User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENTJ

This basically means if you're not exposed to something to know it exists, it essentially doesn't exist to you. I don't think you can necessarily fault a person because of their lack of exposure to things.
    I agree with this, I think. There's a difference between ignorance and stupidity*. One's personal values are going to contribute towards ignorance levels (some people are more naturally curious than others) as are one's circumstances (internet access, access to travel, education etc.). Ignorance doesn't, on it's own, bother me. We're all ignorant to some degree or another. Of many things.

Kind of related to what CzeCze was saying - there is a definite tendency to immediately label the opinions and beliefs of others as stupidity, if they don't agree with your own opinions and beliefs. One of the most obvious examples of this is US politics. Both sides have large factions that are completely convinced that those on the other side believe what they believe because they're *stupid*. This is, imo, a harmful thing. It cancels out meaningful discussion. But this is probably slightly O/T.

Btw, CzeCze, I love your quote.

EDIT:

*I have examples! From my real life!

Ignorance = "I have never been to Japan, know nothing about Japanese cuisine and have never tried sushi"

Stupidity = "Sushi is wrapped in grape leaves" (this coming from a 45 yr. old world traveling PhD who has been to Japan 3 times, loves sushi, and lives in an international-calibre city). HOW CAN YOU THINK SUSHI IS WRAPPED IN GRAPE LEAVES YOU TOTAL IDIOT?!! OK, maybe this is just me being a worked-up, spazzy ENTJ but oh boy I wanted to slap him.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    EDIT:

*I have examples! From my real life!

Ignorance = "I have never been to Japan, know nothing about Japanese cuisine and have never tried sushi"

Stupidity = "Sushi is wrapped in grape leaves" (this coming from a 45 yr. old world traveling PhD who has been to Japan 3 times, loves sushi, and lives in an international-calibre city). HOW CAN YOU THINK SUSHI IS WRAPPED IN GRAPE LEAVES YOU TOTAL IDIOT?!! OK, maybe this is just me being a worked-up, spazzy ENTJ but oh boy I wanted to slap him.
    LOLOLOL, omg, he's thinking about greek dolma HAHAHAH or else he's thinking about rice wrapped in shisho (mint) leaves.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I don't get it.

(Come on, you knew I was gonna say that!)
    LMAO!

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Why would a human being be responsible for his or her own ignorance? I think that is a very dangerous avenue to go down - what, are colorblind people responsible for not seeing reds vs browns? And no they AREN'T all that different if you realize a truly IGNORANT person has no clue or motivation of how to get out of ignorance to begin with. A colorblind person isn't responsible for inventing the technology or uncovering the science behind color generation to fix his/her ailment, either.... both are absurd!

The only logical direction of "responsibility" in this case is the government. Awareness campagins/education incentives, or there lack therof, is what we need to critque to solve the problems you address, my good MotherGoose!