll you posted.
    They are both Scientific Theories. I was refering to your method of verification.

Sniffles

I choose the concept of objective truth, and say that you are not whatever you choose to be.
    Ahhh spoken like a true NT. In actuality, truth is subjectivity. Very often what you believe does determine much about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Fixed. Miscontrued
    Fixed.