User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Is it pointless to believe in God?
    To those who believe it gives them a sense of purpose and understanding.
    To those who disbelieve it is pointless, hence their disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    What I am saying is that God could or could not exist but the real question is actually "Do we really need him/her/it and everything he/she/it has to offer?"
    One can live a "moral" life without a belief in God. Therefore, if God is truly benevolent, a moral atheist/theist that does not believe in that specific God should still be accepted into heaven. This is making the assumption that morality is not derivative of God/belief in him, however it is not much of an assumption when one thinks of the Euthyphro dilemma.

MBTI
    INFP

In my spirituality the words "belief" and "God" have no place in the same sentence. It's not a matter of belief at all.

Belief is a function of the brain. Faith is a function of the heart and hands.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

There are too many paradoxes that come up in my mind when I think about the idea of an all powerful being.
    I can't really see myself as being a believer in any religion that believes in an all powerful god.
    And the whole, no proof thing, sort of makes me question the idea of god in the first place.

Therefore I stick to philosophy, and being a good person. Following gut and ideals.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    ISTx

To me personally, I feel it's pointless. Some would argue but I don't believe you should adopt a creed when you don't have concrete proof/evidence to support what you believe. There's too many theories and possibilities to adhere to one belief system (or any at all).

However, if you're comfortable in your faith and it gives you meaning to life, good on you. You might lead a more purpose driven life than some. Whether it's in vain or not... that is the question. I can't answer it, therefore I'm not comfortable adopting a religion/faith.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I think there is a point. That point to me is that something must have made everything...
    Is it possible our answers are not within the realm of our mind's capacity? Why is it God? What is God? How can we ever know who/what it is if we can't answer question number 1?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

For some people, belief in God is what holds them together, and without that belief, they couldn't cope with life. But, this seems like a quick fix and a masking of their problems, in the same way that heroin addicts use to escape their problems.

So, for many, belief is clearly worthwhile, but for others, the absolute need to believe is representative of deeper psychological issues.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    For some people, belief in God is what holds them together, and without that belief, they couldn't cope with life. But, this seems like a quick fix and a masking of their problems, in the same way that heroin addicts use to escape their problems.

So, for many, belief is clearly worthwhile, but for others, the absolute need to believe is representative of deeper psychological issues.
    This is so true. A misuse of the concept of spirituality. Just as a misuse of the concept of altered mood. It cripples rather than strengthens. Actually the search is the same - an attempt to fill what is missing in one's spirit. Maybe even a failure to recognize one's spirit. Or the hole.

I can and have coped with life without anything but my belief in myself. But turns out that the world has a way of teaching us that we aren't invulnerable to everything life has to deal out.

Some cope just fine this way. They grow a shell fifty feet thick and hang in. Who knows whether they are happy or at peace with themselves. I hope so.

I just wanted more out of my life than coping. And that way left me with a sense of purposelessness. A meaningless existence. Life's a bitch and then you die. No thanks to that.

Since I have learned how to allign myself with the strength there is in growth and life I have learned that spiritual faith isn't a crutch at all but rather the source of my personal power.

My problem was that I was trying to use my brain instead of my "heart." And alligning myself with material things instead of my spirit. Material things have a way of disappearing.

Deal is nobody has to believe in anything. It's not about belief from my experience. Nothing mystic or magic about it at all either. It's just a shift in perception. I imagine that some day scientists will figure out what sort of energy thing is going on but we haven't been able to define it yet.

It took me a hella long time to get this. But. Hey. You don't get it until you get it.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I think that God plays part is so many lives around the world that it would be utter insanity to call it pointless, whether you argue the truth in it, or not.

The problem I have is that people use a little bit of logic to outprove something so vast that nearly every culture shows some sign of its existence, even from prehistoric times. If you want to be specific, argue the concept of the beginning of the universe. What served as an energy source? I find it kind of paradoxical that people nail churches as being false towards God's existence, and than go and automaticly disprove the theory compoletely..it seems just as uneducated.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I think that God plays part is so many lives around the world that it would be utter insanity to call it pointless, whether you argue the truth in it, or not.
    The things people do in "God's name" is utter insanity, but maybe that's a different topic.

deleted

God loves us so much, that he wants the best for us. If hell is the best thing for you then he will love you enough to support your journey to it. Have you been to hell? Do you have proof that it is not the best thing for you?

I agree with you anja, if you're stating that God is misinterpreted and really is the "answer."