User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 25

  1. #11
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    Well, it kind of is, really.

    It brings up the issue of whether or not the majority should be allowed to dominate our social customs.
    Allowed by who? The law? I'd like the state to stay out of religion.

  2. #12
    ByMySword
    Guest

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Allowed by who? The law? I'd like the state to stay out of religion.
    I'm not just talking about the law.

    I'm talking about the influence the majority should have on society as a whole.

    This includes legal foundation as well as social norms.

    I know its a broad issue, but it seems to effect all the decisions made in this country, whether official or unofficial.

    Its just something I've noticed often contradicts itself sometimes, and I was wondering if anyone else noticed the same thing.

  3. #13
    Senior Member paisley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE None
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Of course. I think it's stupid that people can't say merry christmas to each other, as though for some reason they've now committed themselves to an inconsistent worldview. Retarded. I could say happy holidays, in the summer, and it would make more sense than during the Christmas season. It's just an afront, and making an individualistic stance against Christmas, I often feel like saying, "Bah Humbug" to these people. hahaha. Clashing cultural and metaphysical worldviews often leads to this sort of anti-movement mentality. Those people who have to be politically correct about everything to the point of ruining everything.
    "Truth stands true, independent of whether you agree with it or not."

    "Don't let what matters least, matter most."

    Extroverted (E) 50% Introverted (I) 50%
    Intuitive (N) 62.5% Sensing (S) 37.5%
    Feeling (F) 51.61% Thinking (T) 48.39%
    Judging (J) 51.52% Perceiving (P) 48.48%
    8w9 EIE

  4. #14
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paisley1 View Post
    Of course. I think it's stupid that people can't say merry christmas to each other, as though for some reason they've now committed themselves to an inconsistent worldview. Retarded. I could say happy holidays, in the summer, and it would make more sense than during the Christmas season. It's just an afront, and making an individualistic stance against Christmas, I often feel like saying, "Bah Humbug" to these people. hahaha. Clashing cultural and metaphysical worldviews often leads to this sort of anti-movement mentality. Those people who have to be politically correct about everything to the point of ruining everything.
    Why would you want to say "Merry Christmas" to a non-Christian in the first place?

  5. #15
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Why would you want to say "Merry Christmas" to a non-Christian in the first place?
    I think Paisley1 is talking about wishing random strangers in a locale that is overwhelming Christian or culturally Christian "Merry Christmas" as both a polite gesture and to immerse oneself in the "spirit" of the holiday.

  6. #16
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    When forming a country and writing the laws, there is no better way to secure the rights of the masses than majority rule. The only other option, is minority rule.
    The best way to secure the rights (not necessarily the desires) of the masses (as well as minorities) is through constitutionally protected rights, limitations on government powers, and the rule of law. Majority rule is but a (necessary) means to an end, not an end in itself.

  7. #17
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    The best way to secure the rights (not necessarily the desires) of the masses (as well as minorities) is through constitutionally protected rights, limitations on government powers, and the rule of law. Majority rule is but a (necessary) means to an end, not an end in itself.
    Who should get the power to write the Constitution of a new country? There's no way to get around democracy and majority rule being the best option.

  8. #18
    Senior Member paisley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE None
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Actually I was talking about a non-christian being indifferent to the faith and immersing oneself in the spirit of the holiday anyway because it's so prevalent, instead of feeling like they've committed some sort of apostasy when saying "Merry Christmas" even to other non-christians. I'd rather they not said anything and act like it's any other sesason. Saying happy holidays during Christmas is just like saying happy fasting during Ramadan. Both religions think, "What do you mean, are you trying to dilute my faith?" That's the whole point of it.
    "Truth stands true, independent of whether you agree with it or not."

    "Don't let what matters least, matter most."

    Extroverted (E) 50% Introverted (I) 50%
    Intuitive (N) 62.5% Sensing (S) 37.5%
    Feeling (F) 51.61% Thinking (T) 48.39%
    Judging (J) 51.52% Perceiving (P) 48.48%
    8w9 EIE

  9. #19
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Who should get the power to write the Constitution of a new country? There's no way to get around democracy and majority rule being the best option.
    I was positing what I think is the best way to optimize the rights of all people in a country, not whether such optimization is possible or appropriate for any time and place-enabling conditions must be present, or its unlikely to last. Majority rule is necessary and has greater utilitarian benifit than other political systems, but is sub-optimal by itself.

  10. #20
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paisley1 View Post
    Actually I was talking about a non-christian being indifferent to the faith and immersing oneself in the spirit of the holiday anyway because it's so prevalent, instead of feeling like they've committed some sort of apostasy when saying "Merry Christmas" even to other non-christians. I'd rather they not said anything and act like it's any other sesason. Saying happy holidays during Christmas is just like saying happy fasting during Ramadan. Both religions think, "What do you mean, are you trying to dilute my faith?" That's the whole point of it.
    Lets say you're a Christian and you live in a predominately Muslim area. Would you be okay with praising and recognizing Allah? Would you like other people expecting you to praise and recognize Allah?

Similar Threads

  1. Gun Laws and the Fools of Chelm
    By SD45T-2 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 09:45 PM
  2. The Role of Shadow Functions in MBTi Type
    By MerkW in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-03-2010, 11:26 PM
  3. The idea of Art and Artistry?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
  4. Typical Work and Social roles of the types
    By BlackCat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 10:08 PM
  5. [NT] NTs and the role in economy, law and politics
    By Lexlike in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 10:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO