• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Parasitic Consenquences

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
I think a lot, almost too much,... Maybe...

I find it horrifyingly delightful, that we are so insignificant in the long run. It really makes me wonder sometimes, I wonder why selfishness, and self-righteousness is slowly consuming the ideals of what a proper society should be.

Frankly, I really don't see much point in governing people at all, Cyrus was a fool for thinking otherwise... They'll just do what they want anyhow...

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
If you are an anarchist you better shape up and carry a weapon with you at all times. Never know how violent others might be feeling...

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I've been with ya on that one before, and I'd still be if I hadn't studied Smith: let the people operate how they will (within reason), and everything will be better off. Well-sanctified Liberty will bring things no amount of governance could hold a candle to.

Whether you believe humans are basically good or not, people don't behave in a malicious manner unless they have sufficient reason for doing so. The best thing we can do is to create an environment (ie economy) where it's in peoples' best interest NOT to treat other people like shit.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
And ancient History isn't my forte, but wasn't Cyrus the most liberal with his governance compared to all others up to and including his time? Give him some credit imo..... It's neither nice nor fair to judge the ancients by modern ideals. The ancient Greeks would be regarded as monsters and sociopaths in our day and age.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
And history show us that ruling with a loose hand eventually brings about chaos. Then it's martial law time until everything settles down, a period of prosperity, followed by complacency and the cycle starts again. . .

Given human nature it seems sadly inevitable.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
History can show lots of things, including the inverse of your proposition: A stern hand leading to genocide, followed by an era of enlightened progress. Doesn't prove how we should govern...

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
If you are an anarchist you better shape up and carry a weapon with you at all times. Never know how violent others might be feeling...

I'm not an anarchist, I'm just another annoyed speck of dust, sorry if the post at hand was presented in a way that allows you to judge me...

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm not an anarchist, I'm just another annoyed speck of dust, sorry if the post at hand was presented in a way that allows you to judge me...

I wasn't judging you. I was trying to figure out what exactly is your point.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Ultimately I don't think it matters which comes first. Doubt that it can be proven. My point is that the cycle has an historical life of it's own.

Knowing that people are grown-up children, let them have free-rein long enough and you'll have a mess. Society as a whole is not altruistic.

That's when whatever rules steps into high control. I think we are presently in that phase of the circle and perhaps what you are reacting to.

Edit: this post addresed noz.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
I was with you til this part:

That's when whatever rules steps into high control. I think we are presently in that phase of the circle and perhaps what you are reacting to.

Edit: this post addresed noz.

Do you know me better than myself... Cuz last I checked I wasn't worried about the world economy, oil running out, or the so-called erosion of our checks and balances....

So I'm curious, what, precisely am I reacting to? or did you mean my beliefs/attitude are a "function of the times", so to speak?

and also, what stage of this cycle are we in? I'm not really buying the cycle business because I think the world is essentially in uncharted territory. ( that is unless you're refering to some HUGE cosmological cycle, something the likes of the Maya believed.... then I just don't know :p )

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Study your history, noz.

And no need to get all defensive on me. I was offering information not insulting your dignity.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I may take your opinions more seriously if you'd refrain from stereotyping my personality type.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
I'm asking genuine questions, not being defensive(or stereotyping).... if you don't care to elaborate on what you meant, that's fine with me!

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Okay. I'll buy that. If you study history you'll see that all civilizations follow a pattern from their inception to their decline and end.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
Okay. I'll buy that. If you study history you'll see that all civilizations follow a pattern from their inception to their decline and end.

And I'd probably agree if history was my subject.... but Civilzations don't live in an isolated world anymore, and the world is more connected and more different than it ever has before, so I think it's a new ball game as it were. Things might be different in the 21st century

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
I think the thread title has more of an explanation for the post then most of you think, that pretty much sums up society in a general sense, not to generalize,... But it's true, we have a bad tendency to be very parasitic in nature, and it just frustrates me to see that equality means absolutely nothing to a lot of people.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
That's a hopeful stance and one which is probably good to adopt.

The problem, as I see it, though, is not one of amount of knowledge but rather the nature of human behavior and that hasn't changed.

Edit: @noz.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think a lot, almost too much,... Maybe...

I find it horrifyingly delightful, that we are so insignificant in the long run. It really makes me wonder sometimes, I wonder why selfishness, and self-righteousness is slowly consuming the ideals of what a proper society should be.

Frankly, I really don't see much point in governing people at all, Cyrus was a fool for thinking otherwise... They'll just do what they want anyhow...

Well, the point is that when you govern them, you create a more stable, comfortable environment overall than if you didn't. Most people would rather live with any kind of order before accepting anarchy. It's because people need and like structures in which they can develop expectations of how things will be, a sense of entitlement to keep things to a certain standard, and an idea of who's responsible for what.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I think I understand what you are saying , Demigod, about "horrifyingly delightful." It does tend to level the playing field. Nearly humorous.