First 12

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Drifter View Post
    That makes no sense. Please explain (unless you're joking).
    I'm not. But I guess my reply was off topic, sort of, as my experiences aren't shared by most NF's, IME. So just disregard it
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    That might be part of it, but even if it is, calling that need "stupid" seems rather..."stupid."
    +1 Thank you, Edahn.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ISFJ

That might be part of it, but even if it is, calling that need "stupid" seems rather..."stupid."
    I didn't though I like to consider myself a pretty open minded guy, and I don't waste my time obsessing over someone else's believe, as preposterous as they might seem to me, but there IS a line, out there, somewhere...

Playing devil's advocate here because as much as I like respecting other people and their beliefs, I find the idea that one can't voice an opinion (that means explaining his reasoning too) regarding something he/she finds completely outrageous somewhat of a disrespect for that person's beliefs too.

"Stupid" means "lacking intelligence or common sense". Deeming someone else's beliefs as stupid is something every single person in the universe does whether it's about something petty or important. I like to respect someone who thinks there are pink elephants flying around at night, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's a stupid notion. If there's not even an ounce of logic to a certain belief (and I don't think logic and faith are mutually exclusive like some), then I'd be hard pressed to not consider it stupid.

I'm not saying this is the case here though. Just making a point. Harmony is paramount. But being hypocritical to get there is a no-go in my book. And again, I'm not calling anyone a hypocrite here, just making a point.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

People are superstitious because they fear and are curious about the unknown and unknowable... so they make up things about what they don't or can't know in order to comfort themselves so they can get on with their lives with contentment, feeling like there's some sense of order to the intangible, ineffable things that they can be aware of and react to. It's about wanting to feel in control of the future.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I didn't though I like to consider myself a pretty open minded guy, and I don't waste my time obsessing over someone else's believe, as preposterous as they might seem to me, but there IS a line, out there, somewhere...
    Oops, you're right. I meant to reply to lkpo. All you n00bs blend together into one super-n00b in my mind. M'bad!

"Stupid" means "lacking intelligence or common sense".
    That's great and everything, but a dictionary doesn't identify shades of meaning. Consider the words "stupid" and "nonsensical." On their face they seem like the same word, but in reality, they're different. To say one's idea is nonsensical is not as offensive as saying their idea is stupid. Stupid connotes individual blame whereas other similar words (foolish, naive) certainly do not. Your appeal to the dictionary, I think, is misplaced, if not foolish and naive. (Heh.)

MBTI
    ISFJ

That's great and everything, but a dictionary doesn't identify shades of meaning. Consider the words "stupid" and "nonsensical." On their face they seem like the same word, but in reality, they're different. To say one's idea is nonsensical is not as offensive as saying their idea is stupid. Stupid connotes individual blame whereas other similar words (foolish, naive) certainly do not. Your appeal to the dictionary, I think, is misplaced, if not foolish and naive. (Heh.)
    Says the T to the F

Yes I get what you mean. But I was trying to hint at how it's all a matter of perspective and that even people well known for the respect for others' beliefs are prone to jokingly/informally deem "flying pink elephants wandering the night" as stupid.

I'm saying there is a line, and that someone with faith in something should be confident enough to take the flak and understand that there are bound to be people out there who think his/her belief is ludicrous/stupid/foolish. For his/her sake anyway.

It's not their obligation obviously. I disagree with a lot of this superstitious stuff but I don't go around calling people stupid over it myself.