User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 105

Thread: Jesus Loves Me!

  1. #81
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Bushranger's comments seemed like a one-sided cynical commentary on the typical interplay of social politics in any sort of religious faith organization. If it's part of a discussion, I suppose it's worth hearing once; if it was meant to be the totality of the discussion, it's like trying to define something by looking merely at its big toe.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  2. #82
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't have time to comment right now, but there is probably not much I can add to that. I thought the entire post a good summary of "zoe" Christianity vs Christian religion.
    Try to die at the opportune moment then.
    Should you fail God will not love you.
    It is all about timing.
    Watch the clock.

    tic tic tic...

  3. #83
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Try to die at the opportune moment then.
    Should you fail God will not love you.
    It is all about timing.
    Watch the clock.
    tic tic tic...
    Ah, a regression to the "second version" that was being described.
    Thank you for the apropos but somewhat redundant example. Very good.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #84
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicdancer View Post
    I was feeling a bit down and lonely yesterday, so I decided to go into town (Oxford) and visit as many pubs as I could.

    As I came out of one pub and headed for another, a man smiled at me and said:

    "Jesus loves you my friend."

    "Who me?" I said, nearly stumbling over.

    The guy gave me some leaflets from "The Redeemed Christian Church of God" with info about special events and programmes etc...

    I hate religion - all religions. I spent a great deal of my life in a religion and I want NOTHING more to do with any of them.

    But for a moment I felt like going with him to whatever meeting. Just so that there might be some people who would be interested in me, give me some attention, affection, and even love.

    Don't laugh - I know it's so stupid.

    Of course that's what attracts many people to religion - lost lonely and unhappy souls, looking for attention, to be part of a group and of course - the love of Jesus.


    I too, have lost my faith recently.

    I believe, however, that one can find meaning in life without religion. Philosophy is the answer, not submission to authority, regardless of how long it has been established for or how politically influential it is.

    That is the thesis that I am arguing in the book that I am writing as we speak. Poverty of Conventionalism is the title. The basic purport is that reason puts us onto the path to spirituality and not convention. Every person is autonomous (able to discover spirituality, or what Kierkegaard called personal truth) in his/her own right and does not need religious authority for legitimation.

    Spinoza (my avatar), one of the leading figures on the scene that I have set up in the book, and one of my salient philosophical influences once wrote in his diary 'when a Jew loses his faith, he loses his citizenship'. That was a subjective sentiment, as he never wanted to be part of the Jewish community and only wanted citizenship so it would be easier to get his ideas out to a larger audience. But, nonetheless it rang very true, and I can personally relate.

    My co-author is a religious zealot, I have not told him about my recent loss of faith, but based on the writings I have sent him over the last few weeks and our private talks, its pretty obvious. Now he has this strange superstition about how I will be saved because I just can't believe in things that aren't supported with logic. And I just smiled at that. I stood firmly by my principles to the very end and he made little effort to oppose that, as he likely knew this'd be useless.

    I have another ENTP friend who is a senior pastor at a pentacoste church who was laughing all the way through as I turned his religion into an absurd joke of a kind. He even confessed that he is fascinated with chaos theories and all the contradictions in the bible, and just loves making a mess in the minds of SJs while passing himself off as a fellow fundamentalist. We connected a lot better after I confidently asserted that reason is the judge of all things and I am not going to take anything on faith, regardless of what heaven or hell matter we have going on.

    I do think, though, that religion serves the primary purpose of establishing security in society. Inquisitive people have difficulty accepting faith and often struggle, much like Mother Theresa had, because they are haunted by demons of external obligations. It was a terrible burden to bear, and I've decided that it should be no more.

    For all of those who have lost your faith and feel alieanted because of external social circumstances, I know of nothing better than going back to the internal principles that caused you to leave and standing by them fiercely and consistently. That sense of being true to yourself is always all the more rewarding than some hollow external gratifications you may come by.

    I offer to publish my book (as a download I presume), on this forum as soon as I get the copyright. I think it may be off help to many of us here, as the problem of religious tyranny is a perennial issue in our society that has much afflicted INs. In the Faith of a Rationalist (the climax of the book), I argue that spirituality could be obtained with pure reason(founded on Spinoza's doctrine of Intellectual love of God) alone and religious convention is not only inadequate but stultifying to one's quest for meaning in life. In the chapter the follows next, the Basis of Christian morality, I have a critical exposition of the New Testament and what Biblical Ethics become in face of candid philosophical inquiry as well as evince to what extent the Institutional Church (conventionalism), has debauched their integrity. In the concluding chapter, I will give a thorough account of how a general intelligent person (one that many INs in our community could well identify with) can deal with the multitude (religious conventionalism), and how one can carry through life following their highly individualistic spiritual path. One that is insulated off religious orthodoxy and thoroughly devoted to the quest for the highest possible attunement with the inner being.

    I will have the script completed by the end of November, at the latest.

    (For those who are still with me on this one, that is managed to read this far in my post, here is the Outline of the Book) And in chapter 2, I believe I have concocted a very effective demolition of ethics of Biblical literalism that leaves us with no authority to be led by to salvation.

    Preface

    Chapter 1-Outline of conventional religious thought
    Chapter 2-Why Religion needs philosophy


    Chapter 3- Enemies of the church
    Hume
    Spinoza


    Chapter 4-Why philosophy needs religion-Interplay of philosophy and religion
    Chapter 5-Science and its relation to philosophy and religion
    Chapter 6-On man's need for mysticism




    Chapter 7-Problem of Evil
    Chapter 8-Jung's inquiry into human nature


    Chapter 9-Existentialism and Problem of Irrationalism
    Chapter 10-Synthesis of Beauty and Truth
    -Schopenhauer and Salvation through depth of feeling


    Chapter 11-Theological-Scientific cosmology (1)
    Chapter 12-Faith of a Rationalist and the true road to Salvation(2)
    Chapter 13-Basis of Christian Morality
    Chapter 14-Paul Tillich and emancipation of theology from religious orthodoxy

    Chapter 15-Conclusion
    Last edited by SolitaryWalker; 09-22-2007 at 11:40 PM.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  5. #85
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    If you can't believe anything without the support of logic, then why do you believe in logic?

    (Interesting choice of words, you say 'can't' as though you are not making a choice, but then I wonder who or what is making that choice? It would seem you have yet to cast off the shackles of authority afterall).

    Edit: Incidently, I have been thinking about writing a book too, though do not expect I ever will. It would be called The Logic of Rational Investigation, and among its many implications, would show that your "reason" for rejecting faith is itself, irrational).
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

  6. #86
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    If you can't believe anything without the support of logic, then why do you believe in logic?

    (Interesting choice of words, you say 'can't' as though you are not making a choice, but then I wonder who or what is making that choice? It would seem you have yet to cast off the shackles of authority afterall).

    Edit: Incidently, I have been thinking about writing a book too, though do not expect I ever will. It would be called The Logic of Rational Investigation, and among its many implications, would show that your "reason" for rejecting faith is itself, irrational).
    Appears to be that we all necessarily use logic to get the answers about the world that we get. A blind follower of a religion does so likely without realizing it. When we point out that one of his claims is false and force him to explain his reasoning, he will reply; 'It is written in the Koran, therefore it must be true'. He relied on authority instead of his own thinking to get him the answers to the questions about the world, but his thought process/acceptance of authority could very much be charted out with hard logic. B(truth) is an entailment of A(Koran), his error consisted not in acceptance of an improper authority but in abusing logic. He presupposed a connection between A and B when there wasn't one.


    In the end, we can't not use logic, even if we go to state our justification for disbelieving in it , we would still be using logic. Believing in logic means being aware of the process of using it.

    I shouldn't have said 'cant', rather that I chose not to believe in anything that is not supportable by sound(and not just valid) argument in order to have as few false beliefs as possible.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  7. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    <post including info. about his new book>
    Do we get free versions of your book? Or are we to pay you through PayPal or something?

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  8. #88
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Hopefully it will be available for download here. In that case, you'd be able to access the book from this site for free, though you'd have to pay for the hard copy.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  9. #89
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    In the end, we can't not use logic, even if we go to state our justification for disbelieving in it , we would still be using logic. Believing in logic means being aware of the process of using it.
    In the end, this argument is circular i.e. begging the question.

    I choose not to believe in anything that is not supportable by sound(and not just valid) argument in order to have as few false beliefs as possible.
    Even if you choose it, the argument is still hopelessly flawed, since you cannot support your beliefs. If I iterate the question "how do you support that belief?" to every answer you give, we will soon find that your entire eloborate framework of beliefs is utterly unsupported.

    This is the case, because every logically valid argument is circular i.e. begs he question. This logical fact, in conjunction with the standard that only supported beliefs are rational, entails that no belief is rational at all. In short, you have adopted a self-defeating standard.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

  10. #90
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    In the end, this argument is circular i.e. begging the question.
    What do you propose to do about it? We certainly could say that we can apply criticism to the logical approach in itself ( as we cannot do this to authority), and then discover that it is desirable. Yet again, even then we'd be applying logic in process...

    I do not see a way out of the proposition that 'using logic' and 'reasoning' are entwined. This can not be anything other than a tautology because it is one of those foundational axioms that our system rests on. A tautology by definition should be thought of as a statement that is necessarily true.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Similar Threads

  1. why doesn't God love me?
    By miss fortune in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 192
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO