User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    "It's a problem going with the odds if the odds happen to be wrong."

Well, yeah. Of course.

I could say believing in gravity in every circumstance is a problem if gravity is not always correct. But it seems like a good bet it is; it's observable and explains the behavior of objects adequately. [In your example, endermen are also part of the system, not some violation of the system.]

The "But what if it's not???" argument doesn't have much weight. That kind of rationale is not substantial enough to make people change how they bet or how they play the stock market or how they invest their energy/time/money. They still believe and invest in ways that they think will be most correct / have the best payoff.

Minecraft is also different because you know it was created by human beings who are still changing the source code. You already know all the information, you're not being forced to figure out what is true without being able to see into the black box. In the example you describe, it comes down to (1) Is there some mysterious figure who is writing and changing reality around me or (2) are there rules of the reality that I yet don't understand but that I possibly can if I keep on studying it, since so many things in the past that seemed indecipherable are now understandable and even replicable through careful-enough study?

Big problem with ID is that it's not replicable, and it shuts down exploration by its nature; it just makes up answers to questions rather than actually trying to find the real answers if they exist.
    Thats a true thing you've said here. I think being forced to decide between whether the universe was intelligently designed or it just evolved is not necessary. Its a kind of religious, either you are with us or against us mumbo jumbo.

I absolutely think its possible that humans were an experiment by Aliens, something like an ant box. I doubt tho that they call themselves God, tho never say never.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ

"It's a problem going with the odds if the odds happen to be wrong."

Well, yeah. Of course.

I could say believing in gravity in every circumstance is a problem if gravity is not always correct. But it seems like a good bet it is; it's observable and explains the behavior of objects adequately. [In your example, endermen are also part of the system, not some violation of the system.]

The "But what if it's not???" argument doesn't have much weight. That kind of rationale is not substantial enough to make people change how they bet or how they play the stock market or how they invest their energy/time/money. They still believe and invest in ways that they think will be most correct / have the best payoff.

Minecraft is also different because you know it was created by human beings who are still changing the source code. You already know all the information, you're not being forced to figure out what is true without being able to see into the black box. In the example you describe, it comes down to (1) Is there some mysterious figure who is writing and changing reality around me or (2) are there rules of the reality that I yet don't understand but that I possibly can if I keep on studying it, since so many things in the past that seemed indecipherable are now understandable and even replicable through careful-enough study?

Big problem with ID is that it's not replicable, and it shuts down exploration by its nature; it just makes up answers to questions rather than actually trying to find the real answers if they exist.
    Well I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't even matter. The hypothesis doesn't change anything.

After a certain point I stop caring about answers if knowing the truth doesn't actually do anything for me. It's nice if I come across it, but otherwise it's inconsequential.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Well I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't even matter. The hypothesis doesn't change anything.

After a certain point I stop caring about answers if knowing the truth doesn't actually do anything for me. It's nice if I come across it, but otherwise it's inconsequential.
    I don't really get into these discussions much anymore, except where it interfaces public policy and such; people are inclined to believe what they want to believe, and on a personal level that seems to make sense.

I think at this stage of my life, the values I hold are part of me regardless of what is shown to be true in this circumstance, so it doesn't matter a ton to me in terms of the personal impact. But I remember a time when it did.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't really get into these discussions much anymore, except where it interfaces public policy and such; people are inclined to believe what they want to believe, and on a personal level that seems to make sense.

I think at this stage of my life, the values I hold are part of me regardless of what is shown to be true in this circumstance, so it doesn't matter a ton to me in terms of the personal impact. But I remember a time when it did.
    Yup, what is is what's gonna be. I'm so much better off letting go of certain things. It's like why do I need to fight to believe this? Believing it doesn't make it true or false, and I can't mess around and test it, so forcing myself to believe it for security or whatever is just stressing myself unnecessarily.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

If anything we should be freaking out about debates like science vs young earth creationists.

Then there's the new agers, not that a little mysticism here and there is bad, but they take it all on faith like fools without question.

If anything everything should be questioned and treated as a possibility, not as absolutes like true and false.

So it follows that new agers could be right AND they could be wrong or somewhere in the middle about lots of things!

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

What's the most intruiging is that they all claim to know something about the universe but havent even left Earth yet.

(And think about that: you have to write 'universe' with small letters while 'Earth' with a capital in english !)
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Society

Big problem with ID is that it's not replicable, and it shuts down exploration by its nature;
    actually minecraft is a perfect example for how it is replicable.

it's an algorithmic simulated world, following basic interdependence between variables and one random seed. when you design such an algorithm, in order to be have results you can control, modify and change, so that you can be the "Creator", if you are building a metaphysics designed for you to have results you want, you need a lot of tweaking room with specific constants. the mathematical metaphysics of such a world demands that you'd have a lot of independent constants that are not emergent from anything else other then your own will - the variable notch switched so that mountains will be this high or that dungeons will be this deep in minecraft, or the variable that god would switch so that primordial pools will be this common in realcraft.
    yet so far, each time we find a universal constant, we find that its an emergent property of behaviors. it seems that the universe is a very complicated and yet elegent results of very few independent variables, with little to no sign of any constants that emerge simply because of someone's will. where are all the arbitrary constants? those constant that might be important to a result but have no emergent reason to be there?

thus, the requirement for god are that much greater, because it is a god who either relinquished or merely decided to not use his powers of creation beyond the initial conditions.

FYI - all bow before notch, ascended NTP deity:

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    actually minecraft is a perfect example for how it is replicable
    I'd say there is one major flaw with that analogy. Minecraft still renders everything even when it isn't viewable. Our universe is slightly better designed: things don't really exist in an unmeasured (unviewed) state.

It's one of the best reasons to think our universe is a simulation, which would imply external purpose and intelligence. By intelligence, I mean high degree of order in terms of information theory.

I'd put the odds of design relatively high. It's high because the the high number of iterations that exist: all it takes is one high order universe to have been designed, and by extension, all existences below that are emergent from a design. By extension, we are not far from simulation of high order; therefore, it becomes a near certainty that there exists a higher order state that simulates. Unless there is a fundamental issue with simulation, it approaches near-certainty that our existence is by design (either by definition, or through some fundamental information limit).

Is the initial state of everything a simulation? Possibly not, but that's so far removed from what we can comprehend that it is near impossible to discuss. A completely ordered existence of all known matter could not compute a significant amount of a higher order existence*. Within our context of existence, it is probably that it is by design.

(* it's like trying to compare a 2d plane to a 3d cube; how much larger is a cube to a 2nd plane?)

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I'd say there is one major flaw with that analogy. Minecraft still renders everything even when it isn't viewable.
    Actually it doesn't. It only renders chunks in a defined radius around the player. No activity takes place outside this distance.

In fact, the very first time you load a new world, nothing exists yet outside of this radius.

The entire world works on a 'generate as you go' basis so as you move along it is actually building everything just before you get there. This is why on very old worlds, when new features or terrain are added, you can travel far and the new stuff will generate even though your previous area will be lacking it.

It maintains the already built chunks, but even when they are built, it unloads them from memory when you are out of the radius. This even can cause problems on mega large redstone contraptions, such as large computers.

Edit:
    Also interestingly, this means the best way to protect an NPC village is to not be near it at night. If you're outside its distance, it effectively remains in stasis and zombies won't break down the doors and zombify the villagers.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Thats a true thing you've said here. I think being forced to decide between whether the universe was intelligently designed or it just evolved is not necessary. Its a kind of religious, either you are with us or against us mumbo jumbo.

I absolutely think its possible that humans were an experiment by Aliens, something like an ant box. I doubt tho that they call themselves God, tho never say never.
    Genetics tells us precisely how natural selection works, and it works without aliens.

So Occam's Razor tells us that the hypothesis of aliens is unnecessary.