User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Call me cynical, but I think that both of them are products of how brains of one particular species on Earth function.

Personally I think this is not cynical
    No, I don't either. You are correct. This is how all brains work - by chemical reaction.

That is the scientific explanation. The OP is asking questions about the implications of that reaction.

It's not enough to simply know how something works. One must also learn how to use it correctly for their personal benefit.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INxJ

Hope is a belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in one's life. Hope is the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best. To hope is to wish for something with the expectation of the wish being fulfilled. -wiki
    Even if trust is a component of Hope, that doesn't invalidate the definition or the fact that it's active. Trust being incorporated, even if archaic denotes it's out of current use, only further supports what hope is.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Hope doesn't need a definition... you either hope, or don't hope.

MBTI
    I

No question. You can have hope without despair. It's hard, but you can achieve it.

MBTI
    INFP

I still maintain that that is "trust" or "faith."

Edit: I'll say more.

In most humans it seems that the concept of hope is strongest when one is in a tight spot. Otherwise, it sounds more like daydreaming, wishful thinking about one's future.

If you're in a sinking rowboat you'd better not only hope that you don't sink; It would serve you well to scoop water while you're hoping.

Does that help clarify what I'm saying? Like, it's foolish to sit there and hope?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

It's comical because "hope" has two divergent uses amongst those who have replied, and in the population in general, yet many don't recognize both uses. The EXACT difference between the two is that one "hope" is DEFINED as necessarily involving despair, while the other is defined as necessarily lacking it.

>> "hope_1": certainty in love and safety, despair-free, also linked with "faith_1"

ex. a mother tells her child after a heartbreak "I know things will get better, but be patient and strong." <-- this mother is "hopeful_1" and has "faith_1" (ie. she is correct)

>> "hope_2": delusional thinking, despair-based, also linked with "faith_2"

ex. a child has terminal cancer and her mother says "I know if I pray to God and ask for my baby back she'll be delivered back to me strong and well! ... ()"

but this is ambiguous, so we have to be extra careful in how we fill the parenthesis, which mark what she implies by the statement:

... (in body)
    : No. Bodies with terminal cancer perish. All things in this world are impermanent. This person has "hope_2" and "faith_2" (ie. she is incorrect)

... (in spirit): Yes, although she has expressed it vaguely. The love between her and her child is not lost and is returned to her in strength. This person has "hope_1" and "faith_1" (ie. she is correct)

Realistically, exactly because she has failed to discern the difference between these cases, SHE PROBABLY HAS A MIXTURE OF BOTH HOPE_1 AND HOPE_2 AND HAS FAILED TO DISCERN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM!

Not unlike many of us.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Do you believe in hope without despair?
    I don't believe this question makes any sense.

No, I don't.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    If you're in a sinking rowboat you'd better not only hope that you don't sink; It would serve you well to scoop water while you're hoping.

Does that help clarify what I'm saying? Like, it's foolish to sit there and hope?
    I get what you're saying, and I totally agree.

As to the OP, I'm afraid I can't really relate to it, so don't know how to answer it.

I don't typically just 'hope' for things. If I want them, I go for them. If there's any element on my end that I can do something about the situation, I take action. Like Anja says, there's an active element to most of what I do. Hope to me can be a misdirection of energy/focus.

But I gather in this context 'hope' is referring to when a situation is utterly out of ones' control. In that case, there may be an element of hope - in that yes, I would desire for something to turn out the way I wish it to turn out. But it's more just a detached wish. I don't bank on it. I assess the overall situation and try to see the reality of it, and prepare myself for whatever outcome there is - and reach a level of acceptance and peace with whatever outcome. Might take time, but that alleviates the despairing. And the 'hope', again, isn't something I actively focus or devote all my energy towards - just a desire in the background.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    infp

I think you can have hope without despair, but despair can become cynicism and destroy all hope.

I associate hope with idealism personally, in an ideal world, in my hoped for world, and for a good part of life I was nothing but hope without despair, until despair came a knocking and now I'm a cynic lol.

Just sitting down and hoping will inevitably lead to despair kids, so don't try it at home.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari