User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Poll: Just 39% believe in evolution - First Read - msnbc.com

I don't believe in Gravity. Nor Germ Theory. Nor the Theory of the Atom.
    i would guess that darwin wouldn't care much for a gallup poll. he would be too busy exploring life forms at the bottom of the ocean - the new frontier - anyway ...
    INTP/5w4 sx

I will be provocative and say that evolution is not something you believe in.
    It is true or it is false there is no third option. Plus evolution is not religion.

Since I am someone that can be placed in category evil evolutionist this data is nothing really new to me.

What if find interesting is that there are two evolutions and people only pay attention to one of them. First one is evolution of life and another less famous is evolution of the planet.

The fact that North America and South America have so large and high mountains on their western parts is not something that is unexplained. Or the fact that southern Europe is build mostly by the limestone is not nearly as coincidance as it could look like.
    Etc.

One member asked me to explain this in not too much detail and I will do that in not too far future.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    You get an A+ in sophistry.
    There are plenty of people that believe in science. They're not religious. The two are hardly synonymous with each other. In fact, that's the point of the OP. Regardless of what is being taught, polls show religious people are more likely to choose the fictional idea, than an explanation of logic.

As for historically noted (religious) scientists... How many were genuinely adherents? Many are born into a religion. It doesn't mean that carried over into adult life.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    There is your religion: nothing.
    Agreed.

Science does prove the physical nature of our world. Evidence is real and tangible, with consistent results. Religion, requires one to just 'believe'. No proof whatsoever.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Science does prove the physical nature of our world. Evidence is real and tangible, with consistent results. Religion, requires one to just 'believe'. No proof whatsoever.
    I take it you can't delved too deeply into quantum physics.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I take it you can't delved too deeply into quantum physics.
    I was under the impression the thread is regarding objective data vs religion. Not a semantics quibble.

I actually think I recall this "idea" from my earliest Sunday School coloring sessions in Texas.

/sigh
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Darwin would be flattered at how popular the theory of evolution has become. Rednecks might not believe it (but does evolution really apply to them?), but in the science world, it's a mainstay. And the theory is only going to get more popular.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

1. yes we do know! the reality we live in, IS the reality we experience. Even if there was some matrix or Cartesian demon, if we could never cross over to the "TRUE" reality, then this reality would for all intensive purposes BE our experiences. No need to "question reality".
    I am not a very religious person, but even from a scientist's perspective, you should eliminate any possibility, right? Not questioning reality is taking everything at surface value. Assuming that everything you see is all there is is making a very dangerous assumption.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I am not a very religious person, but even from a scientist's perspective, you should eliminate any possibility, right? Not questioning reality is taking everything at surface value. Assuming that everything you see is all there is is making a very dangerous assumption.
    my point is not that there cannot possibly be another reality. my point is that unless you have some other reality to postulate, then statements about this not being the "true" reality are effectively meaningless. If you think we live in the matrix, then there are agents to be found and machines that originate in the "real" world. Those elements are important because they differentiate the two realities. If your alternate world theory lacks these postulated differences, then you really haven't postulated a reality that is any different than our own.

Sniffles

modern day 'reform' Judaism is practically a secular religion... (they make no comment on eschatology, they dont follow all of their own rules anymore, God is now all of the sudden not an asshole, even though they stopped making sacrifices...etc)
    And that addresses Shestov's argument how exactly?

you know what your problem is?
    Yeah, I actually take time to read your posts. I really should stop doing that.