User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Dog breeds. Evolution before the eyes of our generations, under our control.
    Yes, but some what forced, and some what negated by the heavy hand of human manipulation.
    A better example is the evolution of antibiotic resistant bacteria.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    that's not a strawman
    My bad, it's this:

Inconsistent comparison: where different methods of comparison are used, leaving one with a false inpression of the whole comparison
    Dropping a wrench on a foot to demonstrate gravity is not a valid comparison to evolution.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Why? Don't you think education should be based on the theories that are most likely true?
    You're confusing several factors here. Scientific theories cannot provide basic moral and ethical foundations, which are properly dealt with by religion and philosophy. And a proper education in any true sense of the term involves moral and ethical foundations, which teach one how to be a proper person.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I didn't say anything about proof, I said demonstrate.
    Oh... ok. I see what you mean now...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Oh, and I'd love to hear your other explanations for how the wrench goes down. It's been a long time since science class, so I'm a little rusty.
    I didn't actually mean any "real" scientific explanations. I meant that if we choose not to believe in some theories and replace them with some other less likely ideas, then we can make anything seem logical from the viewpoint we have chosen to take. The wrench may go down because god wants it go down. God might pull invisible strings that take things down and if he chooses, he will make everything go up... I haven't seen anything to point that this is absolutely impossible, so if I wish to believe in it, I can...

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Darwin would be ashamed
    Darwin probably wouldn't care. I read in an article today that Darwin's findings weren't considered terribly interesting the year he presented them. He also waited several years to release his findings, because he was worried about how they'd be received.

I don't believe in Gravity.
    Well it doesn't behave quite like the other three fundamental forces. It may be that gravity doesn't exist. After all no graviton has been discovered.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I don't know what the heck you guys are on about but I have to go feed the dragon in my garage.
    Pssshhh... Unless you have a unicorn as well, I'm going to have to report you to big brother.

Sniffles

The Jewish Existentialist Lev Shestov made an insightful remark on the issue:
    "If one had proven to the Apostle with all the required evidence, like "two times two makes four," that man is descended from the ape, neither proofs nor evidence would have convinced him. He would perhaps have repeated Dostoevsky's words, "but what does it matter to me?" Probably, however, he would have recalled the Bible: "...as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee." In other words, if you believe that you are of God, you are of God; if you believe that you come from an ape, you come from an ape: "the righteous shall live by faith.""

Lev Shestov - Athens and Jerusalem - Part III,8
    So which way do you choose?

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    The Jewish Existentialist Lev Shestov made an insightful remark on the issue:
    Everyone knows religious people are righteous.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    Yes, but some what forced, and some what negated by the heavy hand of human manipulation.
    A better example is the evolution of antibiotic resistant bacteria.
    Yes, but, if a person isn't being deliberately resistant to the possibility of evolution (but then, who doubts that isn't?) than the dog breeds are good enough.

They already prove, beyond a doubt, that the entire biological process is possible. Once we know that it can physically happen, it's not hard to imagne how natural patterns can form.

Seriously people, if you can't believe in naturally developed patterns, than the entire world is made of magic. It hardly stops with lifeforms.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

According to Gallup 44% of people don't know what theory Darwin is associated with.