• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Equality

Didums

Equality in political rights?

Equality in economic opportunities?

Social equality?

Balance in power between nations?

"Equality" encompasses a variety of topics, are we going to narrow it down or talk about all sorts of types of equality?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Equality in opportunity/chances to obtain X or Y? Yes....

Equal in terms of sheer probability? Will never happen

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Might makes right. The zeitgeist just makes it taste democratish at the time.

The obsession with pure equality is not even applicable to fundamental particles for gods sake.
It's just for people who are so afraid they suck they want to pull everybody else down to their level.

I say the economical, social and political structures + the zeitgeist (values , freedom, bla bla) are already offering enough equal chances or maybe too much.

And let's face it, what most people say and don't even realise they say is 'equality by dragging people down' and pushing the masses up.

A retard who'll never amount to anything in his life will get about 20times the support given to a smart, interesting, and curious kid.
How does that even make sense.

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
A retard who'll never amount to anything in his life will get about 20times the support given to a smart, interesting, and curious kid.

It doesn't make sense, but it seems fair... and therefore somehow right. In some weird cosmic sense.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Might makes right. The zeitgeist just makes it taste democratish at the time.

The obsession with pure equality is not even applicable to fundamental particles for gods sake.
It's just for people who are so afraid they suck they want to pull everybody else down to their level.

I say the economical, social and political structures + the zeitgeist (values , freedom, bla bla) are already offering enough equal chances or maybe too much.

And let's face it, what most people say and don't even realise they say is 'equality by dragging people down' and pushing the masses up.

I tend to agree.

Equality is a limiting belief. To say that you can't be less than someone else is to also say that you can't be more.

That's what made me start this thread, actually, and it's interesting to see the differing view points.

It doesn't make sense, but it seems fair... and therefore somehow right. In some weird cosmic sense.

It sounds good, in theory, but it's what creates problems like those seen in our school structure. Everyone forced to perform at one level to bring up the people that don't care while giving those who excel no opportunity for further advancement/no challenge.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
By giving to everybody, you feed nobody.
You sometimes have to make sacrifices for the sake of efficiency.

You can't spend a million dollar on every patient in a hospital for example, just because everybody deserves it. You'll just end up condamning the next generation in the best case, millions now if you're not that lucky.

If you push every kid up and say the bright to go fuck themselves and get into the system, you are more likely to create people that will just support what already exists than create a new tomorrow. And may I remind you that our societies are based on growth and innovation. The lack of it is pretty much what killed every ancient civilization, but I disgress.

Equality is a nice utopia, but now the sad reality we have to accept is that your everyday joe doesn't help that process much, it's the bright and rare that do. But those are too often left behind for the sake of equality.

Why? Because if you try "equaling people up", chances are people will get left behind.
So the 'solution' is to let the world drow into mediocrity. This is the price we pay for an ego boost.

equality is the coward's choice.

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Meh. This is an argument.

But not everything is as black and white is this. Sometimes it's a bit more simple. Sometimes it's just a notion as simple as fairness...

Give someone the option of being more than what they are. Let them prove it. Veil of ignorance is a beautiful thing.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
People are not equal. Their potentials, their abilities, their faults, their deficiencies, are not equal. Telling people they are is silly, idealist, and disingenuous.

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
How things should be VS. How they are

I'll stay in this world of idealism, tyvm. It gives me something to work/hope towards. :)

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Isn't this exactly what I'm saying? Or are you implying that people are only equal until they prove otherwise?

I think it's a classic case of getting to the same conclusion BUT through different routes. :huh:

Classic ENTP-INTJ dynamic. Woot.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Equality does not mean making everyone the same. It refers giving everyone a subjectively equal opportunity to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

A democratic society cannot function without at least an illusion of equality.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Equality does not mean making everyone the same. It refers giving everyone a subjectively equal opportunity to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

A democratic society cannot function without at least an illusion of equality.

In theory. In practice this equates to some carrying others. I don't disagree with the importance of the appearance, though.

heart

heart on fire
Equality under the law, as far as one's civil rights is the only case that I think applies universially.