• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Optimism vs. Pessimism

Alpha Prime

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
XXXX
No its not. I am saying that if your statement is true about reality, than that is the condition of reality that determines "realism".

Yeah that.

For example, if the statement that says "you cant have a map that is 100% accurate" is true, than that would be the condition of reality(in that context), and "realism" would be understanding/knowing this condition and basing your actions off of it.

Indeed. In this case uncertainty is inherently embedded in the predictions. So it all falls back on this: There are only bad/good approximations. If one looses track of that keyword, then "realism" becomes an illusion.

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
The world is neither good or bad. It's entirely subjective depending on your values and perspective.

That said, I describe myself as an idealistic pessimist. That sorta balances out to a realist, but not quite.

I can envision both negative outcomes and positive outcomes. The positive paths I envision tend to be more naive, less tied down to reality, while the pessimistic ones are more realistic. I tend to believe the negative ones will come to pass, while I maintain hope that the positive ones will come to pass. However, that doesn't mean that I dread or fear the negative outcomes. I'm pretty neutral to any outcome really. Whatever happens happens. I don't dwell on the past, or even the present, I'm continually looking forward.

I know I'm not INTP, but that definitely sounds like my opinion. Part of me hopes, and sort of expects (see my belief in a sort of fate) that the optimistic ideas will come to pass, but I regard the pessimistic point of view as more realistic.
In another way though, if something happens that I didn't originally want to happen, I'm rather stoic about it and think maybe that it's for the better, for all I know. Maybe without that horrible occurrence/different occurrence my life would have gone in another direction which might have been bad (it might have made no difference, but, whatever.) :cool: It's a view that has allowed me to overcome situations that might have broken others, so I'm fond of it.
Pessimists are definitely the realists of our world. I read an article saying we need them!

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why do pessimists assume you have to be a 'pessimist' or 'realist' in order to see the negative outcomes? I can clearly see potential downfalls and while they aren’t ignored I chose to focus on the desired, positive outcome and find a way to make that reality. Kinda like when you’re driving a car, you end up where you’re looking so if you’re focusing in the wrong place you'll drift off the road, concentrate on the negative and all you’ll do is reaffirm your negative view as that’ll be all you’ll be able to see.

I can envision both negative outcomes and positive outcomes. The positive paths I envision tend to be more naive, less tied down to reality, while the pessimistic ones are more realistic. I tend to believe the negative ones will come to pass, while I maintain hope that the positive ones will come to pass.

Doesn’t matter what you hope for if you believe the negative will come to pass it probably will. You tend to get what you expect in life.

The Winner
If you think you are beaten, you are
if you think you dare not, you don't
if you'd like to win, but you think you can't,
it's almost a cinch you won't

If you think you'll lose, you've lost
for out in the world you find
success begins with a person's will
It's all in the state of the mind

If you think you're outclassed, you are
you've got to think high to rise
you've got to be sure of yourself