• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are people superstitious?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I would not be suprised that there are similar threads about this already.

To tell you the truth to me it looks like NFs are the most likely group to be superstitious. Also I think that they are the most likely to be someone that can profit from superstition of others. Aka woman with the cristal ball.

To me it looks like that some people are quite interested and serious about things like: ghost stories, tarrot, cristal ball talk, healing with stones , objects that bring luck, soulmates, horoscope, alternative ways of regaining health, auras and stuff like that.
I would even dare to add conspiracy theories and abductions by UFOs. I said UFOs because this is turning into a mystical religion as the time goes by. What is nonsense on itself.
Probably even MBTI will be mentioned in this thread.

Question is: Why would anyone be into this kinds of things? (except fun)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because they 'call' to you.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think superstition is just an immature form of science. People naturally seek explanations for phenomenon -- that's how our brains work and help us survive. Without proper investigation and understanding, the explanations we invent are magical and mysterious.

Edit: I don't consider a belief in UFOs to be superstitious. Certainly not as superstitious as a belief in God.

Samurai Drifter

MBTI Type
INTP
While some (well, the vast majority) of conspiracy theories are nonsense, there are several that are somewhat reasonable.

I find the UFO "religions" complete and utter crap but enjoy reading/learning about sightings etc and speculating about what might be behind them.

I dunno about the other stuff. I suppose much of it boils down to wanting to feel as though one's life is somehow deeper and more significant than it actually is, and refusing to accept that humans are indeed insignificant specks on a slightly larger insignificant speck on the edge of a galaxy which is, itself, only one of many billions.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
People like to have something to believe in. Often it doesn't matter what exactly.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Question is: Why would anyone be into this kinds of things? (except fun)

I believe it comes from a survival advantage to overstating weak associations, in the context that they do not need to be valid on an ongoing basis so long as a few of the beliefs are beneficial to survival.

As a result, we are prone to all kinds of overstatement and filling in the blanks.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That makes no sense. Please explain (unless you're joking).

I'm not. But I guess my reply was off topic, sort of, as my experiences aren't shared by most NF's, IME. So just disregard it :)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
That might be part of it, but even if it is, calling that need "stupid" seems rather..."stupid."

I didn't though :) I like to consider myself a pretty open minded guy, and I don't waste my time obsessing over someone else's believe, as preposterous as they might seem to me, but there IS a line, out there, somewhere...

Playing devil's advocate here because as much as I like respecting other people and their beliefs, I find the idea that one can't voice an opinion (that means explaining his reasoning too) regarding something he/she finds completely outrageous somewhat of a disrespect for that person's beliefs too.

"Stupid" means "lacking intelligence or common sense". Deeming someone else's beliefs as stupid is something every single person in the universe does whether it's about something petty or important. I like to respect someone who thinks there are pink elephants flying around at night, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's a stupid notion. If there's not even an ounce of logic to a certain belief (and I don't think logic and faith are mutually exclusive like some), then I'd be hard pressed to not consider it stupid.

I'm not saying this is the case here though. Just making a point. Harmony is paramount. But being hypocritical to get there is a no-go in my book. And again, I'm not calling anyone a hypocrite here, just making a point.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
People are superstitious because they fear and are curious about the unknown and unknowable... so they make up things about what they don't or can't know in order to comfort themselves so they can get on with their lives with contentment, feeling like there's some sense of order to the intangible, ineffable things that they can be aware of and react to. It's about wanting to feel in control of the future.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I didn't though :) I like to consider myself a pretty open minded guy, and I don't waste my time obsessing over someone else's believe, as preposterous as they might seem to me, but there IS a line, out there, somewhere...

Oops, you're right. I meant to reply to lkpo. All you n00bs blend together into one super-n00b in my mind. M'bad!

"Stupid" means "lacking intelligence or common sense".

That's great and everything, but a dictionary doesn't identify shades of meaning. Consider the words "stupid" and "nonsensical." On their face they seem like the same word, but in reality, they're different. To say one's idea is nonsensical is not as offensive as saying their idea is stupid. Stupid connotes individual blame whereas other similar words (foolish, naive) certainly do not. Your appeal to the dictionary, I think, is misplaced, if not foolish and naive. (Heh.)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
That's great and everything, but a dictionary doesn't identify shades of meaning. Consider the words "stupid" and "nonsensical." On their face they seem like the same word, but in reality, they're different. To say one's idea is nonsensical is not as offensive as saying their idea is stupid. Stupid connotes individual blame whereas other similar words (foolish, naive) certainly do not. Your appeal to the dictionary, I think, is misplaced, if not foolish and naive. (Heh.)

Says the T to the F :tongue:

Yes I get what you mean. But I was trying to hint at how it's all a matter of perspective and that even people well known for the respect for others' beliefs are prone to jokingly/informally deem "flying pink elephants wandering the night" as stupid.

I'm saying there is a line, and that someone with faith in something should be confident enough to take the flak and understand that there are bound to be people out there who think his/her belief is ludicrous/stupid/foolish. For his/her sake anyway.

It's not their obligation obviously. I disagree with a lot of this superstitious stuff but I don't go around calling people stupid over it myself.