User Tag List

First 1234 Last

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Hopefully the guy will outgrow it, Brendan. When you grow up being taught that kind of stuff it can take awhile to get past it and figure out how to function within the broader population. Some people never do.

Personally, even though I still identify on a doctrinal level with evangelicalism, I don't believe the rest of the world should be forced to pretend like they are evangelicals for my comfort and convenience, nor should they be denied property or other rights. I also think that God is plenty big enough to handle his interactions with other people without my intervention and I just cannot be bothered to be judging and rejecting perfectly wonderful people based on what they do with consenting adult partners in a private situation that isn't harming anyone else (though I admit adultery gets to me because it does usually hurt other people) when so many of the "righteous" are so nasty and unkind, etc that I can't stand them.

I hate the double standard that what you do with your ding-a-ling (or somebody else's) is a such a huge deal that it overrides what you do with every other part of your mind and body.
    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Amen
    Seconded.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Hopefully the guy will outgrow it, Brendan. When you grow up being taught that kind of stuff it can take awhile to get past it and figure out how to function within the broader population. Some people never do.

Personally, even though I still identify on a doctrinal level with evangelicalism, I don't believe the rest of the world should be forced to pretend like they are evangelicals for my comfort and convenience, nor should they be denied property or other rights. I also think that God is plenty big enough to handle his interactions with other people without my intervention and I just cannot be bothered to be judging and rejecting perfectly wonderful people based on what they do with consenting adult partners in a private situation that isn't harming anyone else (though I admit adultery gets to me because it does usually hurt other people) when so many of the "righteous" are so nasty and unkind, etc that I can't stand them.

I hate the double standard that what you do with your ding-a-ling (or somebody else's) is a such a huge deal that it overrides what you do with every other part of your mind and body.
    Thank you! This is exactly what I was trying to get across. I don't care if someone doesn't like what I do, I don't care if they don't like me, but that doesn't make it okay to treat me like a second class citizen.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    You created a facebook group to intentionally get under peoples' skin?
    No, though I do believe that people who are uncomfortable with other people's sexuality and like to bash it as immoral or this, that and the other thing are either projecting or trying to will themselves out of their own confusion when it comes to themselves. Kind of like how Mark Foley was extremely vocal in his belief that pedophilia ought to be harshley punished.
    If that was not the intention what was?
    The same purpose as the group called "Dear Pennsylvania, Get The Fuck Out Of The Left Lane. Love, New Jersey." Or the group called "Against Gay Marriage? Then Don't Get One And Shut The Fuck Up." Or for that matter, the group called, "Abolish Don't Ask Don't Tell. Ask Them And Don't Let Them Join." It was about bringing together like-minded people for both light and heavy-hearted discussion or just joking around. Hell the same could be said about the group called, "Neville Longbottom is a BAMF."
    What kind of reaction were you expecting/hoping from the members of this board?
    Of this board? Well knowing and being familiar with the major people here, I expected most people would be sympathetic or bring up other points that I could potentially use next time something like this happens, which I know it will, because there's always someone else to hate you.

As for the group on facebook, I expected people who didn't agree with the statement not to join.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Apparently Sean thinks it's appropriate to display the chain of messages to everyone who will pay attention. I have no way of knowing wether or not he's changed any part of the messages.

He's going to be at a going away party that I'll also be at. I swear to God if he says the wrong thing, I'm punching him straight in the face.

MBTI
    INTP

Just accuse him of usurping God's rightful place. It's not his place to judge you, nor to carry out any particular sentence. Tell him to be careful of throwing first stones, he'll like that. But most important:

IT IS NOT HIS OR ANYONE'S PLACE TO STOP YOU FROM SINNING. Any effort to force you into "goodness" is robbing you of your God Given free will.

I just wonder when people are going to make the leap that Sodom and Gomorrah's big sin was not in what they were doing, but how. Their crime of lust and exploitation was carried out in hetero just as much (probably more) as homo.

Biggest missed point in the whole damn Bible, IMO.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
    IT IS NOT HIS OR ANYONE'S PLACE TO STOP YOU FROM SINNING. Any effort to force you into "goodness" is robbing you of your God Given free will.
    That is where I fall as well.

Even if one is an evangelical Christian, the precedent is there, in black and white:

God purposefully gave people choices, even though he knew that some would make the "wrong" one. If that was Good Enough and Important Enough for God to do, why can't we do the same?

I just wonder when people are going to make the leap that Sodom and Gomorrah's big sin was not in what they were doing, but how. Their crime of lust and exploitation was carried out in hetero just as much (probably more) as homo.
    It's spelled out in the New Testament (inhospitality as the sin of S&G) ... and if you read the narrative, the act that was being considered against the two visitors was not really "homosexual sex" but "gang rape." It was an extreme and embarrassing act of violence being perpetrated against visitors who were supposed to be receiving the grace of their host, as guests.

Still, Brendan, it sounds to me like you have a chip on your shoulder against this person. Is it worth all of this conflict to the point of physical violence? Why let this experience shape you like that?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That is where I fall as well.

Even if one is an evangelical Christian, the precedent is there, in black and white:

God purposefully gave people choices, even though he knew that some would make the "wrong" one. If that was Good Enough and Important Enough for God to do, why can't we do the same?
    The implications of this to the criminal justice system are profound. By that reasoning, all victimless crimes (such as prostitution, doing or selling recreational drugs, polygamy, and so on) should be legal.

That's a pretty libertarian stance you've got going there, Jen. I'm glad you're seeing things this way.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    The implications of this to the criminal justice system are profound. By that reasoning, all victimless crimes (such as prostitution, doing or selling recreational drugs, polygamy, and so on) should be legal.

That's a pretty libertarian stance you've got going there, Jen. I'm glad you're seeing things this way.
    Give unto Caesar and all that. That's the realm of law, not of the church.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    :horor:

I summarily retract every bit of insanity I uttered.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Give unto Caesar and all that. That's the realm of law, not of the church.
    ...but Jen agreed with NoahFence's assertion that "IT IS NOT HIS OR ANYONE'S PLACE TO STOP YOU FROM SINNING."

"Anyone" includes government, does it not?