• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the definition of life?

Qre:us

I guess we can go into the 'meaning of life', but, I'm trying to gauge a more basic question (thus, applicable to all living things, not just humans). What is an universal definition of life? When is life, life? What properties should be inherent to classify X as being alive?

{there is no one agreed-upon definition as of yet, btw}

PS - I think this was posted in the wrong section, more applicable to the Science & Tech, or Philosophy? I'll let the admins decide.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Philosophy. ;)

I tend to see a difference between things that have experience, and things that don't. A creature does, a chair does not.

:)Thanks, Mr. Gentle-wet-drops-on-a-bamboo-stick. So many dirty jokes (must refrain).

It begs the question then: what constitutes experience? Should the experience be experienced (consciously logged)?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:)Thanks, Mr. Gentle-wet-drops-on-a-bamboo-stick. So many dirty jokes (must refrain).

It begs the question then: what constitutes experience? Should the experience be experienced (consciously logged)?

That's getting more into sentience as a characteristic of life, isn't it..?
Plants cannot, to our knowledge, perceive or feel things subjectively.. however we acknowledge them as life forms...

That's getting more into sentience as a characteristic of life, isn't it..?
Plants cannot, to our knowledge, perceive or feel things subjectively.. however we acknowledge them as life forms...

Yeah, sentience have been a big issue in this debate. Esp. when applied to fetus and the definiton of life. I agree though that sentience is not necessary to define life.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

I've never been a bacteria (thought women have called me a parasite at times) but I imagine they don't have experience. Experience/consciousness is a magical thing that happens with the help of a brain. It's the picture you're looking at right now, and the sound of sounds you hear.

Your second question is really about convention, since you're asking about what a word means. You can say consciousness is a requirement, but I think the way the concept of "life" is usually understood, awareness of experience is not a requirement. If it was, you would end up saying that a dog does not qualify as being alive (possessing life) and that sounds strange.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Using the above list, a question: Are viruses alive?

I'm not sure. Generally they aren't classed as organisms because they lack cell membranes.. don't metabolize, etc... it's debated in the world of microbiology as far as I know. I'm outta my element, here. <---Not a science major.. :D

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Esp. when applied to fetus and the definiton of life.

It's interesting. I think the people who get engrossed in the "when does life begin" debate are really missing the point. Definitions are created by convention, so you can never beat another person. The question is really how to treat a creature that is at a certain age, not how to define it. It's kinda funny, actually, that people need to categorize things into a protectable class before saying it has rights and values. :)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never been a bacteria (thought women have called me a parasite at times) but I imagine they don't have experience. Experience/consciousness is a magical thing that happens with the help of a brain. It's the picture you're looking at right now, and the sound of sounds you hear.

Your second question is really about convention, since you're asking about what a word means. You can say consciousness is a requirement, but I think the way the concept of "life" is usually understood, awareness of experience is not a requirement. If it was, you would end up saying that a dog does not qualify as being alive (possessing life) and that sounds strange.

pfffft. Dogs aren't alive.
They're totally artificial.

I'm not sure. Generally they aren't classed as organisms because they lack cell membranes.. don't metabolize, etc...

They don't metabolize, but, they 'use material and metabolism' of their host.

it's debated in the world of microbiology as far as I know. I'm outta my element, here. <---Not a science major.. :D

Fake it like you can make it. :D

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They don't metabolize, but, they 'use material and metabolism' of their host.

Fake it like you can make it. :D

I don't believe in faking it.
:whistling:

The question is really how to treat a creature that is at a certain age, not how to define it. It's kinda funny, actually, that people need to categorize things into a protectable class before saying it has rights and values. :)

But, the 'certain age' criteria will have to fall back into a particular categorization of age, no? And justification of why. And, thus, what is the beginning - when does age 0 start? And, if categorized as age 0, does that inherently assume it to be 'alive' from then on? We can't help but fall prey to the traps & limits of categorization.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Intriquing question and I won't attempt to answer it from an INFP perspective. But I have a comment.

I heard this week on the radio that a physician performing an abortion had delivered a living embryo and had disposed of it in the trash where it was discovered much to people's outrage.

There is so much irony in this announcement that I don't know where to begin. The news labled it a "living baby."

I thought, "When are we going to make up our minds?"

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Intriquing question and I won't attempt to answer it from an INFP perspective. But I have a comment.

I heard this week on the radio that a physician performing an abortion had delivered a living embryo and had disposed of it in the trash where it was discovered much to people's outrage.

There is so much irony in this announcement that I don't know where to begin. The news labled it a "living baby."

I thought, "When are we going to make up our minds?"

I have to ask... out of sheer dumb, morbid curiousity...
was it.. like.. moving around.. in the trash can??