User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Lightbulb Optimism vs. Pessimism

Just curious to see if there’s a correlation between MBTI type and outlook on life that could be defined by ‘optimism vs pessimism’. Also, if within the school there are small differences that could be influenced by type e.g for self-described optimists, do you think the world is inherently a good place or that it is more important to perceive it as such (regardless of what it is in actuality)? Which type would you describe as the most optimistic and which the most pessimistic?

I’m particularly interested to hear the NT response as an example formal logic (as opposed to emotional logic) in such a subjective area
    Chivalry is only a name for that general spirit or state of mind which disposes men to heroic actions, and keeps them conversant with all that is beautiful and sublime in the intellectual and moral world
    - Kenelm Henry Digby

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
    I’m particularly interested to hear the NT response as an example formal logic (as opposed to emotional logic) in such a subjective area
    The world is neither good or bad. It's entirely subjective depending on your values and perspective.

That said, I describe myself as an idealistic pessimist. That sorta balances out to a realist, but not quite.

I can envision both negative outcomes and positive outcomes. The positive paths I envision tend to be more naive, less tied down to reality, while the pessimistic ones are more realistic. I tend to believe the negative ones will come to pass, while I maintain hope that the positive ones will come to pass. However, that doesn't mean that I dread or fear the negative outcomes. I'm pretty neutral to any outcome really. Whatever happens happens. I don't dwell on the past, or even the present, I'm continually looking forward.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    The world is neither good or bad. It's entirely subjective depending on your values and perspective.

That said, I describe myself as an idealistic pessimist. That sorta balances out to a realist, but not quite.

I can envision both negative outcomes and positive outcomes. The positive paths I envision tend to be more naive, less tied down to reality, while the pessimistic ones are more realistic. I tend to believe the negative ones will come to pass, while I maintain hope that the positive ones will come to pass.
    Love the edit! Feared the thread was dead before it hit the ground

That's the sort of objective pessimism I was after! Do you think thats pretty common (in your experience) with INTps? Also, do you think that expecting the worst in the majority of situations can leave you feeling depressed?
    Chivalry is only a name for that general spirit or state of mind which disposes men to heroic actions, and keeps them conversant with all that is beautiful and sublime in the intellectual and moral world
    - Kenelm Henry Digby

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Love the edit! Feared the thread was dead before it hit the ground

That's the sort of objective pessimism I was after! Do you think thats pretty common (in your experience) with INTps? Also, do you think that expecting the worst in the majority of situations can leave you feeling depressed?
    I did a double edit (actually, more like quintuple), that ended up ninja-ing you! I think the quoted version is the third iteration...

Anyway, to bolded part: Not really sure. I don't (think) I know any other INTPs in real life. I recall there being a thread on INTPc about this. Some people expressed similar sentiments to mine.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    I did a double edit (actually, more like quintuple), that ended up ninja-ing you! I think the quoted version is the third iteration...

Anyway, to bolded part: Not really sure. I don't (think) I know any other INTPs in real life. I recall there being a thread on INTPc about this. Some people expressed similar sentiments to mine.
    Curse your ninja-ing ways!
    You have revealed me as the the embodiment of foolishness
    :chicken:

I'd say you guys are fairly 'critical', though I say it in a good way. Rejection of new opportunities is pessimism in action, but I'm an optimist about pessimism, and can see it has its uses Pessimism weilds the righteous axe of reality with which to cut expectation down to size!

Pessimism - A necessary evil!

And now you know...
    - Kenelm Henry Digby

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm probably a pessimist. Mostly because I see optimism as giving into this: "It was of course the gods' old trick; blow the bubble up big before you prick it." Essentially, if you allow yourself to hope too much, life has way of bursting your bubble. If you don't hope for much, though... you're less likely to have your bubble burst.

I would think that the most optimistic type would be ENFP, and the most pessimistic type would be ISTJ.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Just curious to see if there’s a correlation between MBTI type and outlook on life that could be defined by ‘optimism vs pessimism’. Also, if within the school there are small differences that could be influenced by type e.g for self-described optimists, do you think the world is inherently a good place or that it is more important to perceive it as such (regardless of what it is in actuality)? Which type would you describe as the most optimistic and which the most pessimistic?
    I consider myself an optimist by nature. I went through a bitter, disillusioned period where I considered myself a 'realist', where realism = optimism + healthy cynicism. Thankfully, I've outgrown that.

I was able to regain my optimism when I started to consider the world a neutral place, neither bad nor good, and that I had the ability to make it better.

I don't think that any type is more prone towards optimism or pessimism than any other, but some types are pretty good at hiding pessimism.

MBTI
    INTP

I am an optimistic realist (or try to be). Where living life without regrets is my ultimate goal, and allowing myself to become delusional of future outcomes is my deepest concern. Where most people use "hope" I use "logic". I see a goal that is desirable, as well as obtainable, and I go for it letting nothing get in my way; I am not "hoping" for it, i am making it happen.

Those that are pessimistic are the ones with a weak mind and heart; they let others push them around, tell them what to do, what to think, and how to act... where they "live" a life that is not their own and in a sad way "death" has already claimed them. Sounds cruel? Maybe, but it is the truth... You either go out there and live your life or you go out there wishing you were already dead.

Those that use hope over logic, destroy the means by which to know how to acquire their goals. Sure, sometimes you can get lucky, and something "good" will happen, and it will either be because of "true love" or "god" or some other whimsical fancy of theirs that has no base in reality... but more than not it just leads to disappointment and or a deranged mentality where one has learned how to "go inside of themselves" to forget about the reality of the present hell that their "hopes" placed them in.

Sniffles

I maintain hope, which is neither optimistic nor pessimistic.

MBTI
    ENTP

I am an optimistic person, but I remain anchored in logic.

Ne > Ni > Ti > Fi > Te> Fe > Se > Si