• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Evolution vs. Intelligent Design/Creationism

Anentropic IxTx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
What's your take on this controversy?
[And I think I indeed enjoy provocative debate for the sake of it.] ;)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Discourse between the know alls and the know nothings.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I don't know much about Intelligent Design other than the fact that it is pretty much creationism renamed so it can be taught as a science. I've never thought evolution as a theory needed any type of tweaking, nor does it disprove the existence of God. Intelligent Design I've always considered something born from religious insecurity.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Evolution and creationism are not incompatible by any means, so the basis for the controversy is silly.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not sure if Intelligent Design and Creationism are the same thing. I've seen people say this, but it is always people denouncing one or the other. They may be the same or it might be a straw man. I'm not sure.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm not sure if Intelligent Design and Creationism are the same thing. I've seen people say this, but it is always people denouncing one or the other. They may be the same or it might be a straw man. I'm not sure.

Well, creationism in the sense it includes divine input, not as in the story of Creation in Genesis. I'm just going by a quick scan of the Wikipedia and ID website, because like I said, I don't know much about it and never found evolution lacking anything as a theory.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype

They can easily be the same thing if evolution were the "tool" God used to craft mankind, much akin to God using that fiery meteor to destroy Sodom and Gamorah.

All you have to do to bring the two together is NOT take the stories of the OT literally and accept it as an inspirational work of literature. Since most assume this anyway, and I say again, the whole damn thing is silly.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type

Well, creationism in the sense it includes divine input, not as in the story of Creation in Genesis. I'm just going by a quick scan of the Wikipedia and ID website, because like I said, I don't know much about it and never found evolution lacking anything as a theory.
What are you two talkin' about?

It's like Carlin's bit on euphemisms. Shell Shock became Battle Fatigue became PTSD. Same same.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Intelligent design does not necessitate a creator. It could be aliens.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Go tell that to some proponents of the theory, and please report your findings.

eh... no thanks. If I did, I'd hope they'd have the integrity to admit the insufficiency of teleological arguments.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

I think Creationism is teaching a literal account of Genesis as science. After looking at the FAQ on the ID website it sounds like they have a theistic element, but it isn't as specific as Creationism.

S

Sniffles

Perhaps we should make this more interesting and turn it into a discourse between Theistic Evolution and Secular Creationism.

Yes people, both concepts exist - Google them if you don't believe me.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
oh oh oh, can I be on the Theistic Evolution side?

God likes to play dice.... with DNA :)