it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Any Hegel fans here?

I've had a fascination with Hegel's philosophy for a few years but haven't really understood it well. I want to know if there are any members here who have read him and really understand the way his system goes together. Or, if you can build the world from scratch with nothing but reason, showing why everything that is is the way it is, including life, the world we see, conceptual categories, subjectivity, embodiment, death, religious experience, etc., then that's good enough too. j/k

Just looking for someone I can ask questions of or consider the opinions of or reflect with concerning Hegel's system. Even if you aren't an expert.

Also of interest to me is how A Course in Miracles integrates with Hegel, because they seem to so very nicely, and I enjoy ACIM very much too.

Or, if you just like Hegel, here's a good place to show your support!
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

given that I like Kant and admire some of Marx's keen observations, I'm sure I'd like Hegel too.... if I could actually understand him. And I'd don't think it's due my verbal comprehension, but rather Hegel's aversion to clarity

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Fans? I snicker at the choice of word. Hegel was a good philosopher, but not exactly the kind of guy that have fans...

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Oh silly me, I thought you meant Katherine Heigl.

MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Fans? I snicker at the choice of word. Hegel was a good philosopher, but not exactly the kind of guy that have fans...
    Really? I wonder why ...

I only got part of the way through the Phenomenology of Spirit before admitting that there was simply too much I wasn't understanding. I have been reading Charles Taylor's commentary, however, and that's something that I can understand and it really is like unlocking the text and what's inside just really makes me really enthusiastic. I'm actually really glad for the T types who can just read it and not want to throw down the book because sometimes I do because it's so exciting I can't concentrate on what I'm reading anymore.

Some people can just write brilliant philosophy and some people can just understand it and talk about it like it's normal ... must be nice!
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm a fan. Read my signature.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by antireconciler View Post
    Some people can just write brilliant philosophy and some people can just understand it and talk about it like it's normal ... must be nice!

Hegel's more of an exception than the rule, to that. I forget where I read it/who i heard it from, but a contemporary philosopher said he could only understand Hegel when high on Nitrous.

MBTI
    INFP

I take it all in with a grain of salt. The trick is to keep each main idea seperate from the others and not try to integrate them till later. Also, try having a pad of paper nearby to keep track of insights and main points. The main issue with philosophy is that most of it contradicts the others, so you want to take what you like from each part.

MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I'm a fan. Read my signature.
    Oh. I'd forgotten about that. ^_^ Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by jtanSis1 View Post
    I take it all in with a grain of salt. The trick is to keep each main idea seperate from the others and not try to integrate them till later. Also, try having a pad of paper nearby to keep track of insights and main points. The main issue with philosophy is that most of it contradicts the others, so you want to take what you like from each part.
    That, I think, is what's so nice about reading a commentary first, and why I struggled with just trying to pick him up and dig into it. I got lost in the details. What's cool about it though is that any particular detail is like a scaled down version of the system as a whole. It's quite disorienting because you're not sure where the beginning or the end is. You just get a feeling of needing to take in everything at once and not being able to.

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Hegel's more of an exception than the rule, to that. I forget where I read it/who i heard it from, but a contemporary philosopher said he could only understand Hegel when high on Nitrous.
    What's frustrating to me sometimes is that any particular point isn't that difficult. Once something makes sense you're just dumbfounded that you didn't get it before. It just seems to exercise a mode of thinking that comes only with difficulty. Equally frustrating is that it becomes so difficult to explain because you find your interlocutor asking you questions that they systematically can't appreciate the answer to. ANY simple question is like opening Pandora's box. They don't see the interconnections between their question and a hundred thousand others, but instead think they've asked an isolated question warranting an isolated answer. It often frustrates people when they can't get that.

"The ten thousand questions are one question. If you cut through the one question, then the ten thousand questions disappear."
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Lol, Hegel must have been the worst philosopher to date, a real complete crackpot. Nothing of what he says makes sense.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp