User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Equality

I'll just go ahead and answer my questions lol :P

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Equality in political rights?
    Yes, if accomplished, it will be done before any other "equalities". Just looking at history for the past few hundred years, the trend of increasing political rights is likely unstoppable and will reach fruition soon enough. This is assuming that liberals continue winning the fight over reactionaries.

Edit: How quickly this happens is dependent on what country it is.

Equality in economic opportunities?
    Unfortunately, those that are born into a rich family simply have more resources at their disposal than those that are born into poor families. Throughout history, the rich have done whatever was necessary to keep the poor from rising in status in order to profit from them. During and before the middle ages, the lack of a middle class prevented the poor from moving up at all, but even since the development of the middle class (which provided a medium by which the poor could improve their status), opportunity has still not been equal and will likely never be equal because society seems to necessitate the existence of different classes.

Social equality?
    Minorities will always be picked on, it is simply human nature to single out those that are different from the herd because people find comfort in those that are the same as them. However, the blending of cultures (hopefully not this one..) and/or improvements in eductation may stop this trend.

Balance in power between nations?
    Will never be accomplished. Resources are distributed unevenly (hence Trade) around the globe, and some nations are placed in just the right location, while others aren't so lucky.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

haha....something I wrote years ago - forgive the lack of paragraphing and cohesiveness..it was rather freeform ---

I guess the bottom line is that while everyone likes to believe in equality and throw that phrase everywhere, it's really not the case when it comes down to it. The majority of individuals out there, like I've said before, aren't going to make any lasting impression on the world, and a select few will. So the leaders - the free thinkers - are in a different boat from the rest of humanity - sort of. And there is no equality when it comes to intelligence, or wealth, or community standing, or appearance, to name a few things, and there never will be, unless everything is genetically manipulated and the concept of freedom is thrown out the window in favor of regulation of every aspect of every individual's life. This may sound very un-American, but I hope there never will be equality, because if there was equality we would all be clones of one another. The very fact that leaders and authority figures are necessary for the human race means equality goes out the window -- note that I am thinking of equality more in the terms of "fairness", and everyone having the same cards dealt to them. If there was true equality, everyone would be identical to each other, in all aspects of their lives.

Now every human being should be, and is, on an equal standing in terms of their spirit and existance, meaning every human being has just as much right as another to be alive (ethics outside of this discussion to simplify it), but beyond that right to being and staying alive, equality leaves the picture. There will always be different economic groupings, unless like I said above we entered sci-fi-world of robots and regulation, and there will, at least for the time being, always be individuals who achieve far greater things and are much more capable of survival than others, however you want to define that. And intelligence plays a big role too, although unfortunately - like in history - conniving and shadiness can get you a lot farther ahead - however you want to define "farther ahead."
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTJ

Equality doesn't exist atm. It is impossible since everyone is genetically different. Throw in the aristocracy, and yeah it gets worse.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Equality has never existed and never will exist. But balance is still important as a goal.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Equality has never existed and never will exist. But balance is still important as a goal.
    Yeah, but 'All (wo)men are born free and balanced" wouldn't have much of a PR coup.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Yeah, but 'All (wo)men are born free and balanced" wouldn't have much of a PR coup.
    :P

Balance as a goal, not as a right. As a right equality is just fine, even if it never really becomes a true reality in all cases. But it helps counter some of the injustice.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    What is balance then?
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Equality between two different things is an illusion. And I am not seperating body from soul here because that goes hand-to-hand.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think that it's a good subject, but harder to debate. This sort of thing is easier to simply discuss. The fact of the matter is, the thought process of "no one is equal and never will be" seem so drab and overdone.

I don't think embracing differences in humanity should be the reason people don't think equality can exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Equality does not mean making everyone the same. It refers giving everyone a subjectively equal opportunity to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

A democratic society cannot function without at least an illusion of equality.
    This is my thought process too. In it's simplest form: Men and women are both the same and very different.. but through their differences, can be 'equal' because each need the other in the end for humanity to be successful.

An even simpler example would be that a group of friends, even though they are all vastly different, end up equal to each other in the end of it all. You would not think someone you've just met is on the same 'level' as your group of friends. You need some sort of system of 'equality' for friendships to work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Yes, but there's no telling whether you will be the carrier or the carried. Suppose you suffer a debilitating accident?
    This is an excellent point. I don't think that people who do well or worse than I are unequal because there will be times I fall and need to be carried.. just like everyone does in their life. The important thing to remember is you make sure you don't stay down when you do fall.

People take advantage of this kindness as if it were a weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Equality under the law, as far as one's civil rights is the only case that I think applies universially.
    I still don't know how to respond to this. I want to agree.

The end point is that there has to be a universal equal, and a personal equality.. and the problem is that many times people's personal equalities don't match another person's.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP

Its an important ideal to aim for, virtually impossible to achieve in practice for now anyway. We naturally compare ourselves to other people on an on-going relative basis. People are in a sense pack animals. We are territorial and tend to align with various social groups and as members of those groups compare and contrast our group with other similar groups.

We see it at every level of society from political parties to street gangs. We have a natural built-in desire to defend our territory, whether that territory is physical or ideological. But our society is setup such that we must fight these natural instincts in order to move forward. We make more progress during times of relative peace and prosperity. That said, war often does simulate technological innovation--necessity being the mother of invention as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    ur oratory skills are so impressive.
    Yes, I know. Thank you.